Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to the range today. The highway I travel abruptly drops from 65MPH to 55MPH. I usually just let the car slow down and don't brake. Well today, there was a State Trooper comming the other direction and I had just taken my foot off the gas and hadn't slowed much. He flipped and pulled me over (right in front of Camp Perry). I did what you're supposed to do, hands on the wheel and informed right away that I was carrying. (My back seat had a whole bunch of guns in plain sight). He just said thanks for telling him, and took my drivers license registration and proof of insurance back to his car. About a minute later he came back with a warning and let me go. One thing he did mention was that he liked that I told him I had "firearms" not "weapons", he said they see "weapons" as a threat.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Exactly what my CHL instructor told us. Never, ever, say "gun", just say you have your carry piece. In many cases, even though you have engaged the officer at your window, and he is looking at your CHL, there might be a rookie at the passenger side and all he hears is "GUN". Might make for a tense situation.

Reactions: Laker

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have read with interest the many comments regarding contact with law enforcement as a CHL holder. When I worked the streets, I treated every pereson I stopped on traffic as if they were armed. As those from Texas know, one can carry a firearm inside the car without a CHL.
However, like most of you state, it is/was appreciated when I knew the driver was armed. By the way, most officers believe if you are capable of legally carrying a handgun, you won't have too much problem with police, thus, the few commenters who were given warnings rather than a full citation.

Happy motoring !!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
My wife had her first encounter a few days ago. He asked where the firearm was stored, then he asked what it was. She responding with "Glock 9mm". He then responded with "Nice choice!" It was a license check, so no tickets were involved. It doesn't seem to bother police officers when they are notified up front.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Glad that everything worked out okay.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You did well grasshopper. Everything you did was perfect and obviously the officer aggreed. This is the way it is suppost to be.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Most LEO's appreciate open honest motorists, and when you inform them upfront that you are carrying their comfort level goes up several notches, as opposed to learning it after the fact. I don't know any LEO's who likes surprises when it comes to firearms, it does something to the heart rate!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'm hearing a lot more positive endings on car stops involving legal firearms over the past few months......very encouraging.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Ohio, it's the law that you have to imediately declair. Maybe the shotgun laying on the back seat gave him a clue. Forgot to mention, he also asked where I was going. When I told him, to the range and do some shooting. The trooper told me to be safe and have fun!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Laker, thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I appreciate the helpful information your post provided.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I can't wait to get my permit, it seems to help people get out of tickets! Lol

CreekFisher

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grasshoppa...the CHL is nice, but from a long time of experience, attitude and courtesy go farther than the CHL...
This is the real truth!!

Reactions: CreekFisher

·
Registered
540 Posts
I can't wait to get my permit, it seems to help people get out of tickets! Lol

CreekFisher
Grasshoppa...the CHL is nice, but from a long time of experience, attitude and courtesy go farther than the CHL...
They do help but my veteran status license plates usually beat the CCW to the punch. I keep my nose clean, so if I get pulled over, it's due to a laps in speed consciousness. Most times I've been told to be careful after they confirm that the plate refers to myself.

Reactions: Old_Sp5

·
Registered
15,137 Posts
Maybe LEO's or former LEO's on here can chime in but when you are made aware of a motorist declaring they are carrying a firearm at the beginning of a stop, don't you look at it as "well, I have a thoughtful law-abiding citizen here, not just some guy or girl behind the wheel". Doesn't that shift your perception as to the type of stop it will be?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Maybe LEO's or former LEO's on here can chime in but when you are made aware of a motorist declaring they are carrying a firearm at the beginning of a stop, don't you look at it as "well, I have a thoughtful law-abiding citizen here, not just some guy or girl behind the wheel". Doesn't that shift your perception as to the type of stop it will be?
I am a retired LEO...very large city, very real and dangerous conditions on a daily basis. You may not realize this but EVERYTIME, and I mean EVERYTIME I stopped someone for ANYTHING, whether they were afoot or driving a vehicle, I considered them armed. SO, with the introduction of CHLs it only made me even more prepared to defend myself if needed. Just because someone is legally carrying a firearm doesn't automatically make me lessen my guard for myself. Suppose this legally armed person has just left and angry spouse at home after a serious agrument and the last thing he/she needs is a police uniform standing at their driver's side window (yeah, sometimes I walked up to the passenger's side just for disorientation purposes). People are people...carryong a CHL doesn't guarantee maturity or common sense.

I have no regrets feeling this way (and I still feel this way unless I know you well)...I saw too many police officers killed over 30 years...some were friends.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am a retired LEO...very large city, very real and dangerous conditions on a daily basis. You may not realize this but EVERYTIME, and I mean EVERYTIME I stopped someone for ANYTHING, whether they were afoot or driving a vehicle, I considered them armed. SO, with the introduction of CHLs it only made me even more prepared to defend myself if needed. Just because someone is legally carrying a firearm doesn't automatically make me lessen my guard for myself. Suppose this legally armed person has just left and angry spouse at home after a serious agrument and the last thing he/she needs is a police uniform standing at their driver's side window (yeah, sometimes I walked up to the passenger's side just for disorientation purposes). People are people...carryong a CHL doesn't guarantee maturity or common sense.

I have no regrets feeling this way (and I still feel this way unless I know you well)...I saw too many police officers killed over 30 years...some were friends.
Excellent points!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
During my first 21 years in LE, I felt the same way as Old_Sp5.

NYC unrestricted carry permits are few and far between and the chances of a car stop with the occupant having one is slim to none. However, also working in the largest and most unpredictable city in the Country, Officers were constantly on high alert for a firearm...especially on car stops and domestic violence calls.

When I retired in 2006 and moved to AZ, it just felt different. Many more people carry here legally, but the crime rate is paltry compared to NYC.
During my short stint with AZ DPS, I was always on my toes as an Officer should be....but I felt a lot more comfortable when a driver told me they were carrying.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts

I am not a cop, never could be, I think most laws are dumb and should not be enforced :D but I personally feel the same way as Old_Sp5 about every stranger I meet. You don't know them, their intentions, their current state of mind (the latter you can't even know about your closest friends and family) so its best to be cautious. I feel the same way about everyone. I am just as suspicious about a cop who approaches me as I am about a some random guy walking towards me down the aisle in a parking lot.

The one thing we all have in common is that we are human and as such can be very unpredictable. There is nothing wrong with being cautious, you can still be polite and respectful at the same time.

I think Old_Sp5 and NYPD have the right outlook, be cautious.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts