Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know this the past couple years have been very exciting to watch the ammo industry come out with new designs for hunting and defensive ammo. No doubt you have seen ballistic polymer tipped ammo rated for varmints and just recently Hornady came out with leverlution, virtually resurrecting all the lever guns adding at least a hundred yards to their effectiveness. Now that there is polymer tipped ammo for handguns that are made for a more reliable feed in autos does everyone think the flying ashcans days are numbered? I know everyone here loves their speer gold dots, but would you give a little more money for something that is more accurate and would do virtually the same job with more reliability? And how long do you think law enforcement will take a shine to this new technology?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have not seen any handgun bullets like the Ballistic Tip or V-Max. I am curious to see if the technology can transfer well to handguns, with their much lower velocities. All of the polymer tipped handgun bullets that I am familiar with are very lightweight frangibles, which seem to have yielded mixed results. If that big hole in the front of the bullet helps it open up right, and deliver it's energy into the target in an effective manner, I am hard pressed to trade it in for something new without serious evidence that it is better. Of course, if that evidence turns up, I am willing to adapt to new information.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did not find that page when I went to Hornady's site. :???: I see now that it is on their "New for 2008" page.

That does look like interesting stuff. I can't wait to see feedback on it. Has anyone seen any sort of test results on it? I wonder what kind of velocity it would develop in the three inch pipe on my 607.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts