Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a small smoker and plan on smoking some Jalapenos making them into Chiplotes. I have a few Jalapeno plants and the peppers are just starting to turn red. When they are ready I will smoke them for 4-6 hours and then finish drying them in the food dehydrator. After I get a large amount of them I will re-hydrate them and cook them down in an adobe sauce and can them for later use.

Wondering if I should leave the seeds in or take them out? If I take them out I will do it before I dry them because it is easier. Don't think the canned Chipoltes in adobo sauce have seeds but I think I want the heat added heat that comes from the seeds.

Anyway just wondering if anyone has done this and what the results were and possible suggestions.

Reactions: kruizer

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I just ordered a small smoker and plan on smoking some Jalapenos making them into Chiplotes. I have a few Jalapeno plants and the peppers are just starting to turn red. When they are ready I will smoke them for 4-6 hours and then finish drying them in the food dehydrator. After I get a large amount of them I will re-hydrate them and cook them down in an adobe sauce and can them for later use.

Wondering if I should leave the seeds in or take them out? If I take them out I will do it before I dry them because it is easier. Don't think the canned Chipoltes in adobo sauce have seeds but I think I want the heat added heat that comes from the seeds.

Anyway just wondering if anyone has done this and what the results were and possible suggestions.
I don't smoke peppers, but I was dumb enough to spend a couple hours one day scouring the internet looking for chipotle pepper seeds because I wanted to grow my own.

I also don't have any advice other than to leave the seeds in.

Are you selling any of your creation? Because it sounds awesome.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't smoke peppers, but I was dumb enough to spend a couple hours one day scouring the internet looking for chipotle pepper seeds because I wanted to grow my own.

I also don't have any advice other than to leave the seeds in.

Are you selling any of your creation? Because it sounds awesome.

I cracked open a jar of my Mango Salsa today at work and 6 people want to buy a jar already. I did give a jar to the person that gave me the Mangoes from their tree, but the others are out of luck. Only got 10 jars out of the batch this year so they need to last. A few people found out I am going to make the Chipoltes in adobo sauce and are already wanting some.

Note to self, plant more Jalapeno plants. At least I have now fine tuned my planting and sun shade setup so I can grow the pepper plants all year round. Current plants are going on 18 months and still producing peppers to bad only a couple survived the last Iguana attack.

I'm also leaning toward leaving the seeds in the Chipoltes.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Good choice.

If you want to dabble with heat, let me know, I have reaper seeds.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good choice.

If you want to dabble with heat, let me know, I have reaper seeds.

I got supposed reaper seeds one year from online. Grew 6 plants, none of them produced reapers, they all grew a pepper that looked like a cayenne but had absolutely no heat at all. It was disappointing. After doing some online research if they were early generation reapers I guess the seeds would not produce true reapers but any combination of peppers used to create the reaper. At least I got my money back from the seller, I never tried ordering them again. I'd be willing to try them again.

Reactions: stupimlico

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Certainly not I, but it would be rude to bring it up on the board without inviting us over for a taste.

Well, we're waiting....
Well if you are ever in the Florida Keys....Oh wait I did take a couple of my creations to Texas at one of the get togethers. They were both big hits and gone pretty quick.

Reactions: darbo

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
I LOVE chipotle...When Tabasco came out with their version, I thought it pretty good for quick and easy flavor. I almost always have it on hand...just wish they would sell it in larger bottles.

I have a smoker...this is food for thought...so to speak.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
31,903 Posts
I have made jalepeno poppers many times. I slice them in half, dig the seeds out, stuff them with whatever, creme cheese, crab meat, chicken, you name it, then wrap in bacon and smoke a while at low temp for about 6 hours, then finnish up on the bacon with a propane torch.

Another thing I like to do with Jalapenos is to take a flavor injector syringe and inject the Jalapeno with soy sauce. You can grill em, or cook them in a hot frying pan or wok in just a little olive oil or peanut oil, maube a little fajita seasoning or marinade.. They are delicious either way. Just never save any for any for the next day as they still taste great, but will have you staying close to the whiite thone. Trust me, I tried them a day old on two occasions and I am not about to try it a third time unless I am plugged up! TMI, I know! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I LOVE chipotle...When Tabasco came out with their version, I thought it pretty good for quick and easy flavor. I almost always have it on hand...just wish they would sell it in larger bottles.

I have a smoker...this is food for thought...so to speak.
1/2 Gallon on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Peppers don't like me. I don't eat much of any hot peppers or Thai food. Very little Asian, Mexican food.
Boiled crawfish if you don't used jalapeno peppers in it. Dried red pepper flakes or dried cayenne doesn't hurt me like green pepper oils.
Mild heat is ok but hot is not for me. If i eat a raw jalapeno it will put blisters on my lips.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peppers don't like me. I don't eat much of any hot peppers or Thai food. Very little Asian, Mexican food.
Boiled crawfish if you don't used jalapeno peppers in it. Dried red pepper flakes or dried cayenne doesn't hurt me like green pepper oils.
Mild heat is ok but hot is not for me. If i eat a raw jalapeno it will put blisters on my lips.
That sucks, I like hot, but I also want flavor. Always looking for the right mix.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cold smoking a batch of Jalapenos today for 3 hours, then I will toss them in to the food dehydrator and dry them out completely. Since I only have two pepper plants this year I'll have to process several small batches at a time for the next few weekends. Once I have about 30 smoked and dried peppers I'll make them Chipotles in Adobo sauce and can them in small jars preserving them for later use.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had 8 peppers, had to eat one when they came out. I was worried they did not change color much but that one I ate was packed with smoke flavor so I think they will be good. Next step is to toss them in the dehydrator for 24-48 hours until they are completely dried out. Here is a picture of them out of the smoker. Started 5 more pepper plants today so in a couple monhs my production of peppers should at least triple.

IMG_4097.jpg

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drying nicely, they look done, going to let them go to about 11 PM tonight just to be sure. Looks like by next weekend I'll have another small batch ready to smoke, just starting to turn red today.

IMG_4109.jpg

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 2 Jalapeno plants stopped producing peppers just after I smoked my first batch. I'm bummed about that. I was able to smoke a second batch of only 5 peppers.

I have not pulled the plants out yet as I am hoping they start producing again, they are still growing, adding about 1/2 an inch per week to their height. I started 3 more plants a few weeks ago so maybe in another month they will start producing peppers.

I guess I will put my Chipoltes in adobe sauce project on hold for now and hope my new pepper plants and existing ones start producing soon.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Pro tip: Look for plants or seeds labeled "INDETERMINATE". That means they will continue to bloom and set fruit throughout the growing season.

A plant or seed labeled "DETERMINATE' will produce all its blossoms and fruit in one big rush, and will not be productive after the first gang of blossoms and fruit.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pro tip: Look for plants or seeds labeled "INDETERMINATE". That means they will continue to bloom and set fruit throughout the growing season.

A plant or seed labeled "DETERMINATE' will produce all its blossoms and fruit in one big rush, and will not be productive after the first gang of blossoms and fruit.
Don't think that classification is available for peppers, at least I have never seen it. Being in South Florida I have had pepper plants produce for 3+ years. Usually when one goes if is because it got too hot for it in the summer and it could not recover. I have been messing with sun shades to protect the plants from too much sun in the summer with good results. Had a cherry tomato plant that are going on 2 years it just became too unmanageable at that large size. Finally clipped off a couple suckers and replanted those.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 2 Jalapeno plants stopped producing peppers just after I smoked my first batch. I'm bummed about that. I was able to smoke a second batch of only 5 peppers.

I have not pulled the plants out yet as I am hoping they start producing again, they are still growing, adding about 1/2 an inch per week to their height. I started 3 more plants a few weeks ago so maybe in another month they will start producing peppers.

I guess I will put my Chipoltes in adobe sauce project on hold for now and hope my new pepper plants and existing ones start producing soon.
Update: My two plants never started producing again so I pulled them out. The 3 plants I started are coming along. Two of them now over 3 foot tall are full of flowers and baby peppers. The third one was struggling, so I rotated it to s slightly sunnier area and it now seems to be on a growth spurt. With any luck I'll be smoking more red jalapenos by the end of the month.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts