Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,380 Posts
My first question would be what kind of 44 special are you going to shoot them in? I have loaded some long heavy bullets in 44 special cases to shoot in 44 mag revolvers but would not shoot them in my 44 specials. The long bullet limits powder room in the cases and required a faster powder that also gives a higher chamber pressure. The combination in a strong 44 mag cylinder gives short case life. I had a long cylinder gun built to be able to load the heavy long bullets in the longer cases. When you start shooting the heaver bullets your pressures goes up and you need a taller front sight.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Not sure what gun you're using and it would make a big difference. A 300 gr may not leave much room in the case for a slower powder used to keep down the pressure. 850 fps may be getting you to +P pressures or above and may not be safe in your gun. A Ruger BH in 44 sp would probably be fine but a Charter Bulldog may not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.