Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I used to carry on my ankle it was always on the outside of my ankle. Been thinking about going back to my ankle with a BUG and was pondering going inside. Thought this might be easier to conceal should I have an itch or need adjusting. I could just pretend to tie my shoe. Hard to do when its on the outside. Anywho, which positions do you all prefer when ankle carrying?

·
Registered
24,943 Posts
Don't carry on the ankle. Makes me limp to the heavy side.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a DeSantis "Apache" ankle holster and like it very much. I am right-handed and carry on the inside left leg. I also put on the holster (and the added leg strap) low. Then I sit and push the rig up until it is again covered by my pant leg. I had taken Mas Ayoob's advice about grabbing the pant leg above the knee to get a clean grab. I've recently been altering that advice with something I read and it made sense. Grab the pant leg with BOTH hands to make sure you really get that bad boy above the gun and then reach with the right hand like usual. Jury's still out. I like both methods but am starting to lean towards using both hands. I just need to get used to not using just the one. :eek:

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I'm with kruizer on this one. I don't use ankle rigs. I stand up too much at work for it to be a practical carry method.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Right handed...inside left ankle with my Taurus 740 slim. have also carried Kimber Ultra TLE II, but it was a touch big for my britches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I highly recommend the Galco Ankle Glove with calf strap. I carry my Taurus 605 in one, I went to a wedding last week and wore it for six hours, didn't bother me at all. I researched several ankle holsters and someone told me that he and his police officer friends all have these holsters. It was expensive but I'ts one of four holsters I own that I'm really happy with. The others are a crossbreed super tuck for the same Taurus 605, a smartcarry that I use with the 605, and a crossbreed appendix carry I use for my Taurus 809 compact.

·
Administrator
40,580 Posts
I don't often use this method, but when I do, it's inside, left leg. I'm right handed. Also, it's always holstered in a boot top. I can't hack anything heavier than a pocket pistol this way, just to much weight for an active long day.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Inside on the right leg in the boot top of 16" biker or cowboy boots when riding in T-shirt weather. Already limp and don't plan on walking much anyway plus the spare mags in the left boot top help balance it out some....

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Air gun

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
uncle mikes ankle holster inside right leg for my left hand can reach when driving and while sitting and eating no issues

jhp

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
​Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL inside left leg housed in a Galco® Ankle Glove™.

·
Registered
666 Posts
605 or a TCP738, inside left leg, right handed. Can carry all day, hardly know it there.

·
Registered
14,919 Posts
I tried it with a SP101 .357 and don't think I lasted an hour.

It just felt "weird".

I probably should have started out smaller and worked my way up to the heavier one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
605 or a TCP738, inside left leg, right handed. Can carry all day, hardly know it there.
That's me exactly. I use my DeSantis Apache ankle holster to carry my 605 38/357 revolver. It is very comfortable. And not exaggerating saying I forget it's there. I wear it and sometimes I lie down after lunch (at home!!!) to read. I am on the bed and don't realize my ankle has a holster and revolver on it. It is THAT comfortable. Seriously, if yours is not, maybe it's the holster (or gun...) and something is wrong because I could fall asleep with mine on. Yes, it's my experience and YMMV but it sure seems doable.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
A long time ago I used to carry a AMT Back-up inside left leg. It was an easy way to carry during hot weather when wearing long pants. I carried enough to become used to the extra weight and practiced getting to it until I was really pretty good at it. Then the lightbulb went off. To get to the gun from a standing position I had to drop my head to the perfect height and position for some bad guy to kick my brains in. No more.

These days I usually carry in the right front pocket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts