Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas i am fired up. This is one beautiful pocket rocket ; had it two days. Sold my kt pf9 and bot the taurus the next day shot 1 rd and so far i can rell u the felt recoil is noticably less than the pf9 i like that. Nothing against keltec but that 9 kicked very hard. Plus imo the taurus looks and feels more refined. Anyhow i need your input re; what ammo your 709 likes to shoot reliably and any other helpful info u can share. Thanks ahead of time. BTW. This my 2nd tauri my first one is a PT 845 had it about a year 1400 rds later and still loving it. Range report coming soon.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
after a thorough cleaning before shooting anything, my 709 eats anything and everything without issue. congrats on the new pistol

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Congrats on the new 709. I love mine and I think you will too. Not sure how you can shoot just one round. Kind of like potato chips. You can't eat just one! I do hope you field stripped it and gave it a good cleaning/lubing and if not, then do it before you run anymore rounds through it. The packing substance Taurus uses to ship their guns needs to be cleaned out before shooting them. On the ammo, mine has no problems with Federal, Blazer, or Independence, but when new, it didn't like Winchester Wite box. I have over 500 through it and I need to retry that brand again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Congrats on the new gun! I just got the 740 and so far I love it! I put a box of 50 PMC Bronze through it without any issues.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Winchester white box 115 gr FMJ, Independence 115 FMJ, Blazer Brass 124 gr FMJ have all functioned fine in mine, with nice accuracy & pretty good groups from all 3 brands. Congratulations on your new Taurus.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Only ammo I've ever had problems with was Federal Champions 9mm and .40 across several guns. Otherwise, my 709 have eaten everything else fed from 115gr, 124 gr FMJ and 147gr. JHP.

I will welcome you to the Slim family, but no congrats needed for making a wise decision. LOL

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,699 Posts
I've only had two problems with my 709.

Not enough ammo, it eats everything. And not enough range time :D

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Congrats on the new 709.
I support the previous statements about cleaning your new 709. Clean the packing grease out of it, then oil it. Mine has eaten every type of ammo I ran through it.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Congrats on a great choice!
My 709 (as well as my 809) has eaten everything I've fed it with no problems.
I usually carry Hornady Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dot (124gr), depending on which is a better deal when I can find it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was able to rent a 709 yesterday and fire 50 rounds through it. I really enjoyed it, moreso than the 740 I rented last week. I already have a M85 I really like, but I think the 709 would be easy to carry concealed comparatively. The shop had a 709 for $350ish. I'm just not sure I need it...

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I was able to rent a 709 yesterday and fire 50 rounds through it. I really enjoyed it, moreso than the 740 I rented last week. I already have a M85 I really like, but I think the 709 would be easy to carry concealed comparatively. The shop had a 709 for $350ish. I'm just not sure I need it...
Not sure you need it? I see a Taurus M85SS3 - .38 Special in your list. If that's your only HD/SD pistol you might considering another. The 709 (as a candidate) will conceal more easily, it will carry 3 more rounds, reloading is faster, mags print less than speed loaders, standard 9mm packs more of a punch than +P 38. jump up to +P 9 and you have a LARGE spread! A back up gun is not a bad idea - even if that is back up for one being repaired.
My .02!

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Damn, mingaa, you had me so fired up I almost jumped in my truck to go buy another 709. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts