Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have 2 PT1911s. One is a blued PT1911 and the other is an SS model. I noticed when I got my PT1911SS that its safety did not engage as crisp as my regular 1911. It didnt really bother me until one day the left side safety fell out. I reinstalled the safety and noticed that the ambi safety on my ss did not fit against the frame like my blued version. I even tapped the two sides together and there is still a gap inbetween both safetys and the frame. My blued version has no gap. This problem really isnt an issue with the stock black grips but they are ugly and I bought some rosewood grips yesterday that look much better. The right side grip will not fit even though it was designed for an ambi safety 1911. When you tighten down on the gip screws it holds down the safety and doesnt allow it to move. My question is: Should I grind down the little shaft where the two safetys meet together to make them flush agaist the frame. I have another set of grips that will fit the gun that I modified to fit the ambi safety but the safety seems loose and not very crisp because the extra room in groove I cut out of the grip and that is what holds the safety in place right?. I think if I modify my new grips by grinding out a little more wood where the safety is it will fit but I will have the same problem. What should I do? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
For what it's worth, my right side ambi thumb safety had a gap from the factory. I didn't really notice until I detail stripped the gun to replace the hammer. When I put the gun back together, I was able to get the right side safety flush with the frame.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can slide the two safetys together side to side and eliminate the gap on one side at a time. If I slide them to the left there is not gap on the right side but the left side safety is able to come loose very easily. If I slide them to the right there is no gap on the left but it will not stay that way. If I operate the right hand safety at all the left side will come apart or become disengaged from the right one but will remain in the frame. Should I glue them? Should I grind down the shaft that they are conected by?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts