Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of buying a PT 809. I was wondering if anyone in the group had an thing to say about them. I have a 24/7 compact that i carry daily. I like it for carry but i wanted a 9mm for target/ range and possible to carry on some days. I was looking for reviews but only found a few. I would trust my life to my .45. it fires like a dream. I was hoping the 809 was in the same category. Any honest feedback is welcome.

·
Banned
171 Posts
I have the 845 and have loved it since I got it. Very accurate and the trigger is one of the best I have ever felt and I have shot some top notch guns from HK, Glock, Beretta and FN. not to mention the trigger reset distance is close to non existent making for lighting fast controlled pairs (double taps).
That being said I have to admit when I first got the 845 it had some issues with the mag dropping out when fired, after a trip back to Taurus its has gotten much better and has only had 2 FTF in 150 rounds since I got it back. Nothing a Tap Rack Attempt didn't fix

my .02 cents take it for what its worth :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for post. I thought about the 845 myself but i have the .45 already and wanted a 9mm. I love the way my 24/7 feels too. i went to an advanced weapons training a couple of weeks ago and the instructors all wanted to try my compact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a 809 about a month ago now and I gotta say, I love it. I've put about 250 rounds of white box Winchester through it and only had one FTF which fired the second time using the "second strike". I love the trigger action and I agree with EBK about the trigger reset, it's awesome for double taps. Real easy to field strip (basically just like a Glock minus having to pull the trigger which I like for safety sake), great case and it comes with 2 mags and a decent "speed loader" to help load the 17 rounds up.

So far so good for me, i'd recommend it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was thinking of buying a PT 809. I was wondering if anyone in the group had an thing to say about them. I have a 24/7 compact that i carry daily. I like it for carry but i wanted a 9mm for target/ range and possible to carry on some days. I was looking for reviews but only found a few. I would trust my life to my .45. it fires like a dream. I was hoping the 809 was in the same category. Any honest feedback is welcome.
Please consider other models. Don't make the same mistake I did. I bought my pt840 when I read somewhere in this forum that taurus fixed all the issues w/ this model and that wasn't the case. From ftfs, failed to go to battery, mag drop, it even went full auto. Lots of members here who has/had pt800 series encountered almost the same problems. Do yourself a favor and get a pt92 if you really like taurus. If you want a reliable gun this isn't for you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My first purchase was a PT809 because Taurus was also going to introduce the 822 conversion kit(I believe this has now been cancelled, but you can search that on this forum). My gun shot pretty well. Good trigger, liked the second strike capability, good groupings. Only issue I had was about 95-98% of the ejected shell casings were directed straight back at my face/head. I sent it in after talking to CS. 10 weeks later, I received a new PT809. I've only fired it 10 times with no issues, but my wife has continually had FTF and FTE issues which could be an issue with limp wristing. While I was waiting to get my PT809 back, I decided to purchase an S&W M&P 9mm and a Taurus PT92. Have had no issues with either of those and will use the M&P 9mm as my IDPA weapon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I love my 840.. never had a single ftf or fte. always shoots unless i have the safety on. :) that got me one time. other than that its great... hahaha i dont think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Please consider other models. Don't make the same mistake I did. I bought my pt840 when I read somewhere in this forum that taurus fixed all the issues w/ this model and that wasn't the case. From ftfs, failed to go to battery, mag drop, it even went full auto. Lots of members here who has/had pt800 series encountered almost the same problems. Do yourself a favor and get a pt92 if you really like taurus. If you want a reliable gun this isn't for you.
I hope yours was only a single issue and not design flaws. I was organally looking at the Sig. 229 or the Berrta 92. A buddy of mine told me about the PT92 and for less money i could get the same gun. Also with kids in my house, i love having the Taurus trigger locks. As I said; I bought the .45 first and it is my every day friend. I want the 809 mainly for the range. I liked the fact it can be swapped to a the 822. ( i have since read that Taurus is not coming out with the kit.) I want the 9mm becuse the ammo is way cheaper to shoot at targets then FMJ .45 ACP. so I am still looking for the reviews. here a good video i found off one in action. it is non english but you get a good shot of one in action.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I own one its a great gun. I have never had a problem and have always had good accurate shots. They are making some holsters for it. My magazines have never had any problems, except for running out of bullets in a hurry. hehe. I personally just dont like it anymore. I dont know why i just didnt get a revolver.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I think the problems with the 800 series have long since been resolved. My PT840 was an early release that had an issue with the hammer not releasing when the trigger was pulled completely rearward. It spent a month in Miami and had a trigger bar adjustment. Since then it's been 100%. My policy now with any new release from any company is to wait a year until all the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Put another 50 rounds through the PT809 today (along with 50 through my M&P9 and 50 through a Taurus PT92). This gun now has approximately 100 rounds through it. All told, I had 3 FTF (round was nose down), 1 FTE stovepipe, and one slide failed to lock back on the last round. Otherwise, it shot really well. About 40 out of the 50 rounds were in a 6 inch circle slightly left of center. Hard to tell where the other rounds went, as I also shot the PT92 on this target first. She still needs about 3-400 rounds through her before I'll call her broken in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So fathers day is coming up and I think i will add the either a Pt 809 or a pt 92 I will post when get I decide. I can't wait.

·
Registered
141 Posts
So fathers day is coming up and I think i will add the either a Pt 809 or a pt 92 I will post when get I decide. I can't wait.
Having both of them, I'd take the 92 over the 809 if you can find a good price on one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope yours was only a single issue and not design flaws. I was organally looking at the Sig. 229 or the Berrta 92. A buddy of mine told me about the PT92 and for less money i could get the same gun. Also with kids in my house, i love having the Taurus trigger locks. As I said; I bought the .45 first and it is my every day friend. I want the 809 mainly for the range. I liked the fact it can be swapped to a the 822. ( i have since read that Taurus is not coming out with the kit.) I want the 9mm becuse the ammo is way cheaper to shoot at targets then FMJ .45 ACP. so I am still looking for the reviews. here a good video i found off one in action. it is non english but you get a good shot of one in action.
Unfortunately it's not. Please do a little more research about this models problem before deciding to buy one. I just want you to get the most out of your money. I do believe some guns have break-in period but how much ammos and money do you have to spend to get your guy broken-in? No guns or gun manufacturers are perfect but some guns have history of reliability.

I've always hated glocks because they're so ugly but after getting frustrated with a great looking gun in the pt800 series I went for reliability and that's what I got. I bought a glock 17 3rd gen and not a single issue since day 1. Less than a thousand rounds of new and very old ammos with no problems. I also bought an xdm 9mm compact 2 weeks ago. I fired 400+ rds without any problems.

I know everything I said means nothing to you if you already made up your mind. Again my advise to you would be to get the PT92 and this is coming from a guy who used to own a PT800 series pistol. It's your money spend it wisely. I just wish someone had given me the same advise before buying one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the problems with the 800 series have long since been resolved. My PT840 was an early release that had an issue with the hammer not releasing when the trigger was pulled completely rearward. It spent a month in Miami and had a trigger bar adjustment. Since then it's been 100%. My policy now with any new release from any company is to wait a year until all the bugs are worked out.
That's exactly what people said that made me buy mine. The issues have been resolved but they weren't. My 800 series production date was Nov. of last year.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately it's not. Please do a little more research about this models problem before deciding to buy one. I just want you to get the most out of your money. I do believe some guns have break-in period but how much ammos and money do you have to spend to get your guy broken-in? No guns or gun manufacturers are perfect but some guns have history of reliability.

I've always hated glocks because they're so ugly but after getting frustrated with a great looking gun in the pt800 series I went for reliability and that's what I got. I bought a glock 17 3rd gen and not a single issue since day 1. Less than a thousand rounds of new and very old ammos with no problems. I also bought an xdm 9mm compact 2 weeks ago. I fired 400+ rds without any problems.

I know everything I said means nothing to you if you already made up your mind. Again my advise to you would be to get the PT92 and this is coming from a guy who used to own a PT800 series pistol. It's your money spend it wisely. I just wish someone had given me the same advise before buying one.
Thanks for your honest opinion. This why i asked. i have been doing the research because I can't afford to waste 400 - 500 on a nice paper weight. I have looked for other reviews of the gun. I am still looking right now. I hope to figure it out this weekend. i my wait to see what I can find at the gun show.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have a pt845 and love it! I have not had a single problem with it. My 16 year old daughter shoots it, and not once have we had a ftf, or any other problem what so ever. I don’t think you could go wrong buying a pt809 or pt92.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 809 for 2 years and have put over 1500 rounds through it with no problems, liked it so much I dumped my Taurus 1911 and bought the 845 as my .45 replacement and have put 200 through it so far with zero problems.

I have several friends and people I shoot with that have 800 series firearms and all have performed with no problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again i have heard a few bad report on the 800's and a bunch of good ones. most of the neg reports were from older models that had issues. i am not saying that no ones has problems with 800's; just saying that i hear more good then bad. and as a free thinking American i like to hear more then just one side before a vote or in this case buy.
last year when I bought my .45 it was my first personally owned gun so asked my buddies and they all said for the money and the fact i wanted to carry and range shoot I needed to get a Turaus. I went to Academyand got a 24/7 pro becuase it was 10.00 more then the pt145 and they were out of the 145 and i would have to wait for a week for one to come in.

So i plan to get 500.00 together and go to the gun counter and hopefully after the 45 min wait time own a new in the box 809 or pt92 or pt99. What ever they have for a good price :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
So i plan to get 500.00 together and go to the gun counter and hopefully after the 45 min wait time own a new in the box 809 or pt92 or pt99. What ever they have for a good price :)
my LGS gave me a quote of $375 OTD (after taxes and what not) on a pt845.
im going back monday after work to have them order it for me. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.