Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... through his hat:

Bridges Urging For Tighter Gun Control Laws16 hours ago | WENN | See recent WENN news »

A coffee shop hold-up has prompted actor Beau Bridges to urge politicians to fight for tighter gun control laws.

The Descendants star grew up hunting with his grandfather and he himself trained in the military with a rifle but Bridges is adamant America should foster stronger legislation, so weapons don't fall into the wrong hands.

And he has one terrifying experience to back up his concern.

He tells the New York Daily News, "Many years ago, probably when I was in my late 20s, I got held up at a little coffee shop in Los Angeles. I could feel the cold steel in between my eyes. It becomes a very personal situation when something like that happens. My spirit left my body.

"I thought I was out of here (dead). It's something you never forget. The guy ended up shooting someone in the restaurant in the leg.

"I ran out and called the cops. They got the guy... That just gave me another reason to understand that we have to understand the power of guns, and make sure they don't get into the wrong people's hands."

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
A person has a famous actor as a father and then get's a career in Hollywood as a result. This gives the person a platform to make pronouncements. The world listens like this person has something important to say. He is an actor; why don't we learn to listen and hold up people who deserve that position and not actors? Actors and politicians probably merit the least amount of credibility of any two professions. Well, lawyers might make that group as well.

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
It's amazing how common sense can elude even the most well intentioned people. His motives are good - keeping guns out of bad people's hands - but the reality of that is, it will never happen. Ever.

So, if you take that hard reality and move forward from it, don't you naturally come to the conclusion that "okay, then good people should be carrying guns to protect themselves" ?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I fully agree, we do need stronger gun control laws. I think everyone should be required to own at least one gun provided they are legally eligible. If more people carried it would be a much more polite society.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with all about keeping guns out of the wrong hands,but I dont personally know of any criminal who goes and gets their permit,or buys a gun and has it registered.So the problem is not with

gun laws,criminals don't go by the laws or they wouldn't be criminals.

OR AT LEAST THAT MAKES SENSE TO ME!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It's amazing how common sense can elude even the most well intentioned people. His motives are good - keeping guns out of bad people's hands - but the reality of that is, it will never happen. Ever.

So, if you take that hard reality and move forward from it, don't you naturally come to the conclusion that "okay, then good people should be carrying guns to protect themselves" ?
Jeff Cooper once observed that the anti-gun camp is guided not by logic but by psychological conditioning, and I am inclined to agree.

Because he was disarmed and survived a criminal attack, it stands to reason by his logic that everyone can survive a criminal attack while being similiarly disarmed. Suggesting that citizens carry guns is abhorrent because that would by default imply that he was responsible for his own predicament-and we all know how easy it is for people to assume responsibility for their own defense.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
There are any number of people who feel that anything that they don't have, either by choice or lack of ability, should be restricted. High Performance cars, Firearms, Alcohol, Knives outside of those THEY consider necessary for the kitchen, and it goes on and on.

So, if an actor comes out and says that there should be no cars capable of exceeding the posted speed limits, would anyone pay them any attention?

The same goes for guns, knives, bowling balls, jewelry, and so on.

Remember, PETA is always a favorite of Hollywood denizens, too.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
While I completely understand the actual mental process of assigning blame to inanimate objects, it always amazes me that people like Beau Bridges actually choose to blame the gun rather than the moron that put one to his head. Assume for a moment that there were no such things as guns, assume the don't exist. The bad guy in the coffee shop might have held a fork to Mr Bridges head and threatened to kill him if he didn't co operate. Would Mr. Bridges then want to outlaw all forks? The "logic" is illogical. It's the bad guy and his willingness to violate the rights of others that needs to be addressed. But for some reason it is very difficult for some people to address the frailties of human behavior with the same enthusiasm they apply to other interests. Perhaps it's because "there but for the grace of God go I", as all of us have the potential to bring forth both good and evil from our character. In any event banning or restricting guns is not the solution and in fact will only make things worse, as has been proven over and over again.

Reactions: Lance0812

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Beau Bridges is one of those people who want someone to come to their rescue, but he would never have the actual intestinal fortitude to actually defend himself.

Then there are those of us who would prefer to fight our own fights, the independents who trust no one with their family's safety and who have the intestinal and moral fortitude to stand up and do the right thing for others. Those who will not stand idly by and watch while evil deeds are done.

Problem is the sheep have a hard time differentiating between the wolves and the sheep dogs, but then, they would never be one of those doing anything other than bleating....er, whining about it. Gun control is the wolves getting the sheep to help in their own slaughter.

Reactions: blackpanzer

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
If actors want to offer their opinions on acting technique I'm all ears. Other than that I wish they'd just shut the hell up. Will Rogers said “There's nothing dumber than an educated man, once you get him off the thing he's educated in.” Actors are educated in acting. Their opinions on anything else tends to point out just how right Will Rogers was.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
... through his hat:

Bridges Urging For Tighter Gun Control Laws16 hours ago | WENN | See recent WENN news »

A coffee shop hold-up has prompted actor Beau Bridges to urge politicians to fight for tighter gun control laws.

The Descendants star grew up hunting with his grandfather and he himself trained in the military with a rifle but Bridges is adamant America should foster stronger legislation, so weapons don't fall into the wrong hands.

And he has one terrifying experience to back up his concern.

He tells the New York Daily News, "Many years ago, probably when I was in my late 20s, I got held up at a little coffee shop in Los Angeles. I could feel the cold steel in between my eyes. It becomes a very personal situation when something like that happens. My spirit left my body.

"I thought I was out of here (dead). It's something you never forget. The guy ended up shooting someone in the restaurant in the leg.

"I ran out and called the cops. They got the guy... That just gave me another reason to understand that we have to understand the power of guns, and make sure they don't get into the wrong people's hands."
Sounds like his spine left his body too . . .

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Heres an idea.. let the good guys have firearms too!

·
Registered
31,749 Posts
Were it not for Beau's father, Lloyd and his brother, Jeff; Beau would have been working on cannery row. At least he isn't famous enough for many folks to pay him any attention! I suspect in real life, their (Jeff and Beau's) movie "The Fabulous Baker Boys" may have been a fairly good depiction.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
It amazes me that they have no problem makeing a living "gun slinging" on the silver screen...

...but hypocratically want to deprive law abiding citizens the right to protect their families.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
A person has a famous actor as a father and then get's a career in Hollywood as a result. This gives the person a platform to make pronouncements. The world listens like this person has something important to say. He is an actor; why don't we learn to listen and hold up people who deserve that position and not actors? Actors and politicians probably merit the least amount of credibility of any two professions. Well, lawyers might make that group as well.
And I don't think that Bridges is that much of an actor, either.

Reactions: BigSkiff

·
Registered
8 Posts
He must have a movie coming out soon.

If he had of been packing some "STEEL" back in the 70's maybe he could have blown that dude away....what a wimp.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts