Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the many benefits of working at a gun shop is I get to carry at work, to such end I find myself carrying a bunch of different pistols. I will sometimes open carry one of my 1911's, usually the Grand Raptor or sometimes my Browning Highpower but most of the time I go concealed. The most carried is a tie between my LCP and Springfield EMP 9mm, with my XDm 3.8 compact 9mm every once in a while.

I have liked the XDs .45 since it came out but after shooting one the .45 was just too much for me so when we started getting in some 9mm versions last week I jumped. Only had the chance to put a few rounds through it but it has been 100% and accurate, been carrying for the last week (with a backup, just don't trust it yet) and at 26oz loaded I forget it's there. Carried it some in the factory holster but also in a Blackhawk Check 6 that is for an XDm (had to tighten the retaining screw all the way down, also installed a set of TruGlo TFO sights, they are fiber optic by day and power by Tritium by night. I have heard that Glock subcompact holster work well but will have to try some to find some more carry options but I think this one will wedge it's way into the rotation.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
sweet!

Reactions: stallard

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Nice, not sure I could afford to work in a gun store! :D

·
Registered
14,084 Posts
My FFL had a couple of those in the last time I was over to his house. They are pretty sweet little pistols. He said he was holding out for the .45 cal.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I really like guns like this. It seems that our latest generation of sub-compact, single stack 9mm's, with the double recoil springs are about one light year from the Kel-Tec PF9. No disrespect meant to the PF9, but it is a fine, reliable weapon. Recoil is too harsh for the average older shooter, and many of our female shooters.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Lucky! Nice gun. I've been carrying my XD service size everyday and everywhere I can. That one would be a great back pocket gun to have.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I picked up an XDs in .45 recently and I'm pretty pleased with it, too. I do wish I had access to one in 9mm (at least temporarily) just to compare the two at the range, i.e. how much harder (really) is the .45 to handle, given careful load selection to balance recoil versus performance.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I didn't know they had one in 9mm. I figured the .45 was nice but I already have a couple of PT145's, and it's not too much wider/bigger and carries almost twice the ammo than the XDs. But now for a 9mm... hmm might have to think about that one, it would surely be a nice carry piece when I wanted lighter and somewhat smaller for the day.

Grats to you on yours! That looks nice. Is that the blackhawk holster in the pic?

·
Registered
24,845 Posts
Very nice rig. Carry safe, carry often, and carry on.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I carry an older springfield xd subcompact 9mm, it is the best shooting gun that i own. Curious, how much thinner is the single stack?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is that the blackhawk holster in the pic?
It is,

I have found the check 6 to to be very comfortable for me and I have one for most of my carry guns. It's big negative is strength of draw, with your had behind your back it takes very little effort for someone to be able to hold your arm and you not be able to draw your pistol.

With many of my button down shirts untucked I can slide the holster around and treat it more as a std holster, with a better draw.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I carry an older springfield xd subcompact 9mm, it is the best shooting gun that i own. Curious, how much thinner is the single stack?

Here is a comparison with my XDm 3.8 compact, not a lot smaller but thinner and lighter. Of course the XDm carries 6 more rounds with a 19 round spare mag and mine has a Viridian light laser combo that adds some weight.

Speaking of the Viridian Light/laser combo it came with this holster, the unit is programmable for std light or laser, both or either flashing in any combination and the holster will turn off the unit and back on when drawn. It has become my new bedside and open carry rig.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts