Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start carrying a BUG and want to carry on my ankle. I dont have the room in my pockets. I'm picking up a new 738 this weekend and need some ankle holster recommendations. So far all I've been able to find for the 738 is the Desantis Apache. Im not looking for a molded leather ya ya ya just something simple that does its job. The Desantis looks fine, just curious if there are others out there that might fit the bill.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Look at an Uncle Mikes (number 12 I believe). Got one for my wife and she likes it. Relatively inexpensive, comfortable, and seems to work just fine.

Reactions: Freedom First

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I highly recommend Billy McCabe, he is a leathersmith topnotch. He made me a ankle holster that is the best out there.

McCabe's Custom Leather

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I want to start carrying a BUG and want to carry on my ankle. I dont have the room in my pockets. I'm picking up a new 738 this weekend and need some ankle holster recommendations. So far all I've been able to find for the 738 is the Desantis Apache. Im not looking for a molded leather ya ya ya just something simple that does its job. The Desantis looks fine, just curious if there are others out there that might fit the bill.

Thanks
It seems to me that most of you Texans wear boots, do you? If so your boot maker/leather shop can make you a nice little holster/pocket there in the uppers of your boot. I've been carrying my 'ol 1911a1 there for years.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use a DeSantis ankle holster for my M851. It has strap for retention, nice padding on the inside of the ankle wrap and is shaped so that it contours around the ankle bone and the shape over the top of your shoe. I've worn this setup practically every day since Dec '09. I just looked at mine here in the office but can't decipher which model it is. Seems like the packaging way back when was "J-frame." Mine was a TIGHT fit at first but now slides right in and out. It's snug and safe but no hangups on the draw.

I've had to take off running a time or two with mine and the thought of it flopping out never crossed my mind. It didn't turn and rotate on my ankle either. I hardly even know it's there.

I like it on the ankle as opposed to pocket (It's my BUG) for one I have the use of the pocket for other things. During my morning/afternoon commute sitting in my vehicle or while at my desk, it's much easier to get to than my primary in a CBST.

Check your weapon every evening. Like pocket carry and lint, I get a lot lint and dry skin etc so keep it clean. Only real negative I've had is certain dress slacks ride up a bit more when you sit. In my office concealed means CONCEALED and I've been "made" twice in the last 3 years.

Brad

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up picking up a Taurus 856 and a Desantis Apache ankle rig. Wore them both all day today and it worked out great. The 738 just didn't feel right in my hand so I went with the wheel gun. I think I made the right decision.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I also use the Uncle Mike's ankle holster. I wanted one that was simple and light for when I am riding motorcycle and don't want to use the pocket holster.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Do you have any experience with the ankle carry?

If not, you might want to borrow one for a all day test drive before buying.

This carry, like shoulder holsters, looks attractive on the surface, but does have it's draw backs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just a thought off topic. I carried a .380 for years on my ankle. When I went back to K9's, my first week I was waist deep in yuck. I new that gun would only get off one shot most likely and started carrying a 5 shot after that on the ankle as I knew it would fire every time.

If you have a local cop shop, they will have some good stuff to check out. I too want to get one for my 738 so I am interested. (for off dutystuff)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've used the Uncle Mikes for ankle carrying my Rossi 462. The calf strap keeps the heavy snubbie from sliding around. Another trick that I have learned is to wear the rig tucked into my sock. It helps with stability and preventing it from being seen if your pantleg creeps up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts