Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent over an hour reading/searching through here trying to gather my own notes about G1 and G2 24/7's and the 800 series. I'm fortunate enough to be getting a bonus soon and a full size 9mm is high on my list - still. Here's what I'm looking for: 4" barrel, Hi capacity (15 minimum), lightest weight possible, thumb safety, decocker and a trigger without the safety mechanism found on Glocks and my 709. Changable backstraps would be nice.

So my requirements point me to these 3, but which one gets me most of what I want?

G1: It's my understanding that none of these have changable backstraps and only SOME ("DS" models) have decockers. These do NOT have the trigger with thebuilt-in safety lever. Correct?

G2: It's my understanding that ALL of these have changable backstraps, decockers AND triggers with the built-in safety lever on the trigger.

809: It's my understanding that ALL of these have changable backstraps and decockers and NONE of them have changable backstraps, decockers on the trigger.

Bud's has a used G1 DS for a little over $300+free shipping. I can get a G2 locally for about $390. I can get an 809 stainless for about $370 from the same local guy.

Do I at least have my facts straight on the available options?

Thanks!

·
Banned
171 Posts
The 800 series does have changeable backstraps. No trigger safety. And I believe in 9mm its capacity is 17+1 I have the 845 so don't quote me on capacity

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EBK: do the 800's all have decockers? As far as you know?

I might go the 800 route instead. I rented a G1 a couple weeks back to shoot for the first time. I liked it, but would like change to "dial in" the fit a bit with some backstrap options. Any real advantage of striker vs hammer, anyone?

·
Banned
171 Posts
Yes they all have a 3 position safety up is safe down is Fire and down all the way decocks and returns the safety to the fire position.

As for advantages I am sure there are advantages to one over the other but not sure what they would be. I personally just prefer a hammer fired weapon.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
EBK: do the 800's all have decockers? As far as you know?

I might go the 800 route instead. I rented a G1 a couple weeks back to shoot for the first time. I liked it, but would like change to "dial in" the fit a bit with some backstrap options. Any real advantage of striker vs hammer, anyone?
All 800s have downward push decockers.

They can also be carried with the hammer down safety on, hammer down safety off, or hammer back and safety on in Condition 1. Having a lightweight single action carry pistol with 18 shots total represents a nice self defense capability.

The backstraps are interchangeable, all one needs to do is drive a pin out on the bottom of the grip using the included Taurus Security Key and change out the tabs.The box ships with three included and the medium one installed on the pistol. The backstraps are a nice feature because if you invite other shooters out to the range you can switch the grips to small or large as the guest shooter desires.Take it from me, having a short female shoot a Beretta 92 size pistol that she can't honestly hold well isn't fun for anyone.

The advantages of steel vs. striker fire come down to shooter preference. To my hands a Glock-type safe action trigger is serviceable in the role of a mechanical lever that launches a striker into a cartridge's primer. No more ,no less.

If a shooter wants a trigger that feels so good you want to dry fire the pistol, a hammer fired piece to my hands is the only way to go. The closest I have come to a striker fired handgun having that kind of nuanced trigger feel is a toss up between Walther's PPQ and Taurus' 24/7 OSS.

The PT809 has a lot of takeup in SA, but once the slack is gone the trigger is pure goodness.

Reactions: sargedog
1 - 8 of 8 Posts