Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, new guy, new gun here. PT145 Pro, I've noticed that when the slide is in the locked back position, the release button is extremely difficult to pull down to release the slider, so much so that it requires two hands to press it... This is a brand new piece with zero shots fired. I'm normally a revolver person, this is my first semi-auto so Im really not sure what to expect, it just seems like a lot of work the get the button to disengage..... Any input? Thanks..

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Hello from Piqua Ohio.
I have a PT111 and had the same problem until I got the pistol broken in. I will say that with mine it I was able to work the release with a loaded mag in place. Also if you pull back on the slide while working the release it could be done. As I sad though after a good cleaning and a few hundred rounds I have no problems now.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins.. My PT145 was the same way "at first", but like "Mknight" it broke in and works nicely...You'll love it!!

·
Registered
27,532 Posts
The button isn't meant to be used to drop the slide. If you are dropping the slide after reloading, just pull the slide back and release. Under stress, or if training to deal with stress situations, don't even worry about release, just rack the slide back with the palm of your hand rather than fingertips.
If you are dropping the slide on an empty firearm, pull the slide back with the left hand, depress the slide release and release the slide.

The reasoning behind the above advice is that fine motor skills disappear when adrenaline is pumping. Racking the slide is done with large motor movements and will be far more reliable when needed.
Guns are designed with this in mind.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, so with a loaded clip in the gun, all I need to do is pull the slide back and it will automaticly release without the use of the button? Im I reading this correctly?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The button isn't meant to be used to drop the slide.
That's just not true. While you can get it to drop by pulling back on the slide and letting go, dropping the slide is exactly why that button is there. Kahr even cautions against slingshotting the slide and specifically tells you only to do it with the slide release. If you decide you'd rather not use the slide release, then make sure when you slingshot the slide you don't ride the slide forward with your hand as it can cause failures to fully chamber rounds. Just keep pulling back until it slips out of your fingers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
dbeardslee, I always use the slide release button. The slingshot method just doesn't work for me. It is a personal preference. It seems to me to be an extra waste of my energy to slingshot. Left hand on full mag and right thumb on slide release makes for quicker follow on rounds.

·
Registered
27,532 Posts
Ah, so with a loaded clip in the gun, all I need to do is pull the slide back and it will automaticly release without the use of the button? Im I reading this correctly?
Yes :)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Back in the day at the combat in cities course they used to teach on Fort Bragg (think late 70's early 80's) they taught to release the slide on a 1911 using your non firing thumb to push down the slide release. I had issues with using the non firing hand to do it, and I asked my platoon leader why you were supposed to use your non firing hand. He said "because it is physically impossible to do it with your firing hand." I just happened to have a 1911 in my hand with the slide back when he said that, and before the echo had faded I pushed the slide release down with my firing thumb and the slide snapped forward. He paused for a second and said "well....everybody doesn't have monkey thumbs." :D

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
IMO, better to have a tight gun that needs to be broken in, rather than one that is sloppy from the get go....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd imagine some of these military issue 1911's are pretty worn out by now. Well, this information was well worth the price of admission! Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'd imagine some of these military issue 1911's are pretty worn out by now. Well, this information was well worth the price of admission! Thanks y'all!
I'll take that bet. My brother still has the 1911 my dad carried in WWII, and it's a long way from being worn out - and it was old when it was issued to dad. Gotta be about 85 now. Those things NEVER wear out - at least I've never been able to do it. :D

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Maintain it and it will last longer than you will.... :)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I wonder if these little 145's will last that long....
It'll last a lifetime - that's what the warranty is for. :D Seriously, though, I doubt a polymer weapon will last as long as one made entirely of steel.

·
Super Moderator
19,886 Posts
Hey there, new guy, new gun here. PT145 Pro, I've noticed that when the slide is in the locked back position, the release button is extremely difficult to pull down to release the slider, so much so that it requires two hands to press it... This is a brand new piece with zero shots fired. I'm normally a revolver person, this is my first semi-auto so Im really not sure what to expect, it just seems like a lot of work the get the button to disengage..... Any input? Thanks..
If I have an empty mag, the slide release can be difficult and I usually have to retract the slide back a mm or so then it releases. When a loaded mag in place, though, the slide zips back into battery with minimal pressure to the release button. I think that the wall of the cartridge casing presses against something (in the case of a loaded mag) which allows the slide release to be pressed and activated.

In reference to another post in this thread, I always press the slide release mechanism with my firing thumb to chamber a round. Only when loading the very first round of the day will I manually rack the slide to chamber a round -after that -> insert mag and depress the slide release with firing thumb. I do this with both MilPros and my 2 other semi-autos which have slide locking mechanisms.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
If I have an empty mag, the slide release can be difficult and I usually have to retract the slide back a mm or so then it releases. When a loaded mag in place, though, the slide zips back into battery with minimal pressure to the release button. I think that the wall of the cartridge casing presses against something (in the case of a loaded mag) which allows the slide release to be pressed and activated.
When you hit the slide release with an empty mag inserted you're also pushing against the spring tension in the magazine - which is what engages the stop when the last round is gone. With a loaded magazine you only have to shear the stop from the slide so it's easier as the follower on the magazine isn't engaging the bottom of the stop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the same experience when I went to check out the gun at a local dealer. It took a lot of force to release the slide. A buddy who owns a PT145 then told me it's not supposed to be easy because you're supposed to pull the slide back a little, lower the stop lever then release the slide. Well... when I did get my PT145 the slide stop was firm but it works with one thumb so I'm not paying attention to the manual or how it's supposed to be done properly; I'm doing it the way I always have on all my other semi-autos and it works just great. Sometimes being an old dog is okay.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
When you hit the slide release with an empty mag inserted you're also pushing against the spring tension in the magazine - which is what engages the stop when the last round is gone. With a loaded magazine you only have to shear the stop from the slide so it's easier as the follower on the magazine isn't engaging the bottom of the stop.
I learn so many new things by coming here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts