Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have loved shooting handguns my entire life, and shot a little competition in the army(early 1970s) in my younger years. We were not permitted to shoot with two hands or in anything but a sideways stance. Anything else was just not "military". After I got out of the army in 1975, I spent most of my time raising a family and working in a very time demanding career. Shooting was a rare luxury for me, and finally my eyes got so bad from age and occupational exposure to ultraviolet light that shooting just wasn't something I did much anymore. When I developed cataracts in 2006, I had surgery and artificial lenses were implanted in my eyes. This surgery restored my eyesight to 20-20, so I can see very well again, and for the first time in over 40 years I don't need glasses. So about 9 months ago I bought my Tauris PT-1911, have taken it to the gun range several times, and also took a concealed carry course.

Sorry to write such a long tale. Anyway, here I am in 2008 and pushing 60 years old trying to learn to shoot very proficiently again. I'm not bad, but shooting slightly low and left at
10-15 yards. Should I try to learn a new stance and two handed technique, or just stay with what brought me and work with those Heine sights? I am very fortunate to work near
H&H gun range here in Oklahoma City and can take in some range time most anytime I wish.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I am older than you and just got back into shooting after 40 + years. I had to learn to grip my guns correctly! Higher than I originally though, and to not anticipate the break (where I would pull slightly down and left). The right two handed grip (taught by my CC instructor) put me even closer to what I wanted. I mean I was not that bad, but I wanted more than just keeping shots on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet. I wanted all inside of a 5 inch circle.
Good practice is more important that shooting a lot, the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I was taught the one hand grip, not only in the service but by others as a youngster. It was just to way it was done in the 50's and 60's. Even qualified expert with the 1911 in the service. But I found out it is better to use to two hand grip more stable. So go a head us it. If you are going to shoot NRA Bullseye yes one handed, but for a defensive grip go two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think my NRA Bullseye days are over and I'm strictly in the defensive mode. Two handed it shall be. At least I will never be at a disadvantage if I do for some reason have to fire one handed. I'm glad there's still plenty of us "older" shooters out there. :)

Glenn

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I shoot both two handed and one handed... it's not a bad thing to learn both. But if you can shoot well one handed you shouldn't be difficult for you to shoot two handed.

To me one handed shooting is more for bullseye/competition type shooting at the range, two handed is more for sports shooting like IPSC etc. and of course any real life defensive shooting.

·
22,058 Posts
I shoot both ways. You have to be able to shoot strong and weak hand in IPSC classifiers.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
That is one thing I need to work on weak hand firing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello Glenn. Nice to see another taurus owner here in the OKC area. I hope to run into to you at H&H sometime.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
I'd start useing all kinds of shooting stances and holds find one that feels natural and go with it.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy yourself, you'll find we are pretty friendly here. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts