Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays!

I put a 17rd mag in my SW M&P 9c and that's (currently) my night stand gun. Shoots great, very reliable. I am thinking about a SW SD9 (I have the SD40) but just saw a Ruger SR9 for $279. 17 rd, 4 inch barrel. Any experiences with the SR9 would be great. I think I saw where it was discontinued, if that makes any difference.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
35,082 Posts
I'm a huge Ruger fanboy, own 9 handguns and a .22 rifle. But, I don't care for the plastic striker guns. I have polymer guns, but they're hammer fired. I have one Ruger polymer gun and it's an SR22. If you like striker guns or think you might need a hole in your leg, the SR series is fool proof. :D If it has a safety, it'd at least be safer, but I like my hammer guns off safety, hammer down, DA, ready to rock and roll. :D To each his own.

·
Super Moderator
35,082 Posts
BTW, I have a Taurus TH9c which didn't cost much more than that and is perfection personified for ME. I can carry it the way I like, hammer down DA safety off, but it allows condition one carry if you prefer. Heckuva good shooter, too. :D It comes with a 17 round mag and a 13 round flush fit mag. Magazines are readily available from mag warehouse online.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feed back NativeTexan!! I guess all the autoloaders I have mentioned are striker fired, they all have manual safeties but the SD40 which has a heavy trigger pull. I used to own a SW 915 DA/SA but I never got used to the switch from DA to SA. The Ruger SR9 I am looking at has a manual safety BUT I am thinking that the SW M&P 9c with the 17 rd mag will be just fine, I can also put the 10rd mag in it and presto, I have a concealed carry (Just did that this morning when I took my dog for a walk). I guess I just saved $278.00 plus tax!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I have an SR9E that is my only large capacity 9mm semi-auto. I like it.
I will keep it going until I can not get parts or service for it any longer.
And I have tried others, and there is just something about a Ruger I just happen to like better than any of the others.

Reactions: jwc007 and vboy36

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an SR9E that is my only large capacity 9mm semi-auto. I like it.
I will keep it going until I can not get parts or service for it any longer.
And I have tried others, and there is just something about a Ruger I just happen to like better than any of the others.
Thanks, Desperado. I have two Ruger carbines and a LCP and all shoot great. I bought the SR9!! I like the thumb safety (better than the one on the M&P 9c) other features and I could not resist the low price. I plan use it as a night stand gun.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
I've got one with stainless slide. Feels good in the hand, goes bang every time you slip your booger hook on the bang button. Fairly accurate as long as you do your part. As a side note, I did have one of the compact models too, and after carrying it for the better part of a year I used it in a trade for a revolver. Nothing bad about the Ruger, I just wanted the revolver more.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Our son owns one, all black, and it shoots very well. Got any pics of your new Ruger?

·
Super Moderator
35,082 Posts
I do have a big, honkin' Ruger 9mm, a P85. :D I shoot it occasionally, but prefer others for carry.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I was actually planning on getting a Ruger SR40c until I found a S&W Sigma SW40VE at my LGS, like new in box for $199.

If the Sigma is S&W's answer to the Glock 23, then the SR40 is Ruger's answer to both. It's substantially heavier than G23 or SW40VE, but as characteristic of Ruger, it's heavier because it's built like a tank. Seriously, S&W designed the Sigma specifically for the .40 S&W cartridge, and by all accounts, it holds up extremely well to a steady diet of .40 S&W, so I imagine that the more robust SR40 would last forever. It is to my understanding that like the Sigma, the SR Series came first in .40 S&W, then later in 9mm Luger, and is dimensionally the same as the SR40, so you could probably shoot hot 9mm NATO loads out of an SR9 no problem with minimal muzzle rise/felt recoil.

Reactions: jwc007 and vboy36

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Thanks Taurustoter!!! I am happy that I ordered it. It is all black. Ordered from Buds Gun Shop on line so I should have it next week. Here is a photo from Buds for now.

Looks just like his. If this means anything to show how "shootable" the pistol is, my son and his wife (she has never shot a handgun in her life), qualified with his Ruger for their Ohio CCW permits. If she mastered it, then it goes to show how well the pistol handles.

·
Super Moderator
35,082 Posts
The P85 is a classic though. :D That's classic early Ruger stuff...tough as a four by four.
Yeah, you ain't gonna break it with a wimpy little +P+ 9mm load. :D I have a KP90DC, stainless .45ACPP, also. THAT one is SWEET! I do actually break it out and carry it from time to time even though my PT145 is lighter. It shoots where I look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Love my SR9. It was an impulse buy from several years ago. I used it to shoot IDPA a couple of times just to see how it compared to my usual competition gun, a Browning Hi-Power and it wasn't bad. I had two break-in jams in the first magazine I shot through it. Since then I have fired at least a couple thousand rounds without a hiccup.

·
Administrator
35,318 Posts
If I recall correctly, the SR series of Rugers got off to a very bad start, they were almost immediately recalled so that they could have the Glock-like trigger put on due to issues with the gun firing when dropped or something like that. After that, though, I've heard nothing but good things.

**edit - oh yeah, they may have a magazine safety disconnect as well, which I've never been fond of but it's just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: vboy36

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Pretty much every pistol has a rocky start, it's sort of uncommon these days for new designs to be flawless on arrival, but like most guns, the issues the SR Series was plagued with at launch have long since been dealt with.
Furthermore, based on what I've heard, the magazine disconnect in the SR Series is easily removed and doing so doesn't void any warranties.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a SR40 I paid over $400 for 8-9 years ago. For $279 I buy a few for stock. Its as good as any plastic framed gun I own. I did put a stainless steel guide rod in mine. Please excuse the nasty camera work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts