Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I would like to know how your wife likes it. My wife just started shooting last year and shoots a PT-22 and my Ruger Mark III and I'm trying to get her to something larger. That might be a good choice.
She doesn't, she wanted something that if needed that she could get to quick and keep things simple. All she wants to have to do in the moment is aim and pull the trigger. She didn't care for the weight of my standard weight 85 sized framed pistols so I picked up an Ultra Light 5 shot which has become my carry choice. I have now supplied her with a Taurus 856 Hylite magnesium 6 shot which is the same weight as the Ultra, but holds 6 rounds. Or as the advertisement reads 20% great fire power...LOL!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I bought an older model 85 a few years ago for concealed carry. It now belongs to my wife. She saw it, shot it and then claimed it as her own. She had a Beretta 21a in .22lR that she loved, but she refused to carry a round in the chamber. I demonstratd just how difficult it was to rack the slide under stress and she gave it up for the "better" firepower of the .38 special and the always loaded chamber of the revolver. My wife is very petite with tiny hands, so we bought a small set of wood grips for the 85. She declared it "pretty" and she now carries it everywhere she goes.
She doesn't use +P ammo as this could shorten the life of the older revolver and increase recoil.
Your wife should get along with the 85 just fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought an older model 85 a few years ago for concealed carry. It now belongs to my wife. She saw it, shot it and then claimed it as her own. She had a Beretta 21a in .22lR that she loved, but she refused to carry a round in the chamber. I demonstratd just how difficult it was to rack the slide under stress and she gave it up for the "better" firepower of the .38 special and the always loaded chamber of the revolver. My wife is very petite with tiny hands, so we bought a small set of wood grips for the 85. She declared it "pretty" and she now carries it everywhere she goes.
She doesn't use +P ammo as this could shorten the life of the older revolver and increase recoil.
Your wife should get along with the 85 just fine.
My wife wants to make hers "pretty" too! Lol. I'm getting her a pink houge grip for it...

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
Just picked up a stainless model 85 ultra lite 38 for the wife. Love the feel of this gun and can't wait to take her to shoot it. Anyone have one of these? How do you like it?
Congrats on the new M85 ultra lite stainless .38!

I've owned this blued M85 for over 21 years and it is still a great handgun that has given me absolutely NO problems.

The only thing I've done to it is keep it clean and lightly lubed, and dressed it up with a new pair of Taurus rubber grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got one for my wife and she loves it. She was getting tired after 20-25 rounds because of the strong double action pull. I replaced the springs for a lighter pull and she can go all day with it. She has become one hell of a shot, at 15 feet 90% center mass hits from her side shooting double action.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Just picked up a stainless model 85 ultra lite 38 for the wife. Love the feel of this gun and can't wait to take her to shoot it. Anyone have one of these? How do you like it?

Yeah, I got one of those. I have it in my rotation for EDC, nice and light, compact, 5 rounds of .38 special plus P and reliable as one of those assault rocks....

Gun Revolver Starting pistol Trigger

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's exactly it and did you just take it to a gunsmith to have the pull lightened? I've fired it with snap caps and the trigger feels quite heavy....so far, without live firing it, the heavy pull is the only thing I could see being a prob...
You can do the springs yourself, easy job. A friend (a smith) did mine, he also polished the trigger and removed a few burs. Gun works flawlessly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.