Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a big padded envelope in the mail today. Like many people, I order lots of stuff online, so even though I didn't recognize the sender, I opened it...

It was a "Lab Test at Home with the Urine Sample Collection Kit"!

I do have a doctor's appointment coming up, so I called their office to see if they had ordered it, if they had, well, OK, although getting it with a generic cover letter (no personalization) is still a bit creepy.
Nope, they didn't order it and they don't use that company.

So there was an 800 number on the form letter; I took a gamble and called it. They told me it was requested by my insurance company!
Anyway, I'm quite proud of myself, I managed to terminate the call without swearing at the poor lady who answered the phone. :phone:

And now I still want to swear! The blankety insurance company can go blankety blank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tests should be ordered by doctors, not insurance companies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: 1701 EST: The test kit went right in the garbage.

·
Registered
27,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I hate stuff like that. Ohio Workers Comp as well as other states want a test if you got hurt. I had to do that 4 weeks ago over an infection in my middle finger. Of course they cut half the finger off last week for necrosis and gangrene.

I only got stabbed by a metal chip.

Maloy

·
Registered
27,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hate stuff like that. Ohio Workers Comp as well as other states want a test if you got hurt. I had to do that 4 weeks ago over an infection in my middle finger. Of course they cut half the finger off last week for necrosis and gangrene.

I only got stabbed by a metal chip.

Maloy
You'd think a freshly cut chip would be sterile! Hope that's the end of it. Oops... that wasn't supposed to sound like that.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Super Moderator
35,514 Posts
Since my wife retires in a few days I've been doing the insurance run around. We never really compared the costs on her company plan versus Medicare which I became eligible for years ago, but it was so convenient to not have to change anything or have the invoices stare me in the face. I now have "Plan B", Medigap "Plan G" and in searching for a term life policy the nurse came to the house to draw blood, weigh me and ...yes...have me pee in a cup. The urine specimen is looking for nicotine primarily IIRC.

Now I am switching to a more competitive policy with another company and I am hoping like hell that they can use the pee already collected. :D

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Got a big padded envelope in the mail today. Like many people, I order lots of stuff online, so even though I didn't recognize the sender, I opened it...

It was a "Lab Test at Home with the Urine Sample Collection Kit"!

I do have a doctor's appointment coming up, so I called their office to see if they had ordered it, if they had, well, OK, although getting it with a generic cover letter (no personalization) is still a bit creepy.
Nope, they didn't order it and they don't use that company.

So there was an 800 number on the form letter; I took a gamble and called it. They told me it was requested by my insurance company!
Anyway, I'm quite proud of myself, I managed to terminate the call without swearing at the poor lady who answered the phone. :phone:

And now I still want to swear! The blankety insurance company can go blankety blank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tests should be ordered by doctors, not insurance companies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: 1701 EST: The test kit went right in the garbage.
Let us know when you get the letter from your insurance company cancelling your policy because you refused to follow their protocol. When you go to another company for insurance they will see in your file that you "tried to hide something"(, their view not mine) and see how much more the new policy will cost you.

Don

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Super Moderator
19,625 Posts
My insurance sends me test kits all the time. I just toss them because I know I have those tests done 3 times/year during regularly scheduled primary care visits. Mine is a medigap and they can't drop ya. They may not always like my choices but when I remind them I outrank them with credentials they just wish me a nice day.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
Since the insurance company is not in the business of tending to your medical condition, per HIPAA, they're not really entitled to ask. they do not provide treatment or care of you. Their job is to see medical treatments and preventatives and determine whether or not to pay for them. THAT'S IT. If they determine they need to get bloodwork, a pee or stool sample, they can notify your primary care physician and request those tests. If your PCP tells you to pee in a cup for the insurance company, you can refuse outright. Insurance companies are businesses whose goal is to make money. they do not provide any health or medical care. they only foot part of the bill for it.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Did you call your insurance agent to find out why they ordered the test? And call your state insurance commissioner to see if they legally can require the test?

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
First of all, I'm no doctor, but there's nothing that prevents me from asking you to urinate in a cup, just like I can ask you for your credit card number.

Second, I bet your insurance company has a doctor on the payroll that ordered the test.

Third, I bet you've agreed with your insurance company to provide any medical information they request for reasonable purposes.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
First of all, I'm no doctor, but there's nothing that prevents me from asking you to urinate in a cup, just like I can ask you for your credit card number.

Second, I bet your insurance company has a doctor on the payroll that ordered the test.

Third, I bet you've agreed with your insurance company to provide any medical information they request for reasonable purposes.
The insurance company can and usually does have at least 1 doctor on staff. but they can only request info regarding a patient. they can't order a medical test or procedure if they are not treating a patient. The reason they do this is to increase how much they can charge you so if it costs them 10 mil to order urine test kits for all their clients they know a great many people will complete them without question. Look at all the info people offer up on social media for free. Out of that 10 mil they spend they will get enough results to be able to increase rates by at least 30 million. So now the question becomes "well, why not do it and see who complies?"
A person's medical history is private per HIPAA. That means there has to be a specific need to know when requesting that info. If your "need" is so that you can charge them more, that request is denied.

·
Super Moderator
35,514 Posts
Let us know how this works out for you!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
During the prolonged lockdown, I couldn't get A1c testing done. My insurance company sent me a home test kit and mailed back results. Yes, they now know my BCG. Since they pay for the meds and visits anyway, I don't think it significantly adds to their information base.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts