Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOURCE:
BREAKING: Square Drops All Firearm and Ammunition Retailers | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

BREAKING: Square Drops All Firearm and Ammunition Retailers Posted on May 10, 2013 by FirearmConcierge
Square, Inc – the up and coming mobile credit card processor for the masses – has decided to make a change to their user agreement today. I’m a gun merchant, so whenever a processor tells me that there’s a change to the user agreement it means my fees are about to go up or I need to find a new processor. In this case, it was the latter. Square has decided to drop all transactions related to firearm and ammunition sales as well as “weapons and other devices designed to cause physical injury,” whatever those may be. I took a quick skim through the language . . .​
and I figured it was mostly boilerplate. So naturally, just to be sure, I hit CTRL-F and typed in firearm. Note, the bold sections are my emphasis.​
Old Square Seller Agreement:
By creating a Square Account, you also confirm that you will not accept payments in connection with the following businesses or business activities: (1) any illegal activity, (2) buyers or membership clubs, … 23) internet/mail order/telephone order firearm or weapon sales, (24) internet/mail order/telephone order cigarette or tobacco sales,
NEW Square Seller Agreement:
By creating a Square Account, you also confirm that you will not accept payments in connection with the following businesses or business activities: (1) any illegal activity or goods, (2) buyers or membership clubs, … (23) sales of (i) firearms, firearm parts or hardware, and ammunition; or (ii) weapons and other devices designed to cause physical injury
In other words, before the change, Square was happy as a clam to be used for face-to-face firearms sales. But now, they don’t even want to be used if all you’re buying is something as innocuous as a new pair of grips for your 1911. All deals involving firearms are no longer allowed to be processed through Square.
Taking into account the sheer number of gun show vendors who sell knives, ammo and beef jerky (you could put someone’s eye out with that venison stick!), does anyone have ideas for adaptive recycling of all those square readers we can no longer use?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I guess I will never use Square and I am trying to find a way around paypal as well. What other money transfer sites are there to use?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I know two people who run small businesses and they use Square heavily as they are often selling away from a home base. Two is a small number but they would both push back once aware - or do I give a rat's azz about a company that will soon be competing with the next new technology?

This resembles the pharmacists who don't dispense given meds or tests based on their moral or religious ground. My opinion - they are in the wrong business. Not their call to make. If it's legal Square should process the transaction. There are ways around them but who needs to be dodgy when doing nothing wrong. *eye roll*

·
Registered
81 Posts
So run it as miscellaneous supplies! Really though, as long as they get their cut why does it matter to them if you're selling a legal product? Ohh wait, liberal bias....

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
The card processor does not know what was bought, only that the merchant sells guns and ammo, and that was enough for them to be dropped.
The info that gets transmitted is your name, card number, etc., and the amount of the purchase. NOT the item(s) you bought.

·
Registered
708 Posts
There are other operators besides square. Even have the plug in dongle for smartphones. Dont know if they refuse gun biz or not.

A quick search turned up the following:

Paynet Systems
RoamPay
Intuit
PhoneTransact
PayWare

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Machine parts is frequently used. Reloading gear = tools. If other systems process gun etc orders straight then that where I'd throw my business and - word of mouth is a very strong form of marketing. Great someone badly and you can burn them 1,000 times - they never know. If they are willing to pay the price of disgruntled former users, so be it!

·
Registered
15,159 Posts
Now would be a real good time for a Pro 2A processor to step up. the word of mouth advertising would be phenominal.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Now would be a good time for the NRA to get into this business. 2.75% of every transaction would go a long way towards defending the 2nd Amendment!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Now would be a good time for the NRA to get into this business. 2.75% of every transaction would go a long way towards defending the 2nd Amendment!
What a GREAT suggestion! Well put! :thumb:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Never even heard of square, but the name says it all.

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Now would be a real good time for a Pro 2A processor to step up. the word of mouth advertising would be phenominal.
Um ... Like Platinum Payment Systems? I haven't looked into this outfit, but TTAG seems to think highly of them. I need to look into it further.

Also, the comments section in TTAG (and elsewhere) can be a gold mine of information. A few questions posed in this thread have already been answered by posts there.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE
5/14/2013

SOURCE:
The Truth About Square's Decision to Ban Firearms, Ammo Sales | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

ORIGINAL CNN Story:
Mobile-payment service Square blocks gun sales - May. 13, 2013

The Truth About Square’s Decision to Ban Firearms, Ammo Sales Posted on May 14, 2013 by Robert Farago

According to cnn.com, mobile payment service provider Square is preparing for an IPO. Financial advisors looking to “clean-up” the company’s image may account for Square’s decision to kneecap its customers’ human, civil and Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms. Alternatively, Square’s CEO Jack Dorsey may have banned guns and ammo on his own for personal/political reasons . . .

The Twitter co-founder’s on record as admitting that he’d like to be Mayor of New York City. Yup, Dorsey’s a big fan of hi-tech eavesdropper, civilian disarmament proponent and all around fascist bastard, Michael Bloomberg.

“I think that Mayor Bloomberg has done an amazing job, and I and a lot of Silicon Valley look to him as a guiding light because he’s completely rethought what it means to be mayor,” Dorsey told CNN.

I don’t think that means what Dorsey thinks it means, as The People of the Gun will no doubt remind him. That would be the same group of gun owners who are not well pleased with Square’s official explanation for their guns and ammo ban:

A Square spokesman declined to comment on this specific change, but said: “From time to time we revisit our policies governing the use of Square to ensure they are consistent with our values and in the best interests of our customers.”

They did it for their customers. So now you know.

·
Super Moderator
20,017 Posts
You guys just read my mind (and that can be a dangerous thing to do:D) What an opportunity for a credit operator to step in as a 2A (firearms and related items) consumer credit guarantor! Kind of like the opportunity that Ruger took advantage of with the Single Six line of revolvers when all the western movies and TV shows created a consumer market for revolvers at the time that Colt decided to stop making them (1940s-19502, etd).

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I use square off site but they have nooooo idea what it was used for.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts