1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
13,395 Posts
I had a 2.5" barreled S.S. King Cobra years ago that I added to the list of regrettably selling. I'll have to take a look at this when it's in the gun shops.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
969 Posts
Outstanding! Particularly for those like me that want to see a minimum barrel length of 3" on a .357 Magnum revolver.

I do not believe that Colt made a mistake here. The concealed carry market should be their first priority. I'll bet model variations will be coming soon.

The only gripe I've ever had is that the larger version Anaconda always seemed to have a somewhat slow lock time. I can't remember if there's any difference in the size of the parts for the lockworks of the King Cobra and the Anaconda. The King Cobra never quite earned the reputation for accuracy in comparison to the revolvers it will likely compete against; the Smith 586/686 and the Ruger GP100. It will be interesting to see what street prices turn out to be. If it doesn't compete with the Smith and Ruger in price . . .

Not so long ago I was listening to Gun Talk Radio with Tom Gresham. The subject of the Python came up. Tom stated that Colt did not keep the manufacturing drawings for the Python, as crazy as that sounds, so it's not a simple matter of programming a CNC machine to manufacture them. In effect, it sounds like Colt will have to reverse engineer their own revolver, provided that this info is correct.

But that is not to say that they won't do whatever they need to to get the Python back into production if they succeed first with the King Cobra line. I for one would not be interested in an Anaconda without an improved lockwork. I'm very curious to see if they've modified the King Cobra's. I would suspect that even if Colt puts the Python back into production, manufacturing with CAD/Cam technology, the price will likely be closer, maybe even higher tha the Dan Wesson 715 made now by CZ.

This could be huge, and get Colt in better financial shape down the road. They did get the barrel length right. If you carry IWB, 1/2" more of barrel length isn't that big a deal. But when you start cutting barrel length below the typical 4" revolvers, the bigger the price you pay in ballistic performance as well as full-length ejector rods and overall weight to tame the recoil.

Just my preliminary thoughts.;)

Reactions: PreacherRodgers

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
Now if they could get the custom shop up and running to produce the Royal Blue finish, I might be interested.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
22,952 Posts
Oh, the news from Colt just gets better and better!

·
Administrator
18,179 Posts
Well, it definitely has some differences with my original Colt King Cobra.

New 2019 Colt King Cobra

Ruger Speed Six
Colt MkV Trooper
Colt King Cobra

I could be tempted to get a new one, but I'm hanging on to the older one!

·
22,952 Posts
I like the older style cylinder release better. And bluing. Bet it will be a really good revolver though!

·
Premium Member
13,395 Posts

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
Interested and a half!
The real key to the royal blue finish was to polish everything to a mirror finish before the bluing process. If you had roll marks or sharp corners you couldn't use standard buffs or wheels. Old photos showed wooden cored wheels with leather straps around them as the polishing tool. this was from a time when the result was more important than the time it took to get there. The US has lost that ability as a society. We are a consumer based economy whereas in the past we were a manufacturing based one. The Colt Custom shop could become that again producing limited numbers that would sell for astronomical prices and people would still buy them. Eventually I'll get either an older project gun or build my own steel gun and get to the point where I can come close to replicating the royal blue finish. If I as a single person can do it, surely Colt with intimate knowledge of the process could do it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I bet they add adjustable sights on 4" models and longer if there's enough demand to put the full line back in the catalog.;)

·
Premium Member
13,395 Posts
Having seen several of their recent production revolvers, I'm not impressed. If you want a good revolver right now, look at the Kimber K6s.
Just curious, have you shot any of them?

·
Registered
27,629 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I've shot a Cobra. I've had a number of Taurus revolvers I could shoot more accurately. It's the fit and finish I object to. I can take a little rough on a 270 dollar revolver. When you start pushing 700, it better be nice. From what I saw of the Cobra, it was not. I was also somewhat miffed they called it a Cobra when it bore little resemblance to the original. Of course, I'l still angry with Colt over the little 9mm pistol they sold me. I loved it. I called to get a spare mag or two and the Colt CS rep told me they should never have made a gun that small for the civilian market and they would not be supporting the pistol, and parts including magazines would not be available. I promptly sold it and all my Colts. So, I am biased.

·
Administrator
18,179 Posts
Then it wouldn't be a Cobra.

Sounds like what you want is for them to resurrect the Trooper.
You're not alone.
My old Colt King Cobra came with an Adjustable Rear Sight, as did my MkV Trooper.
Both are built on the MkV Frame.

It would be great if they brought back the Trooper, too!

Reactions: 57K
1 - 20 of 34 Posts