Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only been a forum member for a week but I have owned taurus revolvers since the early 90's. I bought my 82 in 2005 and it has been perfect. Over Thanksgiving took it out to the country with some buddies one of which has a Smith model 10. There were 6 of us and we each shot 6 rounds out of each gun at gongs 15-20 yards away and 4 out of 6 had more hits with my taurus 82. They were all amazed with the quality and the deep blueing on this taurus. The guy that owned the Smith even admitted that the 82 was every bit as good as his model 10. I pretty much like all guns unless I have a big problem with one. Sorry for the long post but sometimes I feel the need to praise my 3 taurus revolvers since there seems to be a lot of unjustified taurus bashing

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Yessir ! I don't own a model 82, but I love the simple, clean design. Looking at one, they are based on the Smith model 64 which is one of my favorite Smith revolvers. You should be well armed with that gun.

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
880 Posts
Never had an issue with my many taurus revolvers. Great value

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have an 82 from the late 70's, still works. Trigger is not as good as my newer Taurus but..........I've been thinking of contacting Taurus and asking about that trade deal they were doing a couple years ago where I could get a new 82 for 200$ and my trade in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guesser my brother in law has an 82 from 1980 and while the gun is very nice his trigger is not as smooth as my 82 from 2005. I still think Taurus has one of the best factory out of the box triggers. I recently acquired a Ruger sp101 and while it seems to be built like a tank it has an awful trigger

·
Super Moderator
35,440 Posts
I have 4 Taurus revolvers. One of 'em is an 80s M66 with a hammer block safety system. The other is from the 90s and has a transfer bar safety system. The 90s model has the best trigger. I'm not sure the safety system has anything to do with it, but they are different. I think Taurus must have improved the trigger with the switch to a transfer bar, just a guess.

I never really was interested in an 82 because I have a 4" Smith and Wesson M10 heavy barrel. It wasn't a heavy barrel, but the forcing cone cracked on it and I found a cheap heavy barrel, new, to install on it. I prefer the way the heavy barrel balances, anyway. It was an inheritance from my grandfather, so I won't trade or sell it. It's in GREAT shape, anyhow, old school craftsmanship. The action is incredible.

As for accuracy, I've found accuracy to be one of the virtues of a Taurus revolver. All four of mine are amazingly accurate. My M10 is about 1.5" at 25 yards accurate. My 3" 66 matches that and my 4" 66 betters that by 1/2 inch. Both of my 2" guns, an 85SSUL and a 605 poly, shoot 3" at 25 yards. The difference, I'm sure, is in the sight radius being much shorter. But, 3" 25 yard accuracy is fantastic for a 2" snubby carry gun. I am so used to that little 85UL, the gun I shoot the most and carry the most, I'm supremely confident while shooting it.

So, yeah, I'm not a Taurus basher by any means. :D

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've owned three Taurus revolvers, still have two and the other is in the family still. Yes, the triggers are every bit as good if not better than my Smiths, Rugers, and Dan Wesson.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Native Texan I too have a taurus model 66 from 1994 with a 2 1/2" barrel and it has the transfer bar safety system and it has a buttery smooth trigger.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I have a model 82 I bought a few years ago, it was a police turn in from some South American country. Rust pitted and with most of the wood grips gouged away. I put some new grips off a new model 66 on it, cleaned it up, and now it's a nice shooting pistol. Only issue is the ejector rod will work loose and bind up the cylinder from opening if you don't keep tightening it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts