Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back from the range on Tuesday and was ready to clean LCP and noticed a lot of play side to side on the slide when cocked with a round chambered. In de-cocked position movement is less noticeable. Is this normal for an LCP with roughly 500 rounds through it?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Looked at my LCP Max....it has 539 rounds through it-and mine has that play. In fact- I had even thought the fit on that gun was rather sloppy. But it shoots well.
I did sent it in for dropping mags- and Ruger did say they fired 25 rounds through it to test, but made no comment about the loose fit.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never really noticed all that play until Tuesday. Funny thing was when I fired first 2 rounds did not even hit paper thought that was unusual. Rest of the shots were grouped well. Was thinking something may have broken internally.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
It is very easy to miss the target with the LCP Max. My first couple trips to the range I struggled trying to get on paper. By my 3 rd trip I was hitting fairly well, and the 4th also. On the 5th trip I got sloppy and missed a lot again.
My guess?......this is the smallest and lightest gun I have ever had- I believe I simply forget to hold on target.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
As someone who owns/carries a Ruger LCP 10th Anniversary Edition, (which you'd think might be more tightly fit than a standard LCP) I can confirm that it's completely normal, as mine is as you describe.

Keep in mind that the Ruger LCP isn't a luxury-priced firearm, but an inexpensive Pocket Pistol designed for the everyman, so having extremely tight tolerances isn't something one ought to expect from a LCP.

·
Registered
242 Posts
good thing about Ruger ,they will fix or replace it in a timely fashion for free (not mentioning any names !! ) if
something is the matter ------

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
I guess chalk up the cause to break in. Just did not recall slide being so loose before past range visit. Rattles like crazy.🤷‍♂️

ONCE AGAIN----DUCT TAPE!!!!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
It is very easy to miss the target with the LCP Max. My first couple trips to the range I struggled trying to get on paper. By my 3 rd trip I was hitting fairly well, and the 4th also. On the 5th trip I got sloppy and missed a lot again.
My guess?......this is the smallest and lightest gun I have ever had- I believe I simply forget to hold on target.
A friend of mine has an LCP version one and wasn't doing very good with it at the range. When he put a laser on it was obvious what the problem was. The dot had a lot of movement before he ever discharged a round, both with the hold and particularly as he was pulling the trigger, which was heavier than he was used to. Should've called it the "dancing dot." :rolleyes: A few changes on hold and his trigger pull and the dot stayed closer to the X and so did the bullet holes. The nice thing is that he also shot better after turning the laser off and using the iron sights also, after he learned what he was doing wrong.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
A friend of mine has an LCP version one and wasn't doing very good with it at the range. When he put a laser on it was obvious what the problem was. The dot had a lot of movement before he ever discharged a round, both with the hold and particularly as he was pulling the trigger, which was heavier than he was used to. Should've called it the "dancing dot." :rolleyes: A few changes on hold and his trigger pull and the dot stayed closer to the X and so did the bullet holes. The nice thing is that he also shot better after turning the laser off and using the iron sights also, after he learned what he was doing wrong.
Right on target...... (y)

It is soooo easy to aim correctly- then stop aiming while pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The LCP from the factory comes quite a bit too thin and with quite a long and heavy trigger pull. These two things make shooting a small light pistol accurately somewhat more difficult. Easy solutions are available though. Pearce magazine bases, Hogue Beavertail rubber grips and either Galloway Precision or MCARBO custom triggers clean these little pistols up quite nicely. Pearce and Hogue give one something to hold onto much better and Galloway or MCARBO give one a smooth, light and shorter trigger pull. Add these things to your LCP and it will totally change your pistol both cosmetically and functionally.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Everyday carry
Brown Product Air gun Trigger Wood
PS: Our two have only a very small bit of play in the slides but really no more than any other polymer pistols.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts