Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always advocated 4 firearms for SHTF situations: A centerfire Rifle, a centerfire handgun, a shotgun and a .22 rimfire, preferrably a carbine or rifle. Amount of ammo to be easily carried for a SHTF situation being the prime motivation on my part.

A couple of months ago, I decided on a suppressed .22 rifle as being even more perfect. Today, I acted on that thought and put a Ruger .22-45 in Lay-a-way, true, not a 10-22 carbine or rifle, but at least a handgun to start with and later, a more expensive 10-22 with a threaded barrel to follow. Then I can use either one I feel comfortable with after obtaining the NSF stamp and suppressor. Besides, I have a tap and die set, and if it comes to pass, I could thread the existing 10-22 or Marlin 60 barrel I already have. The good thing, the barrel on the 10-45 is threaded, and I don't have to mess with another barrel. I'm amazed how many makes have recently came out with these set-ups. Carrying case and two mags for $339.95 Also is tapped and includes ramp for scope or red dot. The one I have on lay-a-way has the front and rear sight.

2245.jpg

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Nice pistol, and not just for SHTF. Looks to me like the perfect implement for popping copperheads and gophers out at my place in Central Texas. (Weekend before last, I wasted a .40 S&W Winchester Ranger round on a gopher. No, I am not related to Bill Murray.:)) I need to start keeping a .22 around for varmints, and a silenced .22 would be even better. The only thing that worries me about Class III stuff like silencers is that ATF has the power to come and inspect your inventory whenever the spirit moves them, don't they?

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I had a friend who threaded his barrel. He showed me how the bullet went down the suppressor off center. It was ruined in one shot.

I also don't like the idea of being on an ATF list.

That would be a bad looking pistol!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I saw a guy on Youtube make one out of a 20oz pepsi bottle, just attached it to the end of a .22 and it worked pretty good too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I saw a guy on Youtube make one out of a 20oz pepsi bottle, just attached it to the end of a .22.
That was from the movie Shooter that came out in 2007

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
The soda bottle trick only works for a few rounds and as in Shooter you will not be making any 200 yard shoots with one. Accuracy is severly effected. I would not recommend trying it to anyone. This comes from an old neighbor who tried it. And I'm only going on what he told me.

I would hate to go through the ATF thing and be under their thumb for just a .22 silencer. you give them a wide opening into your life and doings. JMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts