Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lesson learned today. I sat down at my reloading bench to work up some test loads for .223 and 9mm....hypothetically speaking since all of my reloading stuff was lost in a tragic boating accident.

I found I had left powder in the dispenser since my last session! :( It didn't really take long to figure out what it was but there was no labeling on it or anything. It's not like I use a lot of different powders but it's obvious (now) to me that the proper habit is to simply empty the hopper upon finishing a run of cartridges.

So other noobs out there, read and learn!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Been there. I now make an effort to only have the powder container that I am working with on the bench. I'll even put a small sample in the cap to compare (if I have been busy or distracted) before I return the powder to the jar. I've had the occasional emergency shutdown and come back to a bench hours later - the system helps.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The only stuff I've needed to get rid of is smokeless powder from live rounds that I find picking up brass. I knock them apart with a bullet puller and either toss it in the yard (yep - good fertilizer) or torch it depending on time and mood. The collector in me won't let me toss the bullets so I have a storage container of misfit bullets. Maybe they'll come in handy - some day - for something!

Reactions: darbo

·
Administrator
40,554 Posts
I always leave a small note on my machine, as to what it's currently set up to load, powder in the hopper, and charge.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I always leave a small note on my machine, as to what it's currently set up to load, powder in the hopper, and charge.
Time for some Post Its on the bench. I have a note log but If I'm working on a given load, not a new one I mark it then erase that - easier to post on the machine I think!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you dispose of your unknown powder. I normally burn what I need to dispose of on a concrete block in small quantities.
I didn't dispose of this powder. I was able to comfortably figure out what it was and used it. Be careful with burning stuff around here right now! JK The fire threat here is about as high as it can get! Brevard County is one of the worst in this area right now.

·
Registered
28,077 Posts
Use a reloading log. Record information when you sit down to load, when you get up from the bench, and when you shoot what you loaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Use a reloading log. Record information when you sit down to load, when you get up from the bench, and when you shoot what you loaded.
That's great thanks! The message on the PDF is particularly fun and an appropriate color - the green of envy?!?!

I keep recipes and notes in my Lyman's book, have a chrono/load spreadsheet that goes to the range with me, mark bullets by primer color (markers) and put the load data per color on each box. This will help as a master log and I can fold the info from the range doc into this and have more in one place. Very nice!~ ;)

·
Registered
28,077 Posts
That's great thanks! The message on the PDF is particularly fun and an appropriate color - the green of envy?!?!

I keep recipes and notes in my Lyman's book, have a chrono/load spreadsheet that goes to the range with me, mark bullets by primer color (markers) and put the load data per color on each box. This will help as a master log and I can fold the info from the range doc into this and have more in one place. Very nice!~ ;)
Ha! I don't remember what I put on there. (I'll have to take a look :D) I think it's a bit lighter than envy green - it is the default watermark color, offhand I don't know how to change it.
And you're welcome. The .odf is for those who would like to modify the file.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah definitely use the reloading log. It was one of the things that helped me figure out what powder I left in the hopper.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Ha! I don't remember what I put on there. (I'll have to take a look :D) I think it's a bit lighter than envy green - it is the default watermark color, offhand I don't know how to change it.
And you're welcome. The .odf is for those who would like to modify the file.
Yeah - it IS actually more like lime sherbet (not this one) "People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." Right straight through the middle of the page. I kept the other as a Word table PDFs can be opened and changed with Adobe Acrobat Pro or Photoshop. I like it the way it is - for now! :D

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I always have a post it pad handy. I write on it what powder and drop it in the hopper.. That way if I don't dump the powder back right away, I have a note inside the hopper to remind me.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
And I leave what I'm loading on the bench, bullets, cases, holders, powder and load data. When I switch all is put away and the new load stuff is put out. That way it is obvious what you were loading when called away. But you do have to be a bit anal about doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I use to stick a note in the hopper to indicate the powder back when I was reloading rifle cases. Lately for pistols the only two powders I'm using is Unique and 231 so it's pretty obvious which is which.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use a piece of masking tape with the name of the powder written on it. I tape it over the hopper so that i can't add powder without removing the tape.

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
How do you dispose of your unknown powder. I normally burn what I need to dispose of on a concrete block in small quantities.
spread it thinly and sparingly on the lawn, its good fertilizer!
Nitro cellulose and /or nitro glycerine!
cousins to the ever popular Ammonia nitrate (high nitrogen fertilizer) thats the terrorist favorite material!
water it in a bit if it bothers you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts