Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took my new(replaced) PT1911 to range today, 142 rds. later the extractor broke again in the exact same spot the first one broke. i called dealer who i bought the pistol from,he told me he would get in touch with his rep at Davidsons. he told me they would either replace the pistol again or give me a 5%rebate to cover the cost of an aftermarket extractor,whichever i wanted. i may just buy a extractor from midway. oh i also talked to Christian at Taurus customer service, he said he would send me a extractor. the blue are on backorder but he is sending me a stainless extractor and when the blue comes in he will send me one of those to. pretty good customer service between dealer and Taurus.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I'm glad the service has been good. Even if your experience has been bad!

Did you notice anything funny at all before the extractor went the second time??

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no just like the first one was shooting, pistol was functioning fine and then all sudden FTE where next rd. was pushed into back of empty case still in chamber.

·
Registered
624 Posts
OSO, check for clocking, I thought you said on your first thread that you had profiled the new extractor correctly, extractors don't break on the pull action but on the push action specially if pushing behind the case rim,

Cuban

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
535 Posts
oh i also talked to Christian at Taurus customer service, he said he would send me a extractor. the blue are on backorder but he is sending me a stainless extractor and when the blue comes in he will send me one of those to. pretty good customer service between dealer and Taurus.[/QUOTE]

Well, now you will have a back-up extractor.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CUBAN i did profile the extractor but i used the stock FPS, i think the problem i'm having is what you mentioned above clocking. the oversized EGW FPS that you used is that a series 70 that you removed material to modify into series 80?

·
Registered
624 Posts
OSO they sell them for both 70 and 80 blue steel or stainless there about $15.00 at Brownell they com oversized so that you can file fit them tight they also come square at the bottom so that you can add what ever radius you want, read my tread on the EGW FPS for more info. Good Luck The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - EGW small radius FPS benefits

As far as just getting the FPS to fit into its slot in the slide, there should be no difference between the different 1911 sizes except for those created by manufacturing tolerances of the FPS and the slide. And the EGW FPS is made too wide by design - so it can be fitted to minimize or eliminate extractor clocking.

As far as the bottom radius is concerned - leave it square to start with if you want to. Once radiused, it's hard to make square again

Cuban

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for info CUBAN, i did read your thread i think the issues you brought up could very well be way the extractors keep breaking.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, oso, but that sure is a fine looking buck mount in your avatar pic!

Could you start a new thread in the lounge section and post a larger pic of that beast?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello,

Could be push feed...

You may have weak mag springs or mis-formed feed lips that allow the round to get in front of the extractor claw and force the extractor to snap over the case rim.....then if your extractor tunnel is on the small side or if the extractor claw is fat there may not be enough room for the extractor to snap over the case rim....forcing the extractor to break.....

Have you tried other magazines?
Do you insert a cartridge into the barrel then drop the slide?
Do you see brass marks on the front of the extractor claw before it breaks?

Rgsd
Eric

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've always heard that cliché that extractor are like light bulbs but I think that these extractor are breaking because of (push feed) which can be caused by three different components that is if the FPS is not holding the extractor tight the extractor can (clock) that is turn slightly clock wise and not allow the rim of the case to slide smoothly behind the hook, second if you magazine spring is weak or you haven't smoothed out the magazine case with lets say some plumbers emery cloth, the slide will return to battery quicker than the magazine spring and cause the hook to miss the case rim creating a (push feed), three a 16# recoil spring is really over sprung compared to the original design which was 14# and cause a (push feed) which forces the hook over the case rim which was never intended to happen, and Fourth the standard stock extractor provided by Taurus is not shaped correctly, a correctly profiled hook should be shaped with a beveled bottom as to create a funnel and that area should be mirror polished to easily scoop up the case rim. by changing out your stock Recoil spring from stock 16# to 14# allows the magazine spring to catch up and prevent (push feed), must 1911 owner think that the recoil spring is to tame the recoil but in fact the compression of the spring is to cock it for it's intended purpose which is to feed a fresh round into the chamber.

An extractor on a well tuned 1911 should last you into the thousands of rounds, the reason I know that the stock extractors from Taurus are not profiled correctly is that I ordered an extra one from them and the bottom of the hook was not beveled correctly but was shaped straight down with out that most important bevel that is shaped like a funnel for easy scoop up of the case rim. I hear from people that say that the extractors made by Taurus are inferior and MIM but theres no evidence that their either if anything they are exceptionally made from good forged spring steel when you think of all the round that are shot through them with incorrect profiles and constantly being pushed forced over the case rim.

OSO, if you call Taurus in Miami and ask to speak with Christian @ ext 238 he will send you a new extractor with in a weeks time he's the go to man there, just remember that you will have to profile the bottom of the hooks correctly, I think if you Google 1911 extractor profile you should find an illustration of what the correct profile should be, you might have to buy some fine jeweler's file from Lowe's to cut the bottom of the hook correctly. Good Luck

Cuban

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cuban
your suspected problem is correct, since extractor was already broke i took needle nose pliers tried to turn extractor. there was some rotation, not alot but enough to allow a clocking issue. i was surprised becuase factory FPS was really tight. so when new extractor comes in i will replace FPS with EGW oversized FPS. since i'll have to fit the part i am going to put a taper on it. also i'm not going to stop there i am going to replace springs with 14# recoil and 23# main. i did see your thread on M 1911 .org and all the replies, they really get technical over there,but info was very helpful. i think you are dead on with FPS and recoil control. also on the EGW oversized FPS i'm not going to put much of a radius on it, pretty much just take sharp corner off and test function.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i still have not recieved a extractor from taurus, dealer whom i purchased PT1911 called today, his regular rep. from davidsons that he deals with has been out for a month now. the rep. that he talked to said he has to get approval before they can give me a rebate to replace extractor. so the dealer said the heck with it, he saw davidsons had 1 PT1911 BHW left so he took it and will replace my pistol again. so i will have a new pistol later this evening. i told the dealer if the extractor breaks again i won't bother him anymore, i'm going to order a Cylinder & Slide extractor for a back up, as i do not know how long it will be before i recieve one from taurus. he told me he doesn't have a problem replacing pistols as that is davidsons lifetime warranty. over a extractor i'm done swaping pistols, i will have a good backup.

·
Registered
624 Posts
OSO, the extractor from Cylinder & Slide will not hold the firing pin safety plunger on the slide, but will drop off the slide, if your inclined to use one any ways always remember that your gun will function fine with out the plunger and spring on the slide, you will need to check if the lever will encroach the hole left. I've been using mine in that configuration for about 5K rounds with out incident, but you need to check. I don't think that any body makes one for Taurus PT1911 but Taurus. Good luck.

Cuban

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for info Cuban, i will have to to check that out if the time comes that i need to replace another extractor. hopefully this extractor in new pistol will last more than a few hundred rds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sent my pt 1911 in for a different problem and for some reason they decided to replace my extractor. No problems w/ it before sending it in. It broke after 60 rounds when I got it back! I put a Wilson Combat bullet proof one in mine.Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
did the wilson combat bullet proof extractor hold the firing pin block and firing pin block spring?

·
Registered
218 Posts
no just like the first one was shooting, pistol was functioning fine and then all sudden FTE where next rd. was pushed into back of empty case still in chamber.
Same exact thing happened to me Saturday. Ran a couple of mags thru the pistol, let a few guys run a few more mags and when I took my next turn the first shot did what yours did. Waaa

1 - 20 of 21 Posts