Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rock Island TCM Ultra is a 1911 with a twist, This package provides a 1911 with two barrels and two recoil springs. One for the 9mm cartridge and one for the Armscor 22TCM cartridge. The TCM Rock Ultra FS is a classic 70 series design. Built for the Rock Island 22 TCM cartridge running at over 2000fps, it features a 5” barrel and includes a skeletonized hammer and trigger with adjustable over travel stop, low-profile adjustable 2-dot LPA rear sight and high visibility fiber optic front sight. This 1911 has G10 tactical grips and is finished with a parkerized coating. P1020964bb.jpg It weighs 39.7 oz's with no magazine and the SA trigger pull is a consistent 4lbs 3oz's. Also has a nice flared mag well, checkered main spring housing, and a grooved front grip. The slide and frame finish are well done and look pretty good. The pistol comes in a somewhat cheap plastic case with only one 10 round magazine. I ordered a 2nd mag for $45 from an ebay seller. Oh and the slide is so smooth. You hear about slides that feel like butter , this is one of them. Both the 22tcm and 9mm recoil springs are very easy to manipulate. No problems for those with weak or arthritic hands.

P1020981bb.jpg Here it is stripped and cleaned after today's range session. So you might ask what's the point of having this dual caliber combo? Well I kinda fell into selecting this as my 9mm 1911. The price from GrabaGun was lower for this combo than the similar model 9mm, like $40 dollars less. So I felt if it still shot 9mm well, the 22tcm would just be a bonus. Before I start in on impressions, let me just go ahead and let the cat out of the bag. It is a good 9mm 1911, with a small caveat. That is loading 9mm into the combo magazine is a bit harder than a normal 9mm 1911 magazine. The mags on the combo are very similar to a 38 super mag, and loading either 22tcm or 9mm is a challenge. No problem though, I picked up a 22TCM mag loader (upper left of this picture) and it makes loading much easier. As with my other 9mm 1911 mags, just need to be sure the bullet is at the correct angle for stripping and feeding into the barrel. A good whack on the mag after loading is a good idea.
P1020982bb.jpg So how does 22tcm shoot? This 8" sticky was shot at 20 yards on a cloudy day. Once I got the POI down the group stayed around 2 inches. Recoil is non existent , but the little 40grn pill traveling at 2000fps makes an impressive fireball. Too bad the ammo is pricey at $20 for a box of 50.
P1020977bb.jpg How about 9mm through the RIA, here are two targets; left is from my Colt competition, right is from the RIA combo. Both are shot at 25 yards. I was impressed with how well the 9mm shot. But...there is always a but isn't there. The rear sight has to be adjusted between the 22tcm and 9mm. Their POI is about 2 inches different. No problem the adjustable rear sight just needed two clicks to bring in either caliber. Now that is easy to remember.
P1020974bb.jpg Both of these 1911's are a great representation of the classic Browning wonder gun. Both have been through over 300 rounds with no failures, no break in required. I am pleased with both selections, next up is another 1911... made by Kahr, The TP45. Ok...Ok so its not a 1911, but the grip angle and magazine capacity are almost the same. That review will come next week after I finish restoring a beat up Winchester 30-06 model 70 for a friend. So until then spread the fun of friendly shooting with a new shooter, and lets keep our eye on the ball. Them darn politicians are rising out of their over-funded slumbers and are trying to take our hobby away.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
VERY nice piece. Congrats and good luck!!

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
24,858 Posts
You 22TCM looks like a single stack magazine. My 22TCM is a double stack gun. I wonder why the difference.

·
8,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You 22TCM looks like a single stack magazine. My 22TCM is a double stack gun. I wonder why the difference.
They sell both versions the HC (high capacity), and the SC(standard capacity). The HC was $130 more, so I chose the SC.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,802 Posts
I looked at the TCM hard when they first were introduced.
eventually after firing a couple and liking everything except the muzzle flash and report I began to look at the round itself.
If I remember right its really is so close to the 9 MM in energy and the lack of any really self defense loads and generally hard to find reloading components, and cost of factory ammo I decided not to get one.
I think now that RIA (Armscor) is selling/ providing better supply of components than they did then.

·
8,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at the TCM hard when they first were introduced.
eventually after firing a couple and liking everything except the muzzle flash and report I began to look at the round itself.
If I remember right its really is so close to the 9 MM in energy and the lack of any really self defense loads and generally hard to find reloading components, and cost of factory ammo I decided not to get one.
I think now that RIA (Armscor) is selling/ providing better supply of components than they did then.
Similar foot pounds of energy as a 9mm, but wound channels are larger because of the higher speed. I have found a place that sells brass and bullets..but sadly I don;t think the little hollow point on the 22tcm is what I would consider a good self defense round. I am saving my brass and may invest in dies etc..if I decide to keep running 22tcm. It is fun to shoot, but other than varmint control, not sure the 22tcm has much value in its current configuration. Now if Hornady made a good bullet , it could almost reach 223 power and impact. But for now If I was to carry it would have 9mm +p SD ammo.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Very nice combination, Congratulations.

I don't think $20 for a box of 50 is that bad, more than 9mm, but about the same or less than 45acp. Spread that out over 2-3 range trips and it's pretty reasonable fun.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Similar foot pounds of energy as a 9mm, but wound channels are larger because of the higher speed. I have found a place that sells brass and bullets..but sadly I don;t think the little hollow point on the 22tcm is what I would consider a good self defense round. I am saving my brass and may invest in dies etc..if I decide to keep running 22tcm. It is fun to shoot, but other than varmint control, not sure the 22tcm has much value in its current configuration. Now if Hornady made a good bullet , it could almost reach 223 power and impact. But for now If I was to carry it would have 9mm +p SD ammo.

I have shot a coyote with mine and the amount of damage was amazing he went down quicker and harder than ones I have shot with the .357 I would not hesitate to use it in certain self defense situations. the reasons I will not carry it is I am afraid of over penetration and the muzzle flash would be bad in low light

·
8,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have shot a coyote with mine and the amount of damage was amazing he went down quicker and harder than ones I have shot with the .357 I would not hesitate to use it in certain self defense situations. the reasons I will not carry it is I am afraid of over penetration and the muzzle flash would be bad in low light
I also worry about over penetration with the 22TCM. But don't plan on it being a carry piece anyway. Sure is fun to shoot though.

·
22,996 Posts
Very nice review; and congratulations on the great pistol! All hail the 1911!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts