Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Another church shooting

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Sleeper 
#1 ·
I just saw on cnn a man armed with a shotgun entered a church, opening fire 1 dead and 9 injured. This happened 10 am in Knoxville TN. about 1 hour from where I live. This just confirms my thoughts, carry everywhere and trust nobody. I will start carrying at church now, if this happens at my church maybe I can ablige the BG with a double tap. Very sad :'(

#2 ·
sargedog said:
I just saw on cnn a man armed with a shotgun entered a church, opening fire 13 dead and 9 injured. This happened 10 am in Knoxville TN. about 1 hour from where I live. This just confirms my thoughts, carry everywhere and trust nobody. I will start carrying at church now, if this happens at my church maybe I can ablige the BG with a double tap. Very sad :'(
Sadly, churchs here in Kansas are no carry zones per the CCH law. Wonder if this will change anything.

Thoughts and prayers to those involved.

#3 ·
I'm a pastor of a church in Kansas; My youngest son (21) and I both carry in church. I think maybe 1 or 2 parishners do as well. I became convinced that it was the smart thing to do after an incident took place one Sunday night early this year.

I was the last one to leave the church this particular night; I walked out the front door of the chuch and when I did, lights came on in a car parked a ways down the parking lot. I had parked my truck in a space that had me blocked forward and on the driver side. In other words, I could turn out to the right or back up only. Anyway, I kinda had a funny feeling, but thought I was being paranoid at first. About the time I reached my truck the car sped across the parking lot on my passenger side and then parked in such a way that it blocked me in completely. My threat level went from about a 2 to an 8 immediately! I got real concerned and thought to myself, they think I'm the book keeper with the evening offering on me.

Well I made it in to my truck right as they pulled along side and as providence would have it, I had been out to one of my deacon's house in the country that afternoon target shooting with my
PT-45. I had expended all my target ammo, but had the good sense to load one of my mags back up with my SD rnds. The gun was in my glove box and my mag was in my console (didn't have my carry permit at that time) My dome light was on so they could see in my cab when I held my 45 up and popped the mag in and looked at them with my evil look lol! You never saw a car screech off so quick! Thank God! I would have hated to had to shoot some one that night.
So every since that event I carry all the time! It's sad that it has gotten so bad in our nation that a preacher feels like he has to carry a weapon to protect himself and his congregation in church.

#4 ·
I think part of the problem is, that lawmakers think church is safe, because everyone is there for one reason. But what I'm sure they forget, is the person looking for random carnage, or the disgruntled partner looking for the other half. And then as you said, the person looking to get that days offering. These days, you have to consider every possibility, everywhere. When it's somewhere you consider safe, the bg knows you're letting your guard down. The more safe you feel, the more aware you need to be. I can see why they add certain places to the no carry list, gov't buildings, most of which have metal detectors, and lots of security, but I don't understand others, such as church's, and library's. These places rarely have any security, and I've never seen one with metal detectors. As sad as it may be, these are a couple of places you may need that protection. Better safe, than dead.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Places of worship are only gun free zones in Texas if they are posted with the correct signage or verbal admonition is given in the same language. A violation of this section of the penal code is criminal trespass. My parish does not post. As one of the signature lines states "carry 24/7 or guess right" My prayers extend to the injured for a speedy recovery and to the family of the deceased for their loss.

#9 ·
TNT-Truth said:
It's sad that it has gotten so bad in our nation that a preacher feels like he has to carry a weapon to protect himself and his congregation in church.
This is one of the ways my lil bro got me on line with the conceal carry. A real good friend and coworker of his is/was a preacher man, an EMT, and a all round good fella. They took their CCH class together and now host classes for local folks. (Heck, half of my hometown is packin' feel real safe there ;).) Anyway, can't remember about his wife, but I do know that he and his daughter (also permited) just went out and bought matchin' Glocks :rolleyes: I figured if it was coming to that, I'd better get to packin too.

I'm not a real religious (pun intended) church-goer myself (Lord knows I should) but I do believe after seeing stories such as this, when the kids and I do start attending services, I may carry. matter of fact, I'll have to recheck the Nebraska laws on the subject to see how deep I would have to conceal. ;)

Lastly, we would also like to extend our best wishes to the victims, may they find peace through our Lord. And may the Lord help this troubled soul whom committed this awful sin.

#13 ·
In Texas, you just have to look for a sign that prohibits. If there is no sign, you can legally conceal carry there.

Talk about punching your ticket to hell - killing somebody in a CHURCH !!

I'll be carrying in church too, as soon as I get my CHL in the mail. Probably something very discreet, like my Keltec but I will be carrying. If you could save even one life, so much the better.

#14 ·
TNT-Truth said:
In Kansas, Churches have to be posted with a sign of regulation size in order for the law to be valid.
If there is no sign you can carry. I will never post one in my church!
If I'm reading it right, and who knows if I am, not an attorney you know, but I believe it's the same way you are reading it. Churchs are on the list of no carry zones, but, it must be posted in order to be enforced. If there is no sign, I can carry there, but can you get in trouble for not posting the sign when you are supposed to?

75-7c10. Same; places where carrying concealed weapon not authorized; penalties for
violations. (a) Provided that the premises are conspicuously posted in accordance with rules and
regulations adopted by the attorney general as premises where carrying a concealed weapon is prohibited,
no license issued pursuant to this act shall authorize the licensee to carry a concealed weapon into:

(21) any church or temple;

#15 ·
Sounds like they gotta post, tubaman.

Read all of the statute though. A lot of folks think churches in Texas are off limits, and they read no further. But when you read the whole thing, It's not as it seems. In Texas it must be posted or proper notification verbally given.

#16 ·
Right Smoke - when I say a sign, I mean a PROPER sign, with the correct verbage, persuant to 30.06, in english AND spanish.

#17 ·
tubaman said:
If I'm reading it right, and who knows if I am, not an attorney you know, but I believe it's the same way you are reading it. Churchs are on the list of no carry zones, but, it must be posted in order to be enforced. If there is no sign, I can carry there, but can you get in trouble for not posting the sign when you are supposed to?
No, We are not required by law to post a sign. H.B. 2528 clarifed and Modified some former restrictions as to where we could not carry and how we were allowed to store our weapons in vehicles. It also clarified how schools, businesses and churches must post signs. It basically exempts a person with a CCL from prosecution if not properly posted, but there is nothing that makes it a law that you have to post a gun ban sign.

#18 ·
Now days you never know where a disgruntled person with social problems is going to cross your path. We now know that at least two people have been senselessly killed because of this person and numerous other have been scarred physically, mentally, and emotionally for life, some of them little children. I know of very few places that you can now be at condition white and be safe. I'd rather be armed and have a chance to defend others and myself, than be lying in my own blood dieing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.