Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scanned the past issues but never got a clear picture.

Purchased a PT-745 for a carry piece recently. Only have about 250-300 rounds through it. The PT-745 was NOT my first choice but the California Firearms List restricted my options for a Sub-Compact 45 ACP handgun pretty badly.

I didn't like the XD as a carry weapon nor the glock. Price, size, and availability won out for the Taurus. I have had various Taurus pistols since the early 90s and they were fine weapons. Never an issue.

Out of the box, I knew something wasn't right. I thought I was insane. Walked out to my range loaded up and missed the target. I then took some time and examined everything basic and continued... to miss the target.. by a mile.

The gun grouped well enough I suppose for the fact it wasn't hitting where I was aiming. It was hitting 24+" left and low at 25ft. I could not get the Kentucky windage right to even score solid hits. I was very disconcerted by this. I moved up to within 3' of my target took aim. Aligned the heine sights correctly and missed a 12" target. This was absolutely absurd.

So I retreated to 25ft and broke out my Rest and fired.. and hit 24" left and low. Now I could drift my rear sight all the way to the right and it would be on target but that wouldn't solve the low. Groups are fine for a short barreled sub-compact hand gun. If only it would hit where it was aimed.

At this point and after some reading, it sounds like my gun needs to go visit Miami. I am very disappointed. Since the gun is impossible to qualify with this is preventing me from adding it to my LTC, which is the whole reason I bought the damn thing.

Everyone who has fired it has the same problem. Ran it through a couple of hands to verify. Very disappointed. I suppose what is worse is that, if they do as other threads show, not for the PT745 but other guns, and replace the unit completely I will have to pay another DROS and wait another 10 days and waste about $40 bucks in gas going to my LGS TWICE.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Tips, anything when it comes to dealing with Taurus? Would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
One option would be to try and "fix" it to qualify by adjusting one of the sights.

To move the front sight, you'll have to pick all the goop out, kroil it and use a 1.5 mm allen wrench on it (new and high quality and say a prayer before you do it). If you can get the set screw loose, you could shift the front sight over. You'll have to do some geometry to figure out how many thou it should move over, but, with an afternoon of work, you might have it hitting close enough you can compensate for qualificatin purposes. After qualification, if you still need it tweaked, send it for a vacation to Florida to Taurus.

If you want to move the rear sight, you should have gotten a 2mm allen wrench with the Taurus. You'll have to do the same math exercise, but that might be easier to do. FYI, my rear sight on my PT145 is probably 50 thou off center from the factory.

Reason I suggest this is, if it is grouping nicely, it is capable of repeatable shots and that is what you need. Mine shoots ~6" low at 25'. So, I put the imaginary bad guys' head and throat above the top of the front sight and it hits where I need it to. I don't like the Heinie straight eights and this site pattern so I have an aftermarket HiViz front sight that will eventually find it's way on there. However, my allen screw was stripped out at factory installation so I am still figuring out how I will overcome that one without sending my PT145 on a Fl vacation.

Just my 2 cents and an afternoon of range work/tweaking could get your PT shooting where you want it without having to deal with CS.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That had been my original thought. However, we qual on 12x12 targets and I would have to aim one and half targets above the target to land near the center. We are not permitted any misses. This is done twice, once in full light and once in simulated twilight.

I have trouble consistently aiming at air :)

A picture is worth a thousand words. It is shooting at almost 45 degrees off center. I had considered the adjustable fire-sights but that would require a ton of adjustment and I am uncertain there is enough adjustment in the aftermarket sights. This is a serious defect. Off by a little? Sure. Adjust windage and elevation and your bang on and good. Slinging bullets at 45 degrees to centerline, something is seriously wrong. Last night I noted that the slide is not centered on the frame.

I see no way to qualify with this weapon, let alone would I carry it currently. I can aim for the Badguy and shoot my neighbor. Completely unacceptable.

@ Ranch Dog, Yeah that is my fear. Thanks man :)

I am currently on the horn with Taurus. My only fear isnt that Taurus wont fix it, I am sure they will. My fear has nothing to do with Taurus. Odeus California gun laws make a replacement of a firearm cost, even if warrantied. Comes out of my pocket. Send it off, get a fix or new one. I am cool with that, it happens. Send it off and have to wait 10 more days and pay the DROS fee (possibly more as this becomes an interstate transfer and the FFL can freely charge me as much as he wants for his "services"). That is what makes me hot under the collar. Most FFLs in my area charge 100-125 for an interstate transfer. :mad:

But that is California.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got off the horn with Taurus, it is getting picked up tomorrow by fex-ex.

While the service wait on the call was long, I've had worse. The lady was helpful and explicit in instructions. Good service. We will cross the bridge of future costs associated with this when we come to it. I will, of course report everything and let you all know :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must admit myself to be an IDIOT.
Heine Kicked my Heine.

At 30ft the way I was holding my sight picture was putting the bullets 18-24" down.

The left hand swing is from the sight being drifted left.

I am litterally sighting it wrong. I took the gun and aligned the dot over target and adjusted till the barrel was correct using a mirror. The bottom notch of the rear sight amost aligns with the top of the front of the SLIDE. Apparently THIS is proper Heine alignment. I am going to call taurus tomorrow and appologize fiercly for my idiocy. I was quite litterally pointing the gun DOWN attempting to use classic sight alignment or 2-dot touching alignment rather than "elongated figure 8".

Pure user issue. I actually thought the hold was 12-oclock hold on the TOP of the front sight. So there you go. It was me all along. A little drift of the rear sight will land me on the bullseye every time. I actually burned my pistol rest because I was pointing down and it got the muzzle flash pretty hard core.

Can you ever forgive me?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also decided to stick with the Heine Sights. I can shoot them with both eyes open easy. And now that I know HOW they work I am no longer shooting 45 degrees down almost (yeah.. good god!) I found that I can pick up the target faster than with conventional sights like on my old .38.

I feel that it would be advantageous to master the style of the sights on the Mil-pro. Classic sights are very slow by comparison.

It is nice that after two decades of shooting I can still get blindsided by something new. Always more to learn. ALWAYS. In a way, comforting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts