Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my attire allows for concealed belt carry -- usually, I've got a favorite P7M8 on my side.

Yes, I know these guns are expensive compared to the Taurus line. However, I have found no other out-of-the-box factory pistol as accurate as the P7 series.

Now that a significant number of ex-German police P7 PSP tade-ins have hit the US market for a little over $500 and up -- now might be the time to make the investment and join the "Cult" of the P7.

My first P7 was an ex-German Border Patrol gun -- purchased in late 2003. The photo below is the product of the very first range session with the very first magazine full of ammunition. When the first shot went through the x-ring -- I was shocked. When the followings rounds made a single ragged hole -- I knew I had found my favorite CCW belt carry weapon. Armed with Winchester Ranger T 127gr. +P+ ammo -- it is a formidable self defense weapon.

The first 8 rounds -- fired standing off-hand at 10 yards.

Since acquiring that european P7, I've been fortunate enough to add a few more to the "family"... :D

Try one -- you'll like it!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It's an amazing firearm from what I hear (Never fired one). I like the "squeeze cocking" action on the grip.

Honestly though, does one really need 9 of them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NYPD in AZ said:
Honestly though, does one really need 9 of them?
How many guns does one "need"? :)

No, probably not 9 P7s... But I'm a collector/investor -- and they are of different varieties. For example, two are blue P7M10s (.40 cal) of which only 1000 made it to US shores. Two are P7M13s, three are P7M8s - one a Chantilly-era gun that I carry and the other 2 are "Jubilee" issue with sequential serial numbers (last 500 with special Nill grips, engraving, presentation case, etc.), and the remaining two are the ex-German Police trade-ins with the smaller trigger guard, no heat shield, and european magazine release...

Actually, since I took that photo the M10s were sold for a nice profit, the 2 Jubilee M8s were sold for twice what I paid for them 1.5 years prior, and one M13 was sold. I recently added another Chantilly-era M8 and still have the other M8, one M13 and the two PSPs...making my current total = 5

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
flyandscuba said:
How many guns does one "need"? :)

Actually, since I took that photo the M10s were sold for a nice profit, the 2 Jubilee M8s were sold for twice what I paid for them 1.5 years prior, and one M13 was sold. I recently added another Chantilly-era M8 and still have the other M8, one M13 and the two PSPs...making my current total = 5
You'll find out that I'm not the one to be asking how many guns you need. I have an arsenal that's larger than a small country's. ;) (along with some others on this site who shall go unnamed)

But now that you've stated you are a collector then it makes sense. The P7 was just written up in Gun Tests a couple of months ago and was given oustanding marks. (And it was used) Next month at the Crossroads Gun Show in Phoenix, I'll be on the look out for one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you come away dry -- give CDNN Investments a call (800-588-9500). They have a decent supply of the ex-German P7s in three different grades, "A" "B" and "C". Since most European police carry their issued firearms much and shoot them very little (if at all - because they use "range" weapons for training/qualification), some degree of finish wear may be present. The grading is placed upon the internals -- with "A" being like-new. All of these recent ex-German pistols have gone through the HK facilities in Trussville, AL for checkout, any refurbishment and grading.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the cost of production. Those costs, combined with the disadvantage of the US dollar compared to the Euro made the going retail price for a new P7M8 around $1500. That price for an 8+1 9mm pistol in an age where many want high capacity produces few buyers. So yes, sales were limited for the model -- but they were always limited through the course of its product line life.

HK, like most manufacturers, have begun to focus on the polymer frame pistols -- because they are less expensive to produce.

There are enough P7 series pistols out in the market so there will always be a following of enthusiasts -- called "Cult" members -- like myself. Resales will always be available and some models -- like the P7M10s I sold can bring as much as $3000 a piece depending upon condition and completeness (box, papers, target, tools, etc.). HK occassionally may release limited runs of the 9mm version of the firearm in the future. But their main emphasis has shifted to the likes of the HK45 and the P30 (some may argue that the USP line will eventually end).

Many have desired a P7 for their collection -- most couldn't justify the expense. Shoot one, however, and you'll soon find a way to fit one into your budget.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts