Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone offered me a older pt101 in .40 for my Taurus 65. His handgun has bluing issues where you grip to rack the slide, and where the safety is, but that can easily be touched up. My 65 is also used, but in pretty good shape. What's the value difference on these? I'm thinking about it because 11 rounds of .40, and the cheaper cost of ammo.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Thats one of those "only you" can decide questions. I'm a revolver guy so I probably wouldn't. I'm sure the PT101 guys would disagree. As for the price of ammo, I don't see 40SW being any cheaper then .38spl. especially right now.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah but it's a .357 revolver, i was comparing .357 ammo prices to .40. The part that has me worried a bit is I did a quick google search and the PT101 is under $350 NEW, and on auction sites my revolver is going for that, or more than that used.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I just checked my records. Federal Champion from Wal-Mart: 100 round box .40 S&W $28.14 / 50 round box .38 Special $17.97 / 50 round box .357 Mag $25.27

Depends on how much you shoot. The PT101 would be $0.08 to $0.23 cheaper per round.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Yeah but it's a .357 revolver, i was comparing .357 ammo prices to .40. The part that has me worried a bit is I did a quick google search and the PT101 is under $350 NEW, and on auction sites my revolver is going for that, or more than that used.
.357 revolvers shoot .38spl just fine. Thats what I use at the range all the time. I'm not the best judge of ammo prices. I don't have anything in 40, and most of mine are reloads, which are pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just remember that you have many more ammo choices for .38/.357 than you do for .40. A revolver can shoot everything from light gallery loads to full power ammo and the shape of the projectile does not limit its ability to feed. With an auto loader the pressure level of the ammo must stay within a particular (rather narrow) range between strong enough to function the slide and soft enough to not batter the frame.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
You can pick up a .40 any time you want.If you sell the 65 you will miss it and you will pay much more for it if you decide you want another.Bad trade I say.
If you want a .40 buy a LE trade in cheap enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would absolutely agree,stick with the 65! I have never found anything worth giving up my .357 sp101!! And am glad for it. Been throught several compact and subcompact autos and will willingly trade them off for something I would rather have. In fact just traded a Keltec p3at and an ar lower for an 851t. Someone asked me," do you sleep at night?" I said soundly!!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Personally I'd say no but i'm not a big 40 fan, like someone else said, that's a YOU question. As to the real world stuff, .40 seems to be easier to get right now. I rarely see .357 in the stores but .40 is all over the place. Then again, I see a .38 more commonly too, mostly lead round nose.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Personally, I'd keep the M-65.
It's "wider range" of ammo options give it much more versatility. :icon_ lala:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have made a vow to myself not to trade my firearms this year. LOL!!!!!!! Gonna try and keep adding to my collection.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I'd keep the m65, also. And for the same reasons, namely load versatility, and reliability. The .357 magnum platform allows for uses beyond that of a bottom feeder. From snake shot and Cowboy loads at the bottom of the spectrum, all the way up to the smaller bears, they will get the job done as long as you do your part.
The .40 S&W does not interest me at all. For my uses, .22's and mid-bores float my boat. I just enjoy sending .22's, 38's and 9's downrange.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Please let me know where you saw a PT101 new for under $350 because I will purchase one of them. Seriously, I mean it. Send me a PM.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I would be tempted to trade for the Taurus PT101 because it appears that Taurus may be discontinuing the line.

The two PT92s that I've owned have been stellar firearms as far as reliability and accuracy, and they are built to last a lifetime.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts