Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorta into the Taurus revolver thing lately and I like my Kel Tec for carry, but my first centerfire handgun was a Ruger Security Six. It's the gun that taught me how not to flinch with .357 magnum. ;D It was built like a tank, super strong side plateless design. I traded that gun, stupidly. It was quite accurate with .357, but like many .357s, didn't really group .38 Special all that well. My two Taurus 66s are much better with .38 specials and I like 'em a lot, but I sorta wish I had that Security Six. I traded it to a guy for a 6.5" Blackhawk in .357 which I like very much, though. I'm a blackhawk fanatic and would probably own one in ever available caliber if I could afford to. I only have three, an Old Army black powder, the .357, and a very nice favorite stainless 4 5/8" .45 Colt. In addition, I have owned a P95 9mm that I traded for my Taurus M85UL and I have a P85 9mm. My KP90DC .45ACP stainless decocker is my favorite autoloader. That thing is amazingly accurate, has an amazingly good trigger, and is absolutely flawless in function, will feed anything. I shoot that gun better than most anything I have in fast action type shooting. I've used my P85 in IDPA stuff because I can reload it quicker what with the tapered mags, not as much of a chance of hanging it up on the edge of the mag well, but I shoot the P90 better, it has a better trigger and it is more accurate.

Anyway, I'm still a huge fan of Ruger's handguns. Since they quit making the Security Six for the GP100, the SP101 is my favorite carry from them, but I don't own one. I have the M85UL that's much more compact and +P .38 rated and I have a 3" M66 Taurus that will IWB carry almost as easily as the SP101 and has adjustable sights which I prefer, so I haven't seen the real need for an SP101. I just can't get into the GP100, too heavy/bulky for a DA gun. The Redhawk is a hunk-o-steel, prefer single actions in the outdoors, though the .480 is pretty bad to the bone for Alaskan outdoorsmen.

·
Registered
625 Posts
YES!!! I love Ruger guns. I have had two Security Sixes and I wish I could get them back (traded due to money issues and general "Got to have a new gun" syndrom). Both of those guns were great shooters.

Right now I have a Ruger P90 and and it is a great Home Defence gun. It has very low recoil, shoots very accurately, and has never had a problem with any ammo I have fed it. I also use it with Cor Bon ammo as a backup for pigs when I am bowhunting.

So, yes, you could say I am a Ruger fan!

Todd

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sometimes carry my P90 IWB in a Milt Sparks summer special. It totes fine under a baggy shirt or with a vest or other cover garment under a T shirt. It ain't that heavy, either, totes pretty easily all day comfortable. Half the trick, I think, is the quality leather. But, I mostly pocket carry smaller guns, I'll admit. I have a hot handload for it for a "backup" or outdoor role, but I really prefer my Blackhawk in .45 colt for that, hammer of Thor with a hot 300 grain handload. ;D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have owned a few Rugers over the years, and like them as well.

I am seriously thinking about getting the new Redhawk they just came out with that has a 4" barrel.

I've been wanting a 4" Redhawk for the longest time...

·
Registered
21 Posts
My first handgun was a near mint 6" blued Security-Six. The only problem was the factory wood grips were totally inadequate. Had to put Hogue Monogrips on it...what a difference that made. My "Six" is presently on night stand duty and I'll never part with her.
My CCW and in the jeans front pocket for around my woods is a DAO 357 SP101.
For spring and summer in the woods duty, the first 2 chambers carry CCI shot shells (lots of copperheads and cottonmouths in these parts).
Ruger makes great revolvers but I don't know too much about their semi-autos. I'm very satisfied with the Taurus semi-auto I have now.
So I guess you can say I'm a Ruger revolver fan.

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ruger autos are built like the revolvers, tough, strong, over-stout, last five lifetimes. I think it's their philosophy. The down side is they're rather thick through the slide, a little heavier than need be, but they're still fairly light being the frame is alloy. You can't break 'em, though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I own and carry a .357 Ruger SP101, 2.5" snubnose. I got the Hogue grips for better control. It was my Christmas gift from my wife in 2005.

Very reliable, easy to conceal.

There's a pic of it in the Gallery.

Jim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bought my first handgun in '74, a Single-Six for $64 NIB at a Western Auto in Va. (It was stolen in a burglary in '82 while I was at my Dad's funeral). Now I have a Single-Six, 2 MK II's, 2 Blackhawks, and a P-89T.
Yeah, I'm a Ruger Fan.

·
32,808 Posts
Heck, yes! Two P95DCs, a P97DC, and a Mini-14 as well. All are going strong. IDPA guns as well as for defense. At least the pistols are for both purposes. Have to have a thick skin and go to other forums. Being a Taurus and Ruger fan can be problematic. Have to defend the firearm makes and models as well as truth, justice and the right to shoot. ;D Easy to shoot , maintain, and break down. What could be more simple? Also have the Ruger MKIII pistol and the family members have wither MKIIIs or 22/45s. Taking them down for cleaning can be a chore. But they are so accurate for bullseye shooting.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I guess you could call me a fan of Ruger. Not as much as I am a fan of Taurus. My first hand gun was a Ruger P90 I picked up 10 years ago at Carters Country for $289 NIB. I still have it to this day and shoot it about once a month to once every other month. It is built like a tank and I guess its had more then 40,000 rounds through it over the last decade, with 3-4000 of that being +P. I have never had any real problems with it and I have yet to have to replace any parts. Its still just as accurate as the day I got it.

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have to have a thick skin and go to other forums. Being a Taurus and Ruger fan can be problematic. Have to defend the firearm makes and models as well as truth, justice and the right to shoot.
I heard that! I just chuckle at the "get what you pay for" Smith and Wesson/1911/HK/Sig whatever fans. Hey, I have a Smith and have owned others and they're great guns, but that don't mean I can't appreciate the gun world around me! I had a couple of cheap (well, one wasn't so cheap) 1911s that were problematic with any sort of real ammo, anything with a hole in the front of it and one of them out of the box had to go to a gunsmith to have an extractor properly fitted. That experience sort of turned me off the 1911 thing, and I really prefer DA guns. I won't rule out not getting another, maybe a Taurus ;D, but I ain't really a Jeff Cooper disciple. If I'm going to shoot .45ACP, there's no finer platform than my P90. ;D

I mean you could go a long, long way down that "get what you pay for" platform. Some of the guys saying that are shooting Glocks. Well, there are a lot more expensive guns than Glocks, or even Sigs! Why stop there, go on and get a custom 1911 for 4K or something. You gonna trust your life to a cheap $1000 gun? ;D The "logic" sounds ignorant, doesn't it?

The other boards seem to have their "my gun is better than your gun" crowd in spades, something I guess that just has to be put up with and it kept me off gun boards for a long time. Some of the brand boards, lower cost quality brands like Taurus and Kel Tec, seem to have a less opinionated group of people and I will probably become a posting fool here cause I spend too much time on this computer. ::)

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Well, I don't own any Ruger sidearms. But, I DO own a Ruger rifle.
It's the M77mkII, in 7mm Remington mag, lefthanded configuration,
with the composite stock. It's a real beauty! Which brings to mind
a thought. I did not notice anywhere on the forum, any sections for
the long guns, except for Taurus rifles.

I think it would be neat if they had such a section, where we could
share info on the different long guns for hunting, & such. And, we could
find out what folks use for their hunting guns, & so forth.

Anyway, it was just a thought. Those Ruger M77's don't come with sights.
They're meant to be strictly scoped. I have a decent scope on mine; & I'm still
working on getting it properly sighted in. I hope to do some deer hunting with it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've had a P89 (2nd handgun), a P95 and then there was the Security Six that wouldn't group (gave a nice pattern though). Currently have a 22/45 Mk II and a 10/22.

I will say that the Mk III pistols don't do much for me but I'm not a fan of mag safeties. Yes, that is enough reason for my not to buy one as there are too many nice Mk II's out there if I want another one. Same with the P345 vs the P90/97's.

Steelheart

·
Registered
110 Posts
My first big bore pistol was a Taurus model 66 .357 magnum. My second was a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. My first semi-auto was a Ruger KP944DC in 40 S&W, followed by a used KP89DC in 9mm I just could not pass up. I also somehow aquired an old Ruger P85 in 9mm somewhere. But the Taurus is still the pistol I shoot the best with, and it's about twenty years old.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts