Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new 24/7 G2 9mm to the range begin breaking it in and see how it's sighted. Prior to this my son and I took the gun apart including the firing pin assembly and cleaned out all the shipping grease, which appeared to have bits of tobacco in it (tiny square and rectangular bits of brown leaf). The dirty shipping grease doesn't appear to be a problem and even if it was it's all gone now.

I'm pleased to say that the weapon itself is sighted very well, but after 20 years without shooting (and very little pistol expreience) I'm still a little shaky. The 24/7 performed flawlessly - I went through about 120 rounds - three mags of PPU Prvi Partizan, three of Blazer Brass, and two of Federal Champion. All of the ammo was fine and the gun had zero firing or ejection anomalies.

The 24/7 shot very well and feels great, although like many others I couldn't help but be surprised by the length of the first part of the trigger pull. The second part of the pull was nice and short but I notice the same gritty feeling when the trigger assembly engages the striker. It's noticable but easy enough to adjust to that it doesn't have to be disagreeable. We'll see after a few hundred more rounds if it smooths up a little bit - it would be nice to have an action like butter.

The gun shot very well. As for me, perhaps other folks can be cool as a cucumber on their first trip to the range, but I was excited to be shooting the new pistol and nervous enough about trying not to make a fool of myself that my hands shook a little bit and it was hard for me to relax. The nearest analogy that I can think of is when you start to play a musical instrument for the first time: when I first began the guitar, I gripped it too tightly and wore out the muscles in my hands not to mention the tips of my fretting fingers. It took a couple of weeks to relax to the point that I could relax while fretting. In the same way right now it's hard for me to relax on the range, but surely I'm not the first noob to have this problem.

As to my groupings I could cover them with one hand except for a couple of fliers on a couple of groups. Even the fliers were no more than 6" from the target, and at least half of my shots were within 3". This can only be due to the quality of the weapon, not of my shooting. There was no consistent pattern to my misses, which indicates that it's me, not the weapon, that's erratic. There were enough shots less than 1" from the aiming point to convince me the gun is sighten in just fine.

I couldn't be happier with the performance of my new G2. I think with a few more trips to the range I will relax more and the weapon will break in more, making both of us a little smoother and tightening up those groups.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I enjoyed reading your range report on your new Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm pistol.

I am the very satisfied owner of a 24/7 G2 in .45 ACP. It has performed flawlessly since day one.:D

Taurus 24-7 G2 .45 ACP (6).JPG

Reactions: coypu76

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have you had any luck finding a retention holster for the G2? I just bought my first 24/7 and cant find a good holster for it yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts