Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear what you guys think about the LCR.

It's caught my eye.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I will preface this with, I love revolvers. I carried and shot a LCR .38 for a couple years, mine was equipped with a XS front sight and Crimson Trace laser grips. Good trigger pull, never failed and was plenty accurate. +P ammo did bite a little but with the factory grips it would have been much less.

I carried a little, small of the back in a Blackhawk Check 6 holster but mostly pocket carried which is why I switched to a LCP, it is just much thinner than the LCR and prints less in my pocket.

The new 22mag version has peaked my interest in another, might be the ultimate kit gun!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input!

I was thinking, it might be cool to get one in 22LR and 38 special. I also like the 22 mag idea.

Do you know if the cylinder diamiter is smaller on the 22 vs the 38?

I've heard the trigger is better on these than the 442/642, but I don't know that to be a fact.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My aunt and mom both just bought the LCR .22 and love them. They both have trouble with arthritus and it is much better for them. My aunt and I went to the range and she said it was just what she was looking for. If the .22 mag would have been out she probably would have gone for it. The .22 is 9 shot, and the cylinder is a little different. The back looks like it's the same, but the front looks like the indentations are smaller than the .38. I hope you find one, she paid about 475 out the door. Bud's gun shop had them in stock the other day for $425, and you don't have to pay tax and shipping just transfer and $10 to the state. I hope this helps.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
I owned one until recently - had to sell it. But I can tell you I really liked the ergonomics, the grip, and the way the design absorbed recoil. It was a pleasant shooter for me.

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have an LCR in the 357 version. I bought it to carry when carrying my Commander 1911 might be hard to conceal. I have ended up carrying it more than I do any of my other guns just because it's so light and concealable. The full house 357 loads are a bit of a handful (especially with my large hands) but in no way uncontrollable. It's accurate, smooth, dependable and just the right size for concealing in an IWB holster or an inside jacket pocket as I do quite often.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I have a 442 and came across the LCR. I liked it. Felt good, light weight and rated for +P. Between the two its a toss up...couldn't go wrong with either. I also liked the feel of the Ruger LC9 but I'm waiting to check out the Shield (seems like a very long wait).

If I wanted a small revolver the LCR would be a good choice.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 442 and came across the LCR. I liked it. Felt good, light weight and rated for +P. Between the two its a toss up...
How would you comare the triggers between the 442 and LCR?

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts

I've never shot a 442, but I can tell you that I've pulled the trigger on many double action revolvers, and the LCR is by far the smoothest, sweetest DA trigger pull I've ever experienced. It's not even close.

I still have my LCP, by the way, and it's a great little pistola too.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I sure got my eye on these little bad boys!

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I dry fired in LGS. Seems like the LCR had a slightly smoother lighter trigger.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have yet another question:

I just watched a comparison video between the LCR, Smith 638 and Taurus 85CH.

The LCR "looks" huge in comparison, is this because of the grip? Do you guys call this grip a plus or a minus?

Just learning. :)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Leejack, I found the rubber grip to be very comfortable although looking at it before I held it I did think it was a little chunky but its not.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
The LCR comes with two sizes of rubber grips. The small one is really too small for my hands as I can barely get two fingers on it. The larger Recoil Tamer Grip takes a lot of the recoil out of the LCR. If your still not convinced visit a gunshop that will let you dryfire all three. I usually carry some Snap Caps with me to ease their concerns. The S&W and Taurus can't compare with the double action trigger pull of the Ruger because Ruger really re-engineered their action on the LCR.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm a former Ruger LCR .357 owner.

.38 Special = felt like a kitten was playfully pawing at my hand.
.38 Special +p = felt like stout .40 S&W out of a compact pistol
.357 Magnum = VIOLENT. It hammers my hand. Loud report. I could only shoot 20 rounds before I stopped. It was FUN.

The stock Hogue Tamer grips have a gel insert that helps to mitigate the hammering on the palm of the hand. The DA trigger pull is excellent, no stacking, predictable break. I learned to stage the trigger. I had no issues with the LCR .357.

The reason I sold it is because I live in IL. At the time, there was no hope for CCW. The LCR also didn't fit any specific role for me. I ended up trading for a 6" barreled Taurus M66 .357.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts