Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Taurus Tracker is the one and only ,45 Colt caliber I presently have.

My two favorite reloading calibers are the .44 special and .45 Colt.

I'm also an amatuer inventer for swaging equipment, love to cast bullets and swage them into different shapes with the nose punches and ejector swaging die stems I make on a mini-lathe.

Though I'm not a machinest, strictly an amatuer monkey see monkey do...but it gives me something to do during the long winters up here next to Lake Superior.

Most of my revolvers are older pre-war S&W in .44 special and .45 Colt. The S&W 2nd model and 3rd model, plus one Brazilian in .45 acp or AR.

Though I wouldn't mind having a Taurus in .44 special...no magnums please, don't care for the recoil at my age.

Jim

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am considering buying "The Judge" which is 45colt and 410 shotgun. Not as pretty as yours, but it is a cousin :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Judge is a bit too far out for an old foegy like me, guess I'm too much a traditionalist when it comes to handguns.

But being Taurus put the brakes on making .45 acp and .45 Colt in the HE models, you don't have much choice unless you get a Judge or the SAS thumb busters.

Though you could shop around and find a good Tracker in a used one. If you did that, find yourself some Hogue grips to strap on that rascal. :)

Jim

·
Registered
96 Posts
tracker, i've got the a taurus 44 special ,and i really enjoy shooting it,also have the model 460 45 colt and that also is a fine weapon.
further have a ragin bull 454,this gun i am still adapting to ,and i have a tracker 357 4" which is a fine revolver,but i am looking to trade it for a 6". you gotta be pretty close to up of mi. unfortunately i'm stuck
down in s.e. mi.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.50/50 how ya doing.

Say, you really got a great cache of revolvers there.

How about shooten me email picture of your taurus .44 special, what barrel length is it.

Have you seen my trade offer over in the classified section on this forum. Heck of a deal for good pistol that is extremely accurate.

Yes, I'm near upper P, about 40 air miles to Lake superior.

Jim

·
Registered
96 Posts
the 44 special is a 6" ss. i am waiting for daughter to egt to post pic.
what do you have for trade? i couldn't find your ad. dan

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Try again. Since you just cleared 10 posts you should be able to find it now. There is a 10 post minimum to access the Firearms Classifieds.

Steelheart

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
50/50, try the classifieds again, now that you've got over 10 post you should be able to access it easily.

Click on classifieds, then click on firearms forsale.

My ad is at or near the top there, and you can't miss my Tracker Backer names.

Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Count me in the group that says .44 special and .45 colt are favorite calibers. I have been a handloader for many years and both cartridges are a handloader's dream for assembling light target loads that generate amazing accuracy. I like to call .45 colt the "gentle giant" of cartridges. The .45 colt tracker is very appealing, but I already have the Anaconda, Blackhawk, and 25-5 in this caliber, so I think I'm good for now. Great picture!

·
Registered
96 Posts
tracker backer is that a 4" 45 OR A 6"? I THINK I MAY GET A PAIR OF THOSES FOR THR THE 45,probably wouldn't hurt to a set on the 44 also.
here's mine,hopefully

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That gun is the Taurus Tracker four inch .45 Colt, only Taurus I own at present...but trying to find a model 431 like you've got. Working on a possible deal, but not sure it will pan out.

My Hogue grips are model #73,000 and you can get them for $16.95 at Tactical Supplies in Texas...go on a web search you'll find it. But remember, these grips shown here are for my .45 Colt which may have a different frame size than your guns. Tactical should be able to give you the correct size number.

TB C45

·
Registered
96 Posts
thanks tracker,good luck on your search for a 44 special.
i think cimaron makes a 44 special.also i was talking to a guy who converted an uberti 357 mag to 44 special.have a good one dan

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
50/50, you are so right...too much money for that SS 431 in .44 special.

The one I have a line on is a 4 inch barrel only $300, blue, and practically NIB...had a test firing.

Jim

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got the Raging Bull .454 Casull. That way I can fire "Shock and Awe" Casulls, or just .45 colts to keep me practiced. I do the thunderboomers first, then the Colts feel like a 38 special!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The RB .454 Casull sounds like a neat ole revolver, but too much "shock & awe" would be detrimental to my old bones.

Now, the Raging Bull in .44 magnum looks like a managable item and an excellent shooter.

At least my gun arm won't do a 360 spin at the elbow when having to shoot a .454 Casull. ;D

TB C45

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
Wow, that's a pretty gun. My only .45 Colt is a Ruger Blackhawk. I cast a 255 Lee flat nose for it. I'd like to find a heavy weight mold, say 320 grains, that'd work well. Any suggestions. My hot load involves a 300 grain Hornady, but I don't like buying bullets, LOL. I load to magnum levels with that bullet, but my 255 plods along at about 950 fps. It's very accurate and fun to shoot, mild recoil compared to big bore magnums. The 300 grain load is wild, though, but for serious field work.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want to go on the cheap buy a Lee mould. They've got some that are close to that bullet weight, think its about 310 grains.

You guys and your hand cannons, I can't hack any loads over 900 fps, but can punch paper pretty good if I'm setting down at a rest. I usually shoot at about 20 yards, can't see much further than that. ;D My cast bullet moulds are made up by the brayle mould works...they have to feel the paper before hitting the 10X ring.

But I have fun when I can get to the range...haven't been yet this year and time is running out as winter is just around the corner. Its already getting very cold up here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts