Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be such a pain in the ass.
I was wondering what is the shortest I should go with my shotgun.

Im working on a new custom shotgun 12 guage. I want it short and light for hiking and camping/defense but long enough that it can be used for other things like hunting and possibly shooting clay pigeons in my back yard. Im going to have it modded to tighten up the grouping a bit.

Im thinking about 18 inch barrel. Will this be too short to make the other activities impossible or is it a viable idea. My shotgun choice doesnt allow for interchangeable barrels.

Thanks !

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Taurus Judge. :)

·
Registered
27,529 Posts
If you want multipurpose I'd go at least 22".
BTW - since 18" is the legal limit - I'd go at least 18-1/2" so as to not have to argue with an officer whose tape measure is a little off.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
If you want multipurpose I'd go at least 22".
BTW - since 18" is the legal limit - I'd go at least 18-1/2" so as to not have to argue with an officer whose tape measure is a little off.
Thumbs up to that, glad my Mossberg is 18 1/2" just for such a situation. I can can always shorten the stock as necessary by swapping it for something else, but i kind of like the solid OEM stock.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe Taurus judge, love one but not quite this time.
Hmmmmm 22 is a good possibility could I split the diff and go with a 19.5 ?

I am pretty sure this shotgun doesnt have the ability to switch barrels so its kind of a one barrel only deal. Its kind of my favorite shotgun and im sorry im a little biased here its ... not... a Taurus *gasp*

·
Registered
27,529 Posts
Hehe Taurus judge, love one but not quite this time.
Hmmmmm 22 is a good possibility could I split the diff and go with a 19.5 ?

I am pretty sure this shotgun doesnt have the ability to switch barrels so its kind of a one barrel only deal. Its kind of my favorite shotgun and im sorry im a little biased here its ... not... a Taurus *gasp*
I already figured you were splitting the difference between 18 and 26 - which makes 22 the split-the-difference length.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
22 inches is a good compromise for a shotgun if you want to use it for something other than self defense. I have a Browning Pump with a 22 Inch Barrel and it's a nice upland bird gun at that length. As far as shot patterns go, if you are cutting down a longer barrel you will be eliminating the choke so your shotgun is going to have a limited value as a hunting gun unless you add a choke tube or a poly choke. Other that home defense or self defense what do you think you would like to use this shotgun for?

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Get an open bore 18 1/2"...have a poly choke installed so it can choke it down real good if taking long shots. Your swing for wing shooting will take some getting used to as you will experience over swing real easy with that short a barrel. That is my next purchase for my Saiga 12. It will double my useful range.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well its actually a Rem 870 left hand.
It comes in a 28 inch rib vent bead sighted barrel.
Im getting it cut down and the rib removed then refinished to look like a factory tactical.
I want it for defence and home protection but I would also like to hunt with it and do some clay shooting.
Im also looking at the Vang comp mod.

Can a choke tube or some such thing be put on such a setup ?

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Yes it can although, changing barrels on an 870 isn't that difficult. You might want to consider several different barrels. There are quiet a few left hand barrels that come up for sale on trapshooters.com for the 870. For shooting trap you want a barrel that is 30" long with a taller rib and a shell retainer.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like that idea ! in that case I will get two barrels for it. Can a person change there own barrels or do you have to have a gunsmith do it ?

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
The barrels are a quick easy change.

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
And it is still a good Idea putting a poly choke on a short barrel. It allwos you to change the choke from open cylinder to full choke with just a twist of the wrist.

Reactions: CNCSC

·
Registered
27,529 Posts
I like that idea ! in that case I will get two barrels for it. Can a person change there own barrels or do you have to have a gunsmith do it ?
Remove the end cap on the magazine tube and it sort of falls off.
And you can get a mag extension for tactical use that is also just a screw-on item.
In fact, the Remington 870 is kind of the 1911 of shotguns. Pretty much anything you want is available.

Reactions: CNCSC

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Nothing like having versatility in a shotgun.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Remove the end cap on the magazine tube and it sort of falls off.
And you can get a mag extension for tactical use that is also just a screw-on item.
In fact, the Remington 870 is kind of the 1911 of shotguns. Pretty much anything you want is available.
Its reasons like that why I like the 870 myself. I already own one and its a solid versatile gun.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
To take the barrel off you also need to open the action. The bolt locks into the barrel with the action closed. Another option is screw in chokes, they can be added to some of the thicker Remington and Mossberg barrels. A 20" barrel burns the powder in just about all shotgun loads. The longer barrels help with wing shooting due to the longer sight plain. Mossberg made several after market barrels for the 870's, do not know if a left handed one was made. On removing the rib if the cut is made in the right place you do not have to. Do a search on after market turkey choke modifications. An older guy here that died a few years back modified barrels for turkey hunters that wanted shorter barrels and the option to have tight choked for turkey or change to open for quail. The screw in chokes only take a few minutes to change.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Great thread! The only shotgun I have right now is a Winchester 1300 Black Shadow. It has the 28" barrel, but it is so well -balanced and easy to carry that I would have no problem using it as you described. However, I do like Madkaw's idea of the polychoke on an 18" barrel. It would be easy to do , and make the shotgun a lot more versatile....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts