Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know, we've heard it all before, but here goes anyway. My local Academy gets shipments Tues, Thurs, and Saturdays. I've always gone on Saturdays when I don't work OT. Since the madness started, you had best be there by about 7:15 (opens 8:00) to have any hope at all. There's always the same bunch at the front of the line anyway, and I can think of better places to camp. Anyway, couple of weeks ago, decided to go a little later, like 7:45. Pretty far back, but still got my 50rd box of 9mm. They had quite a bit that day, even a few 100rd boxes. Today, I decided not to hurry, get there a little after 8; few people still walking out with ammo, figured I'd be lucky to have anything left. To my surprise, there were probably 30-40 boxes of Speer Lawman, couple boxes Remington, several Monarch (94 grain?)...plus .45, .223, .308. Just couldn't believe that much was still there! Got my one 50rd box and left. I guess my question is this: have the "hoarders" finally figured they have enough, the "gougers" figured out they're not going to make the fortune they thought, and in-store stock will start going up? I realize it'll be awhile to get back to whatever your definition of normalcy is, but again, I was just surprised. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
May have gotten lucky and they got a larger shipment in. It is still very scarce but I am starting to see a box or 2 hear and there, which is better than a month ago when I saw no ammo.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Okay, I know, we've heard it all before, but here goes anyway. My local Academy gets shipments Tues, Thurs, and Saturdays. I've always gone on Saturdays when I don't work OT. Since the madness started, you had best be there by about 7:15 (opens 8:00) to have any hope at all. There's always the same bunch at the front of the line anyway, and I can think of better places to camp. Anyway, couple of weeks ago, decided to go a little later, like 7:45. Pretty far back, but still got my 50rd box of 9mm. They had quite a bit that day, even a few 100rd boxes. Today, I decided not to hurry, get there a little after 8; few people still walking out with ammo, figured I'd be lucky to have anything left. To my surprise, there were probably 30-40 boxes of Speer Lawman, couple boxes Remington, several Monarch (94 grain?)...plus .45, .223, .308. Just couldn't believe that much was still there! Got my one 50rd box and left. I guess my question is this: have the "hoarders" finally figured they have enough, the "gougers" figured out they're not going to make the fortune they thought, and in-store stock will start going up? I realize it'll be awhile to get back to whatever your definition of normalcy is, but again, I was just surprised. Thoughts?
You answered your own question when you said you see the "same bunch at the front of the line".

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
You answered your own question when you said you see the "same bunch at the front of the line".
A lot of folks will continue invest in ammo, mostly because we realize that there may be briefest respites in action against guns and ammo, but it will always be an ongoing battle, and the rhetoric will just get worse and worse, if that is possible.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
A lot of folks will continue invest in ammo, mostly because we realize that there may be briefest respites in action against guns and ammo, but it will always be an ongoing battle, and the rhetoric will just get worse and worse, if that is possible.
Doom and gloom.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Wise and Proactive!!!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I do believe the ammo shortage will end soon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Hopefully manufacturers such as Sellier & Bellot, Prvi Partizan, Aquila, and others will start loading container ships full of ammo and sending it this way.

We could use the extra shipments, they can make more money than usual, and we can help keep our prices lower with plenty of extra stock.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm still finding ammo on some late after jaunts to Wally World here. I've been concentrating on .44 Magnums and the last three weeks I have been able to walk out with 3-boxes of them.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Our local Walmart has closed the gun counter from 10 pm to 8 am and will not sell any guns or ammo during that time.

·
Banned
4,840 Posts
Our local Walmart has closed the gun counter from 10 pm to 8 am and will not sell any guns or ammo during that time.
Good idea. Actually, with the abundance, and tenacity, of the ammo addicts and speculators, they could only open ammo sales from 4 to 5 AM. The addicted would show up at 3:30, stand in line for their allotted dosage, empty the shelves, and the help could be sent home.

They could also sell coffee and donuts from 3:30 to 4. The profit from that, plus lowering labor costs, would help their bottom line without having to raise ammo prices. They may even be able to market 'membership only' cards, and call it the '4 AM Club'.

Tongue in cheek, of course, but I have to laugh and wonder how many that jump through so many hoops to buy bullets are the same ones that complain about 'political sheeple'.

Reactions: brazostaurus

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kerk's a mind-reader! I've been thinking of getting the wife to make up a batch of breakfast tacos, take to academy on Sat mornings...

Reactions: vonzipper

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I've finished any early morning waits in line unless they have a few items that draw my attention. Federal .223 100 count packs will get my attention and I will be there early for that. for .22, I'm pretty satisfied, and did driv3e the 2 miles this morning, left the house at 7, walked in at 7:15 and picked up my three packs of Mini-Mags, which I always like to have, but it's no longer worth getting up and being there at 5 am for.

A buddy of mine is still going early and the lines have not dissipated at Walmart yet. The folks there all the time will continue to buy all they can until they realize it is a pretty good supply coming in. It's starting to look better to me now, but it is hard to turn down Walmarts current prices. A couple of items I don't buy are the Winchester .223 and 7.62 x 39 as both are $30 for a box of 40...that is $.75 per round, way too high when the Federal red boxes are $34.97 per hundred, I'm pretty patient to wait for them.

I think the gun grabbers are paying as much attention to ammo sales as we do, so I hope ammo sales continue, although I would like to see sensible pricing return.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts