Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least I think so.
Circumstances haven't allowed me to do any reloading for a couple of months now. The other day I was able to buy some 115gr. LRN to load some 9mm. In the past I have always loaded FMJ, this is my first effort at loading a run of LRN, except for a few test loads.

In the past I have always flared my brass as little as I could. My thinking was to limit how much I "worked" the case each time I reloaded and didn't give it much thought beyond that. I have a coffee can of brass all set to load. So I get things going and as I start to load some rounds I'm seeing a little "shaving" of lead at the mouth of the case. Not a lot, or on all cases mind you, but there was some there.

So in my great wisdom :rolleyes: I came up with the idea to increase the flare on the case. Well as you can, by now, imagine it eliminated the shaving of the lead. And as a side bonus I was getting the most amazingly consistent OALs I have ever had since I started reloading about a year ago! In the past my OALs were not unacceptable, by any means, but what I was getting today was excellent!

So as usual I'm sure this is not news to you old timer reloaders but I'm happy with the learning experience today. My reloading is basically self taught by reading the manuals, etc. Of course I have received great help here too. Hopefully my learning will help someone else learn a little quicker.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I saw someone post something like that before and I thought that that is something I need to remember, cast being a little oversized and not as hard as fmj

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
It is really great; how good it feels to realize that the light switch was right there all the time!!! I have been hand loading and casting bullets since 1956; I still manage to find the light switch from time to time. At one time I had 141 different sets of dies and loaded with all of them, I had to keep looking for the switch cuz it was needed so often and I couldn't remember where it was for every cartridge. The magic falls away, but it grows back if you're not looking!!

Reactions: darbo

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I am loading mostly lead. I flare just enough to get no lead shaving. Glad you found a combination that works for you.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Yes, you should flare the same for jacketed and lead bullets. Saves setup time and doesn't unduly work the brass. But don't flare too much or your case life will diminish. Glad you found the right combo!

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
I saw someone post something like that before and I thought that that is something I need to remember, cast being a little oversized and not as hard as fmj
there you go! I think you hit the thing dead on the head!
IF you have your die set for FMJ/or jacketed hollow point projectiles that normally run true to bore for the caliber, then the lead projectile is just a hair bigger diameter and will shave unless you increase the flare a bit.
I too only flare enough to let the projectile seat with no damage.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed but I am happy I still learn stuff! :D I think that is one of the main aspects of being a newbie to guns, about 2 1/2 years, and to reloading, about 1 year, is there is so much fun stuff to learn! Especially here on TA.net where there are so many great folks that enjoy helping the newbies to learn.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yup, I load about 90% lead I cast myself and lube size. A good flare is needed and lead likes to be about .001 - .002 oversize to shoot good. The larger flare shouldn't affect much. I've loaded cases as much as 20-25 times with no problems.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Thanks for the posts all. As i am still doing research and haven't actually started yet, this is good stuff! I live in a townhouse, so space is at a premium. I'm still looking at the best set up, but this is also good to know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always tell new reloaders to ferget trying to extend the life of the brass, just learn to use methods that produce good, accurate ammo. If you think your ammo will work/shoot better with "too much flare", do it. Besides, how many loadings will "over" flaring reduce the life of your brass? 5? 10? It's more important to learn how to get good ammo now, and worry about case life later. Besides, 9mm brass, even in today's reloading climate, is redilly available...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just to cover things:
Have you slugged your barrel? The lead bullets almost always need to be AT LEAST 0.001" larger than groove diameter.
I have seen 9x19 barrels range from 0.355 to 0.359", with 0.361" being the historic max. 9x19 has the greatest range in case internal dimensions, chamber, and barrel dimensions.
The real goal is to NOT swage the bullet down in diameter during seating. This often calls for a slightly larger expander than for jacketed bullets, with the goal being to have the case ID be 0.001-0.002" smaller than bullet diameter.
You can measure a bullet, seat it, pull it, and remeasure to be sure you are not swaging the bullet down.
If bullet diameter as-fired is correct, lead is a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to cover things:
Have you slugged your barrel? The lead bullets almost always need to be AT LEAST 0.001" larger than groove diameter.
I have seen 9x19 barrels range from 0.355 to 0.359", with 0.361" being the historic max. 9x19 has the greatest range in case internal dimensions, chamber, and barrel dimensions.
The real goal is to NOT swage the bullet down in diameter during seating. This often calls for a slightly larger expander than for jacketed bullets, with the goal being to have the case ID be 0.001-0.002" smaller than bullet diameter.
You can measure a bullet, seat it, pull it, and remeasure to be sure you are not swaging the bullet down.
If bullet diameter as-fired is correct, lead is a joy to shoot.
It appears there is a little more to shooting lead than just loading up FMJ and shooting it.
No I have not slugged my barrel. What will be the possible problems if I don't slug the barrel before shooting lead projectiles. I will check a seated bullet to measure it for size. I did do a search on Youtube and I like this guys method of slugging the barrel. It makes sense to me anyway!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Thanks for the posts all. As i am still doing research and haven't actually started yet, this is good stuff! I live in a townhouse, so space is at a premium. I'm still looking at the best set up, but this is also good to know.
I started reloading when I lived in an apartment. I used a single stage RCBS JR press that I mounted to a square of 3/4" marine plywood. I used a Black & Decker Workmate, which has a built in vise feature in the top. I'd clamp the square that was mounted on the press into that vise. Took less than a minute to setup or take down.

Later I just bolted it to the Workmate and folded it up together.

BLACK & DECKER Workmate 425 Portable Project Center and Vise-WM425 at The Home Depot

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
It appears there is a little more to shooting lead than just loading up FMJ and shooting it.
No I have not slugged my barrel. What will be the possible problems if I don't slug the barrel before shooting lead projectiles. I will check a seated bullet to measure it for size. I did do a search on Youtube and I like this guys method of slugging the barrel. It makes sense to me anyway!
Barrel slugging made easy part 1 - YouTube
"RANCH DOG" is your friend in all chamber /Barrel dimension things and things made of lead!!--:hail:
He has several psot about these subjects and the Taurus weapons as well.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
"RANCH DOG" is your friend in all chamber /Barrel dimension things and things made of lead!!--:hail:
I tend to agree partner about Ranch Dog and shoot his 290 gr 454 bullet sized to 452 in my Rossi 92 45 Colt rifle. I also have order a new die that he had a group buy on recently for my 454 Casull called the TLC452330RF. I split the price with Carolina Bullets where I buy my Ranch Dog bullets from since I don't cast myself. He also has a site currently called Rossi Rifleman and starting July 4th one called lee-loader.com about Lee Loading equipment. Michael is also one helpful guy and miss his business but understand why he gave it up. He is definitely a Taurus/Rossi fan to say the least.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I started reloading when I lived in an apartment. I used a single stage RCBS JR press that I mounted to a square of 3/4" marine plywood. I used a Black & Decker Workmate, which has a built in vise feature in the top. I'd clamp the square that was mounted on the press into that vise. Took less than a minute to setup or take down.

Later I just bolted it to the Workmate and folded it up together.

BLACK & DECKER Workmate 425 Portable Project Center and Vise-WM425 at The Home Depot
That looks like a good way to setup a small portable "bench". I'll have to remember that.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the heads up Olfarhors! I'll watch his vids more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts