Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago, I bought a new Zastava made Tokarev (M70a) pistol from Serbia, chambered in 9mm luger rather than the 7.62 x 25. Anyone else have experience with this gun?

I shot the Tokarev today, and I must say, it was not a pleasant or comfortable experience. Strange and loud report, handles recoil poorly and it's dumping empty cases right back in my face. With that kind of recoil and report, it's about as pleasant as stiffer than average magnum loads out of my little .357 Ruger SP101. The safety officer asked me what type of gun it was - he'd never heard a report like that. I had to agree. When I shot it the first few times, I thought it was one of the other guns being fired.:eek:

I'm not even mentioning the many fail to feeds and fail to ejects it had, because that might be break-in. (Might be related to the case ejection patterns). I field stripped the gun and cleaned it prior to shooting, but did not polish the feed ramp, as the recoil spring disassembly process was a little foreign to me. I'll try that when I clean it this time.

I bought the gun because the Toks look wickedly cool, I love the way the skinny frame feels when I'm holding it, it's culturally interesting, the price was low and I heard some people say good things about them. As far as firing function, I found it to be somewhat crude and unsophisticated. And it doesn't look like the magazines can be disassembled for cleaning.

Good points? It seemed to be an inherently accurate pistol. Groupings unusually tight (For me :)), at least at the shorter distances. But I'm thinking that once I get the feed ramp polished or broken in so that it's more reliable, I might sell it off.

Not my cup of tea, I guess.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
That's strange usually guns from eastern europe are rock solid.

Reactions: Rossi

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
:nopics:

You new it was coming. Can't recall ever seeing one, sounds interesting.

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
It may be just your pistol. I have had a few as has my brother. They have all been very fine no problem pistols and extremely accurate.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've got a Russian pre-import TT-33 and it's solid. Chambered for 7.65x25, it does have a louder report but the recoil isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
About 3 weeks ago, I bought a new Zastava made Tokarev (M70a) pistol from Serbia, chambered in 9mm luger rather than the 7.62 x 25. Anyone else have experience with this gun?

I shot the Tokarev today, and I must say, it was not a pleasant or comfortable experience. Strange and loud report, handles recoil poorly and it's dumping empty cases right back in my face. With that kind of recoil and report, it's about as pleasant as stiffer than average magnum loads out of my little .357 Ruger SP101. The safety officer asked me what type of gun it was - he'd never heard a report like that. I had to agree. When I shot it the first few times, I thought it was one of the other guns being fired.:eek:

I'm not even mentioning the many fail to feeds and fail to ejects it had, because that might be break-in. (Might be related to the case ejection patterns). I field stripped the gun and cleaned it prior to shooting, but did not polish the feed ramp, as the recoil spring disassembly process was a little foreign to me. I'll try that when I clean it this time.

I bought the gun because the Toks look wickedly cool, I love the way the skinny frame feels when I'm holding it, it's culturally interesting, the price was low and I heard some people say good things about them. As far as firing function, I found it to be somewhat crude and unsophisticated. And it doesn't look like the magazines can be disassembled for cleaning.

Good points? It seemed to be an inherently accurate pistol. Groupings unusually tight (For me :)), at least at the shorter distances. But I'm thinking that once I get the feed ramp polished or broken in so that it's more reliable, I might sell it off.

Not my cup of tea, I guess.
Sorry Rossi, I have to say"thats why they send the darn things here".......sorry I just had to do it....lol although I have a friend that has a MAK and I do like that little baby,very accurate and a nice size.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that most Eastern European guns are pretty solid. And I think this one is, too. I think buffing the feed ramp will take care of most of the jams, and break-in probably will take care of the rest. I have two CZ's which are wonderful.

I just don't think this gun fits my personality. It does, however, make me appreciate the engineering that went into my Taurus PT145 and my Ruger P345. Those are my two .45 automatics, and they both have noticeably less felt recoil than the Tok, which is only 9mm. Really wanted to like this gun, and I can see why so many folks do. Maybe it's just me. Probably is.

Anyway, my brother is going to buy it from me, so we'll see what he thinks. I told him about all of my reservations, but he wants it anyway - so I'll give him a little discount. Sorry about my continuing lack of pic capability. Here it is from the net.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
... Sorry about my continuing lack of pic capability. Here it is from the net.

I know the feeling with the pics, my camera is giving fits off and on.

·
Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
I don't know Tokarevs, but will second the statement that Makarovs are solid pistols that shoot very accurately. I, too, think it might be your particular gun.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I've got a Radom (Polish made) TT33 in 7.62x25 and also a CZ 52 in that caliber. Like em both. Butt kickin caliber but expensive.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've read that 7.62 x 25 is a very fast round - something approaching 2000 fps, or something. A while back, there was a CZ 52 I was interested in, but the availability of ammo held me back. Of course, nowadays, it's probably no less available than most other ammo (and more than some.)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've found the Romanian accurate and pleasant to shoot. It throws brass pretty far but recoil isnt painful. I prefer shooting it to the CZ52

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've read that 7.62 x 25 is a very fast round - something approaching 2000 fps, or something. A while back, there was a CZ 52 I was interested in, but the availability of ammo held me back. Of course, nowadays, it's probably no less available than most other ammo (and more than some.)
I saw a boatload of it up at Target World here in Cincy a few weeks back but passed on it. They had at least a dozen boxes of S&B. Aim Surplus used to get it from PPU (Serbian) and probably will again. It is fast indeed, the PPU ammo is rated for something like 1600 fps.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The 7.62X25 is a great round.

I have had my C&R FFL for about 12 years and the first gun I bought @ J&G Sales was a CZ-52. Absolutely love it and the round.

I have never been a fan of the TT-33 and I have never bought one. Not saying they are bad guns just not my bag baby!

Here's some fun with a CZ-52 at night

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Most 9mm tokarevs were intended for the commercial market. The original design was for the 7.62x25 round and the people who designed the conversion were only thinking about the bottom line so you might have a lot of teething problems with it. Tokarevs are loud, a lot of soviet tankers suffered from hearing damage due to no small amount that they fired their tokarevs out the slits of their t-34s. It has something to do with the odd action. Also if you plan on carrying this piece think twice. The safeties on these pistols were notorious for not working at all, which was why most soviet soldiers who carried the tokarev did so with the chamber empty until ready.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Most 9mm tokarevs were intended for the commercial market. The original design was for the 7.62x25 round and the people who designed the conversion were only thinking about the bottom line so you might have a lot of teething problems with it. Tokarevs are loud, a lot of soviet tankers suffered from hearing damage due to no small amount that they fired their tokarevs out the slits of their t-34s. It has something to do with the odd action. Also if you plan on carrying this piece think twice. The safeties on these pistols were notorious for not working at all, which was why most soviet soldiers who carried the tokarev did so with the chamber empty until ready.
I would check your facts on that.

The TT-33, which the M-57 is modeled after, was designed without a safety at all. The little frame mounted safety that you see on the ones in the US had to be put on by the importers so they could sell them here.

The new commercial models being imported by Century have a completely different slide mounted safety.

OG model w/o safety:

Import of OG model w/ safety:

New commercial model:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting info. Thanks :)

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 7.62X25 is a great round.

I have had my C&R FFL for about 12 years and the first gun I bought @ J&G Sales was a CZ-52. Absolutely love it and the round.

I have never been a fan of the TT-33 and I have never bought one. Not saying they are bad guns just not my bag baby!

Here's some fun with a CZ-52 at night

Now THAT'S a report!! None of this "pop pop pop". More like an explosion, though I'm sure the acoustics have something to do with it.

What's the availability and cost of 7.62 x 25 like?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Now THAT'S a report!! None of this "pop pop pop". More like an explosion, though I'm sure the acoustics have something to do with it.

What's the availability and cost of 7.62 x 25 like?
It used to be really cheap; like .03 a round for surplus. Like everything else today it is hard to find and a lot more than it should be. Grafs has some new PPU; out of stock, listed @ 17.99 per 50 about .35 a round.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts