Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never shot a handgun that has porting, nor even seen one in action. I've read both positive and negative reviews about this feature, and would love to learn more about it first-hand before I shell out the "long green" for my next revolver...

If you have a 608 or a 627 and you live within a reasonable driving distance of San Antonio, Texas, would you be interested in me treating you to lunch and then going to shoot a few rounds? Heck, it doesn't hurt to ask. ;D

Amistad

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like there is no frequent reader of this forum living in Alamo-land who is interested in my proposal. So I've got some more reading and research to do. Short of actually being able to fire the guns that I'm considering, I'm pleased that I have been able to handle them both at a nearby shop...

Amistad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just saw your post. I live in Bulverde and have a 608. We may be able to get together if it is during the week. There is a range about 4 or 5 miles from my house.

C W Lenz

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there, CW!

I'll bet you're speaking of Cedar Ridge Range, no? Though I usually go to Bracken Range, I've gone to Cedar Ridge a couple of times recently, and I like it. (I'm about 15 miles from it.)

As to being off during the week, I'll be off tomorrow through Friday (March 5th - 7th) and would love to get with you and see your 608 in action. Please drop me a note at amistadamigoATgmail.invalid and we'll go from there. (Be sure and change the AT to @ and make the last part com rather than invalid. Thanks!

Amistad

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Friends, did y'all hear me shouting about two hours ago? Yes, that low rumble that you heard along about then was probably me shouting with joy. :D A very kind and wonderful person saw my query about wishing that I could shoot a 608. As a result, I pumped about 25 rounds each of .38 and .357 through a beautiful 608 with 6 1/2" barrel. The result? I'm hunting for the lowest price I can find and will have one in the next day or so. What a gun! Absolutely awesome!

Thank you, cwlenz! You're the man! ;D

Amistad

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was my pleasure to meet you and help out. The way you shot my 608 I know you will be very happy with your own.
These forums are really great to get info on areas of your interest, and to meet folks of like interest.
As I mentioned, can't wait to get some of the Hornady LEVERevolution .357 ammo and see how that works with that Red Dot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CW, I am really excited about getting this gun! BTW, here is that photo that I took yesterday after firing two cylinder's full. (My wife was happy to see that I didn't suffer the embarrassment of missing the target completely, as she had earlier joked with me about.) ;D

http://www.freshonmymind.com/608/target/taurus-608.jpg

For just picking up a gun that I'd never held, and "cutting loose" freehand at 11 yards, I was pleased with the results. I think I mentioned to you while we were there at the range that I think I might have shot a little better had the gun not had the scope mount on it. I found it a little distracting trying to find my point of aim looking through under the mount. Once I have a new one in hand with full open sights, I hope to tighten that up a bit.

Once again, thank you ever so much for your generous and willing spirit in letting me shoot your gun. May your tribe increase!

Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts