Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by a new spot I found to shoot in the country and picked out an old fence post and from 10 yards put all 10 rounds 185 gr JHP into the post. Before I finished the quick stop, I put another 40 rounds of 185 gr LSWC reload through the gun either in singles, double taps or full mag quick fire. The gun just ate them all and spat out the groups in small groupings.

I have put well over 1,000 rounds through the gun in the 9 months that I've had it. There may be real problems as we hear, but those guns and problems are minorities. If you are contemplating purchasing the PT145, then by all means go for it. The vast majority of us who have them have found them great, reliable weapons... and way more accurate than I would have surmised with such as short barrel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't by another PT145. My has been nothing but problems with failures to feed. I am gonna send it back, get it tuned up and hope it comes back better than when I bought it new, but my recommendation would be not to buy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Must be karma...as the PT145, 2nd generation DAO is the best weapon I own. Just returned from Monday's range. Point shooting...two clips at 21 feet...rapid fire:

FCD: Sounds like you have a magazine problem...not a weapon problem. Get it fixed...nothing to get into a tiff over.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not in a tiff...but buying a new weapon and getting two bad magazines? It's more than a magazine problem. Like I said, I'll send it back and hope for the best.

I do wish I had a 2nd gen. The rails on a gun like that (3rd gen) don't serve much purpose.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Many moons ago (pre-internet) I bought 2 new Colt 1911 10mm mags for a gun I owned. Within a week or two of opening the packages they were unreliable. If it was now I'd make a serious effort to figure out what happened.

Steelheart

·
Registered
89 Posts
firecptdave: Actually, the second generation DAO does have the rails...and, of course the rails serve a real purpose! When, at home, I place this on my night stand for home protection (if I were so surprised that I could not get to my 12 ga. shotgun in time). Having the light allows me to grab the weapon and go...no fumbling around for the flashlight on my night stand...dropping it...etc.

Look...I've owned a Colt 45...Ruger Speed Six. I now own a S&W 642...Kel Tek P3AT...the Tarui PT145 and am now looking to purchase the Ruger SP101 and GP100. Much like my cars, some work right out of the box...some need to be tweaked and/or fixed. They are, after all, mechanical and subject to imperfection. My P3AT works well now...only after beau coup fluffing and buffing; finding the ammo it likes; depressing the magazine springs with a ruler umpteen times, etc. All Rugers are "works in progress". All S&W will "shoot out and need tightening"...etc., it's all the nature of the game.

·
Registered
39 Posts
firecaptdave said:
If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't by another PT145. My has been nothing but problems with failures to feed. I am gonna send it back, get it tuned up and hope it comes back better than when I bought it new, but my recommendation would be not to buy.
I just bought one, put 200 rounds through it today (everything imaginable) and couldn't be happier. Shot well, aims well, good POI from all ranges.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Steelheart said:
Many moons ago (pre-internet) I bought 2 new Colt 1911 10mm mags for a gun I owned. Within a week or two of opening the packages they were unreliable. If it was now I'd make a serious effort to figure out what happened.

Steelheart
Dude! No Way! Not the almighty COLT 1911! It must be user malfunction :eek:

Seriously though, I use my PT 145 (second gen w/rail) as one of my summer primary carries. Have shot well over 5-600 rounds perfectly. I actually had my neighbor's Glock 36 on hand to compare my PT145 to. While at the range, his NIB pistol gave him major feed jams and kicked like a government mule. My PT145 just kept going nice and smooth. Now this is not a slam on the G36, it happens to any gun at any given time. That day was just my day to smile ;D. A year later I would experience feed jams with a NIB PT111 (3rd gen), until I gave her a good cleaning (smile is back ;D)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
firecaptdave said:
Every time I read of someone with a problem with their PT145, I feel really bad for them... and wish I knew the secret for fixing their problem. But when I real dozens of great experiences to each person with a problem, I'm glad I took the risk. My gun has been a joy to shoot... doesn't mean it's perfect. I have a P35 Hi-Power which is about the sweetest gun imaginable, but periodically I have to find out what's wrong because it develops problems... 90% of which are my problems in some way... cleanliness, checking adjustments, etc.

firecaptdave... I wish I could afford to just trade guns with you and let you see what a good experience a gun is when everything is working on all cylinders, but I can't. I'll just tell you, I'm glad I made the choice... and I'm pleased that whatever the odds are, I've got a gun that shoots sweet!

·
Registered
178 Posts
firecaptdave said:
I'm not in a tiff...but buying a new weapon and getting two bad magazines? It's more than a magazine problem. Like I said, I'll send it back and hope for the best.

I do wish I had a 2nd gen. The rails on a gun like that (3rd gen) don't serve much purpose.
firecaptdave,

I understand your frustration, I had all kinds of problems with the only Kimber I ever owned, a TLE II. POI was 8" high at best, right out of the box. Through the first 500 rounds I tried just about every size & shape of 45acp ammo I could get my hands on and even a bunch of my own handloads with several different cases and powders. I sent it back to Kimber after #500 with a target, shot from a bench rest, using a handgun shooting fixture. I figured out just how much, through trial and error, the front sight needed to be lengthened, to bring the POI down. It went back twice and they never got it to even shoot to the 6 o'clock hold position. I had several friends, that are big 1911 shooters, also shoot the gun. They had the same problems with it shooting high. It was sold and some of the money used for another gun.
Where is this leading....I bought my first PT-145, a second edition with the rail, almost 3 years ago, using some of the money from the sale of the Kimber and right out of the box it shot to point of aim consistiently, cycled flawlessly, and is simply a hoot to shoot. It has been carried in several holsters, IWB & OWB, and in the pocket as a BUG. I am reaching the 5500 round mark and have yet to have a problem. I like it so much I recently traded another gun for a second second edition, but with a stainless slide this time.

I really hope and pray that Taurus can make yours work like mine and others here, because simply put, for the money, it is an amazing little hand cannon.

tex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts