Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been interested in getting a Hi Power for a long time but rarely run across them locally. Saw an Argentine FM on Armslist a couple of months back but lost out on that one. A ‘96 Browning MkIII showed up locally and I purchased it last week. The weather has been so bad I haven’t shot it yet. It’s a nice pistol, came with 2 13 rnd mags, box and manual. The mag safety was removed and included. I ordered some 15 rnd MecGar mags and am really looking forward to trying it out. Trigger seems really nice dry firing.

Not sure how I’m going to use it yet. My wife told me she wants a pistol for her nightstand, so I think I’m going to let her have my PT99 and maybe use this one as my main HD. Time will tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Very nice, and congrats! I have flirted with buying a Hi-Power many times, but for one reason or another, it just never happened. Enjoy your iconic, beautiful pistol!

·
23,101 Posts
Another of JMB's brilliant designs. It's worth having one for that reason alone - and it's the most widely issued military sidearm in history.

If the 1911 is as American as a Mustang, the HiPower is as European as a Porsche 911. Classics of their respective continents.

If I could have only one, it would be a 1911, no question. But the HiPower has a lot to offer. Overall ergonomics are almost as good as the 1911. It's a bit slimmer in the slide; I haven't made myself many IWB holsters, but I did for my HiPower. The trigger is almost 1911 good, and it's built for condition one. I'm not a huge fan of its native caliber, but you get a fair number of those boolits, and it's really easy to shoot them well in this pistol. Forced to choose a 9mm full size pistol, I'd be deciding between the HiPower and the CZ-75. There really isn't another choice I'd spend much time considering.

Mine is an FEG clone, with great sights, nice grips, and a trigger that's quite good, enough so that I wonder if a previous owner had some work done.

DSC09585.JPG

·
Registered
24,902 Posts
Congrats on your new to you High Power. I sold my Belgian to a friend and have since acquired two Tisas clones. Very nice guns.

·
Super Moderator
20,066 Posts
Hi Power fans?

Yeah. One right here.

Problem is I never got around to buying one. I played with a bunch of display models but was put off by the large size . . .”for a 9mm”. I knew they were popular and I knew they were going out of production before they actually went out of production. I even asked myself “in 15 years is the Hi Power going to have the status of a present day Colt Python?” Even though I answered myself with “yeah, LIKELY” I still put it off.

Those are nice pistols fellas, enjoy them!

·
Super Moderator
37,646 Posts
Nice! Now I want one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
classic weapon and sure i like them as well.
I personally would only want a true Browning hi=Power however, as i am a 1911 and Cz fan so it would not be a shooter ot toter but would like to have one because again its a classic design.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The Turkish Co. Tisas recently introduced their Hi-Powers and they appear to be identical to the FN made pistols. There are some very worthy upgrades from Cylinder & Slide and when they were available, C&S used the FEG model that had a vent rib as the base pistol for their customs and just milled away the rib. Love the Hi-Power!;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Congrats on your Hi Power. I love my FM Hi Power almost as much as my Tracker 627. Mec Gar mags. will work great.

IMG_1263 (002).jpg
IMG_1262 (002).jpg
IMG_1264 (002).jpg

·
Administrator
18,302 Posts
Congratulations on your new-to-you Browning Hi-Power and may it serve you well! :cool: :smile:

The only caveat I have on your particular Hi-Power is that it has the long spur hammer, which can prove quite painful with a high grip hold.
A shooting buddy of mine had that issue with his and I took about a 1/4 inch off the end of it and reshaped it with a Dremel Cutoff wheel,
then touched it up with some Cold Blue. This seemed to alleviate most of the pain of shooting it.

Of the Hi-Powers, I've liked the WWII Canadian made Inglis version, and had one for a few years. Later traded it for a Canadian Import Pre-B Cz75, which I shot better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Power fans?

Yeah. One right here.

Problem is I never got around to buying one. I played with a bunch of display models but was put off by the large size . . .”for a 9mm”. I knew they were popular and I knew they were going out of production before they actually went out of production. I even asked myself “in 15 years is the Hi Power going to have the status of a present day Colt Python?” Even though I answered myself with “yeah, LIKELY” I still put it off.

Those are nice pistols fellas, enjoy them!
Pretty nice size for a combat pistol, actually. It’s smaller than my PT99 and weighs the same with its steel frame. Granted you can get away with a sub-compact in 9mm easily but I think the size/weight will be petty comfy shooting +p. Can’t wait to try, hopefully this weekend.

Congratulations on your new-to-you Browning Hi-Power and may it serve you well! :cool: :smile:

The only caveat I have on your particular Hi-Power is that it has the long spur hammer, which can prove quite painful with a high grip hold.
A shooting buddy of mine had that issue with his and I took about a 1/4 inch off the end of it and reshaped it with a Dremel Cutoff wheel,
then touched it up with some Cold Blue. This seemed to alleviate most of the pain of shooting it.

Of the Hi-Powers, I've liked the WWII Canadian made Inglis version, and had one for a few years. Later traded it for a Canadian Import Pre-B Cz75, which I shot better.
I’ve heard this. I have pretty average size hands and don’t believe I ride the grip high but we shall see. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another of JMB's brilliant designs. It's worth having one for that reason alone - and it's the most widely issued military sidearm in history.

If the 1911 is as American as a Mustang, the HiPower is as European as a Porsche 911. Classics of their respective continents.

If I could have only one, it would be a 1911, no question. But the HiPower has a lot to offer. Overall ergonomics are almost as good as the 1911. It's a bit slimmer in the slide; I haven't made myself many IWB holsters, but I did for my HiPower. The trigger is almost 1911 good, and it's built for condition one. I'm not a huge fan of its native caliber, but you get a fair number of those boolits, and it's really easy to shoot them well in this pistol. Forced to choose a 9mm full size pistol, I'd be deciding between the HiPower and the CZ-75. There really isn't another choice I'd spend much time considering.

Mine is an FEG clone, with great sights, nice grips, and a trigger that's quite good, enough so that I wonder if a previous owner had some work done.

View attachment 435725
One of these days I’ll try out a 1911. I have just read all these stories about people trying to get theirs to work properly, sending them back multiple times to the mfr or expensive gunsmithing, etc. I’ve had a W. German P220 for 25 years that fills my .45acp itch. Flawless OOB and shoots one raggedy hole. I have read that SA Range Officers are one of the best options OOB currently and economical too.

·
Super Moderator
37,646 Posts
Here's my PT 1911 SS that I bought after the research on 1911's brought me to the forum. It has never failed to feed my 230 grain RN reloads, 185 grain SWC and Federal HydroShok ammo. I have about 7500 rounds down the pipe and it's only needed a new single sided safety and a new recoil spring in that time. I used it in USPSA competitions and would have placed higher if only the operator knew what he was doing! :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I don't have an actual BHP or FN HP, but I bought this old FEG HP a couple of months ago.
Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It still has it's mag safety installed too. I thought I'd wait until I tried it in stock form before making changes. Not especially pretty but it feels good in the hand and from all I've read they're pretty decent clones...

Attachments

·
23,101 Posts
One of these days I’ll try out a 1911. I have just read all these stories about people trying to get theirs to work properly, sending them back multiple times to the mfr or expensive gunsmithing, etc. I’ve had a W. German P220 for 25 years that fills my .45acp itch. Flawless OOB and shoots one raggedy hole. I have read that SA Range Officers are one of the best options OOB currently and economical too.
I've had great results with 5" and 4.25" 1911s. I've never sent one to a gunsmith or back to the manufacturer, period. I've never had one that would should FMJ but not hollowpoints. Remember, this is the design that shot 5000 rounds in one session in 1910. And we've only gotten better at building them in 120 years.

There are tons of good choices these days. A Rock Island or American Tactical GI style is a great place to start. The Range Officer or higher end Rock Island/Citadel are good midgrade - and there are tons of others (Ruger, Sig, you name it). Then, moving up, there are the Colts, the Kimbers, and lots more.

Get a GI model and dip a toe. A Sig .45 is a great gun, but the 1911 is The American pistol.

And now back to the HiPowers!

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
my goodness--I can't say exactly how many 1911 that I own-16-17 I guess--I would need to open the safe and count to be sure???
but anyway now I have worked on a few to improve trigger weight, pull and change out thumb safeties to singles but honestly I can't think of but 2 1911 that have needed--nope make that 3 (if you talk of different problems) that have needed to go back to the manufacture.
all three were PT-1911.
one for a bad ambi thumb safety (twice) , one for a new extractor (38 Super), and the other for a new barrel, 1911B-same gun that had the bad ambi safties.
I really can't think of any others that had to eb returned??
but honestly that's pretty much true of any of my different manufactures and models, throw out the taurus returns (5 of 10 weapons)and I have had good performance from the others.
I mean someone has been making a 1911 now for well over 100 years so they should know how to build them by now!

Reactions: DocCasualty

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
I have read that SA Range Officers are one of the best options OOB currently and economical too.
I have one of the original Range Officers in 45 a, the full sized entry level comp pistol that they came out with.
IT IS the most accurate 1911 that I have in my hands. now its NOT the most accurate pistol I own in a centerfire but it is the most accurate 1911.
a great weapon for the money for sure, flawless , tight, well fitted, well made.

Attachments

Reactions: DocCasualty
1 - 20 of 55 Posts