Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Dang. If it was 20 lbs I'd move there.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I believe that Titegroup is experiencing a decline in popularity. In higher pressure cartridges like the 9mm where it was very popular among competitors, it also had its detractors: smokey, leading and melting polymer coating. Even some reports of melting front fiber optic sights. I order poly-coated from SNS Casting and they have gone so far as asking customers not to use powders with these characteristics with their poly-coated bullets. https://www.snscasting.com/ They don't single-out Titegroup, but it was likely the most prominent in their concern. It's one of the hottest burning handgun powders on the market.

That's not to say that it doesn't have its uses. First, it is not sensitive to powder positioning in the case. That can be very important for powders giving low charge weights and filling only a small portion of the case. Its best use, IMO, is in low pressure target rounds like the .38 Special and .45 ACP and other cartridges with low operating pressures.

With the addition of poly-coated bullets we've seen powders being formulated specifically for them like Alliant Sport Pistol and Winchester W244. Another great powder that isn't sensitive to powder positioning, or having extremely high burn temps is AA #2, that until recently is one I kind of over-looked, personally.

SNS says to stay away from the fastest 15 powders on Hodgdon's burn rate chart with the exceptions of Ramshot Competition, Red Dot and N310. Since the importation ceased for Clays made by ADI in Australia, Competition has increased in popularity, particularly with 147 gr. bullets in 9mm for Minor Power Factor. ;)

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that Titegroup is experiencing a decline in popularity. In higher pressure cartridges like the 9mm where it was very popular among competitors, it also had its detractors: smokey, leading and melting polymer coating. Even some reports of melting front fiber optic sights. I order poly-coated from SNS Casting and they have gone so far as asking customers not to use powders with these characteristics with their poly-coated bullets. https://www.snscasting.com/ They don't single-out Titegroup, but it was likely the most prominent in their concern. It's one of the hottest burning handgun powders on the market.

That's not to say that it doesn't have its uses. First, it is not sensitive to powder positioning in the case. That can be very important for powders giving low charge weights and filling only a small portion of the case. Its best use, IMO, is in low pressure target rounds like the .38 Special and .45 ACP and other cartridges with low operating pressures.

With the addition of poly-coated bullets we've seen powders being formulated specifically for them like Alliant Sport Pistol and Winchester W244. Another great powder that isn't sensitive to powder positioning, or having extremely high burn temps is AA #2, that until recently is one I kind of over-looked, personally.

SNS says to stay away from the fastest 15 powders on Hodgdon's burn rate chart with the exceptions of Ramshot Competition, Red Dot and N310. Since the importation ceased for Clays made by ADI in Australia, Competition has increased in popularity, particularly with 147 gr. bullets in 9mm for Minor Power Factor. ;)
I still have a can on the shelf, but I quit loading it because of the smoke (I primarily load lead) and the small window between starting and max loads. I like a little better case fill that allows me to spot a charge that looks wrong more easily.

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
969 Posts
I still have a can on the shelf, but I quit loading it because of the smoke (I primarily load lead) and the small window between starting and max loads. I like a little better case fill that allows me to spot a charge that looks wrong more easily.
I should have mentioned that smoke is an indicator that lead is being melted at least on the heel of the bullet. It gets worse without the lead bullet sealing completely in the bore, letting the super-heated gasses to pass over the heel and along the sides of the bullet. I just wouldn't use it in any high pressure load, but for something like .380, .38 Sp and .45 ACP it's okay.;)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Great Price Thanks for the heads up Jimb1972! The seller is only a few miles from my house.

But with over 25 pound of powders in stock, I really can't justifying buying 16 pounds of powder I don't use.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great Price Thanks for the heads up Jimb1972! The seller is only a few miles from my house.

But with over 25 pound of powders in stock, I really can't justifying buying 16 pounds of powder I don't use.
If it was Varget at that price I would be on the road, damn the snow! I personally have no use for titegroup, but I know a lot of people love it.

Reactions: Bruntson
1 - 7 of 7 Posts