Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Texas laws that would keep me from shipping a revolver directly to Taurus / Rossi and receiving it back WITHOUT having to go through an FFL? Who would, of course, charge me.

Also, do they send any shipping documents or container? I know they have to go through Fed Ex or other overnight carrier.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Not in Texas - you can ship from/to without FFL - however it may cost you more to ship as FFL can use cheaper methods. I've shipped two pistols back to Taurus for repair. Sent both FedEx ground before I knew it wasn't kosher and that Taurus should have picked up freight cause they were both very new at the time. Cost was less than $12 for each. Both were accepted by Taurus, so presume they don't really give a flip how shipped. I do believe though that had the pistols been stolen in transit FedEx would have told me to go pound sand if I tried to make a claim.

Was perusing the S&W site the other day and checked their policy for returns - didn't say anything about next day service, just had to meet laws - and frankly I've read so much conflicting info at FedEx, UPS and Fed sites, I'm still not sure what is required - and past caring. Personally, if the gun cost me $300-$350 new and had to pay $150 total freight there and back for repair, I'd take my chances again with ground or just trash the pistol. That's me.

I packed up in the original plastic box and then a cardboard shipping container. If gun is new, you will have to argue with Taurus over whether they pay shipping or not.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
The LGS I've talked to is that you have to ship a handgun via FedEx OVERNIGHT; that's the only shipper that will handle handguns and it has to be shipped overnight. Rifles and lower receivers can be shipped USPS. Talk to your LGS.

Or you can be sneaky like Wino. :)

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
The LGS I've talked to is that you have to ship a handgun via FedEx OVERNIGHT; that's the only shipper that will handle handguns and it has to be shipped overnight. Rifles and lower receivers can be shipped USPS. Talk to your LGS.

Or you can be sneaky like Wino. :)
I prefer "uninformed". LOL Although now that I semi-know, it's a bad attitude that requiring overnight is a requirement and unreasonably expensive.

In any case, at least Taurus paid the freight back. Not sure if that was because they were both less than a year old or SOP for warranty repairs - I suspect the former.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can ship it yourself to Taurus, and they can return it to you directly (no FFL required). As a private individual, you cannot ship USPS. Your FFL can, and they might charge $15 or $20 for outgoing shipments. See 432 Mailability

Other common carriers do accept firearms.

UPS: UPS: Shipping Firearms
FedEx's rules seem to suggest they don't, but I know that they do: FedEx Express Terms and Conditions and FedEx Ground Tariff
Lone Star Overnight: http://www.lso.com/2012LSOServiceGuide.pdf (page 21)

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Only reason you'd have to go through an FFL is if they wind up replacing the gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts