Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i haven't quite read all the laws, but do you have to have a license to carry it period? for example, if i don't have a license can i wear my firearm in a hip holster that is not concealed. also, am i correct in assuming that i can have it in my car as long as the clip is stored separately from the gun i.e. gun under seat clip in console?



me and my friend had an argument about today.


p.s. i'm thinking about getting the 45. tomorrow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
If you are talking about open carry IE on your hip showing everyone that you have a weapon it depends on where you live here is a link that shows which states allow open carry ;D

http://opencarry.org/

Have a look it my help with your question
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rogue! that was very helpful!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,329 Posts
Rogue i forgot i bookmarked that the other day, dmon i would suggest to read up on texas firearm laws.get to know them well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
depends on what state you in, most states have legal OC (open carry) this is where you have it on in a holster exposed, this includes no jacket in front of it.

but make sure to read up on the laws in your state as they vary greatly from one to the other, especially concerning cars.. transportation laws vary greatly from state to state as well.. infact just about all gun laws do since most gun laws are actually state regulated rather then federal.

if you just talking about general transportation to the range it's almost universally accepted that if it's in the trunk in a case and not loaded (the definition of loaded also varies from state to state) you should be safe..

keep the ammo outside the case where the gun is stored and this should cover you just about anywhere you go.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
35,632 Posts
joe sixpack said:
if you just talking about general transportation to the range it's almost universally accepted that if it's in the trunk in a case and not loaded (the definition of loaded also varies from state to state) you should be safe..

keep the ammo outside the case where the gun is stored and this should cover you just about anywhere you go.
In Texas now, they extended the Castle doctrine to your vehicle. You can have your gun in the front with you, loaded, now. I think you still have to conceal it, but that doesn't take too much effort.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
KY, has the castle doctrine, it is any place YOU are!! You can defend others not just yourself, but you better be sure. Open carry on hip, in seat.
Concealed in the glove box if you do not have the CC. Concealed anywhere if you do have your CC.
I am starting to love my State, just wish they would send my CC paperwork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
In Texas now, they extended the Castle doctrine to your vehicle. You can have your gun in the front with you, loaded, now. I think you still have to conceal it, but that doesn't take too much effort.
ya but he did'nt say he was from texas did he? it varies greatly from state to state.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
35,632 Posts
Calm down Joe - I was just giving an example......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Calm down Joe - I was just giving an example......
i am calm texas.. do i sound upset in that post? since he's new i did'nt want to give him my states laws.. he's gotta learn his own.. if i start feeding his head with stuff that dont apply to him it might get him in trouble..

example.. is'nt OC'ing illegal in texas? dont you guys just have CC?

orlando ok i can't say i seen any of his other posts so i did'nt know where he was from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
Robby said:
Concealed in the glove box if you do not have the CC.
You are correct. But I just wanted to expand on that. If it is concealed it HAS to be in the glove box. Not center console or any other type of box/container built into the car. I read about a case in which the man was found guilty of concealing a deadly weapon because he had it in the center console of his car. It was found that this was not considered to be a glove box as allowed by the law.

I don't think any of that applies if the weapon is unloaded and in the trunk or something like that.

My point being, be careful and read the laws in your state. Even though you think you are within the law, you may be in violation and not even know it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Dmon said:
i haven't quite read all the laws, but do you have to have a license to carry it period? for example, if i don't have a license can i wear my firearm in a hip holster that is not concealed.
Question... why would you want to outside of when you are out hunting? Open carry, out side of impressing your girlfriend only says to the bad guys, hey i am armed, take me out first...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
James41 said:
Question... why would you want to outside of when you are out hunting? Open carry, out side of impressing your girlfriend only says to the bad guys, hey i am armed, take me out first...
Because it's better than not having it at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
well james you know not the can of worms you open.

not to start a whole OC vs CC debate but there are some advantages..

1. more comfortable.
2. quicker draw
3. full size guns not a issue.
4. states with OC usually do not require any license or permit
5. some say it actually deters the bad guys.

also about #4 it's actually possible in some cases to OC under age, such as in ohio you can't buy a handgun untill your are 21, however you can posses it under that age.. also you can OC In ohio as long as you are legally allowed to posses the gun, so you can OC It even though you're not 21.. however you CAN NOT get your CHL here unless you are 21..

it's never been proven which side is right about #5 some say the BG's will target you, other say it can actually prevent some crimes..

it's probably in the middle some people dont care if you have a gun or not.. however there was ones a study done they interviewed inmates and more then half said if they new someone was armed they'ed just move on to the next person.. i dont believe the question involved rather it was OC or CC though.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
Doctor_Venkman said:
Because it's better than not having it at all.
+1 on that! The reason I have OC'd with the JUDGE before, but not with any of the small guns.
Doctor_Venkman said:
You are correct. But I just wanted to expand on that. If it is concealed it HAS to be in the glove box. Not center console or any other type of box/container built into the car. I read about a case in which the man was found guilty of concealing a deadly weapon because he had it in the center console of his car. It was found that this was not considered to be a glove box as allowed by the law.
Doc I knew that, but used the Glove box as the only place to conceal without a permit. I never learned to call a console a glove box, but the state law sure does. Only exception is the lockable type consoles, I believe that some guys are using to keep their guns in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
joe sixpack said:
1. more comfortable.
2. quicker draw
3. full size guns not a issue.
4. states with OC usually do not require any license or permit
5. some say it actually deters the bad guys.
Well, 1,2,3 I can agree with to a point, I have no problem with a full sized 1911 and the proper holster, quite comfortable and concealable but i don't think so on 5. I know myself if i were entering a store intent on holding up the place and saw a guy with a gun on his hip the first thing i would do is take him out. The majority of the hard cases i have seen would do the same thing.

Surprise is the big thing you have going in concealed carry and where ever you have concealed carry crime stats usually go down because the bad guys never know if that little old lady has a 357 in her purse. I have no problem with someone doing open carry, it's the ones that are hid that bother me.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top