Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
633 Squadron

In 7 parts...part 7 is on the last screen.

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
The movie was on Officer and a movie on the Military History Channel fairly recently. I think I stayed up until 2 AM watching it. Great flick. The Mosquito squadrons were called on for a number of specialty raids including German Stockades and Gestapho headquarters in countries outside of Germany, Holland and Norway I think. In most cases, the Gestapho were going to carry out mass executions, so the prisoners were at risk of being killed in the bombing, but at least they had a chance to escape if they lived through the bombing. Otherwise, they were dead anyway. The Mosquito airframe was made almost entirely from wood due to the shortage of aluminum, and was fast and agile.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I just got done watching "Chosin" about the Korean war Chosin battle. It was done completely with survivors and did not once reference the famous ones such as Chesty Puller. Dealt mostly with Marines but did not forget there were Army there as well. Enough to drag tears out of almost anyone.

Sarge

·
Super Moderator
26,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another:

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
Wake Island with William Bendix (later a TV series, "The Life of Riley") was made well before the war was over. It was more made for recruiting than actual fact. Lots of non factual Hollywood than anything, but a good awareness, recruiting and war bond selling movie.

"Bridge on the River Quai" had great music, somewhat got the jest of the building of the bridge , but was also highly inaccurate in many ways. A "Bridge Too Far" was historically pretty accurate.

Were I a High School History Teacher, I would show "Saving Private Ryan," "Band of Brothers," Flags of Our Fathers," and Wind Talkers" and give a test on each one. I would show the first 20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" at least twice to give the class a real idea of the price paid for freedom.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
The Mosquito was one heck of an aircraft like Jake mentioned wooden but fast and agile!

Useless trivia - a Mosquito named "Freddie" flew the most bomber missions of any other allied aircraft, 213. It crashed a couple days after VE day in Canada.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts