Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Springfield Armory XD40 subcompact. It is going to be my new concealed carry pistol. I know it's "only a .40" but the primary driver for this switch is the consistent man-machine interface. I have an XD9 that I shoot often and an XD45 that I use for home defense. Now that I have an XD40 for concealed carry, the controls on three guns are going to be consistent. Don't you hate using a different computer and realizing it has a two-button mouse when you're so used to your three-button one? Or how about using a three-button one when you're used to having a wheel mouse? Can you imagine having a fire extinguisher with a pull-out pin to unlock the lever? What if you have another one with a screw out pin to unlock the lever? What if you had another one that had a carabiner style clip? It's the same concept at work here. I'm so used to shooting the XD that sometimes I wonder if I'll forget to drop the manual safety on my PT-145 in a panic situation. Whenever I shoot my PT-145, I often include dropping the safety as part of the firing sequence. I try to make that short thumb movement come naturally. That's great but it's not needed when I shoot my XDs. So there's inconsistency in training and that's always been in the back of my mind... till now.

Don't worry, I'm not giving up on the Taurus PT-145. I'll still take it to the range occasionally. It's just that it will be outnumbered 3 to 1 in my gun safe. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes, I have the same issue at home. My CCW is a PT145, which has a safety that you slide UP to be in safe mode. My nightstand gun is a Ruger P90 which you slide DOWN to be in safe mode. So, the two safeties are reversed. I am a little concerned that in the heat of the moment I might get confused.

Todd

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another thing with the consistent interface is the trigger. The Taurus PT-145 has a significantly long trigger pull compared to the XDs. The sight pictures are the same now between my practice, carry and home defense guns. I tend to shoot low for the first couple of magazines if I haven't shot my PT-145 in a while. I don't have that issue going from one XD to another.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Thats the same reason I took my 1911 out of the carry rotation. I was worried about forgetting to release the safety if I had to draw. I went to all carry guns that just require pulling the trigger.

You could trade that PT-145 on a nice Taurus revolver?????

Steelheart

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not big on revolvers. If I get rid of the PT-145, it will be for a pocket pistol like a Keltec .380 for 'light days'.

I'm not saying the PT-145 is not a good carry weapon. I think it's a great personal defense weapon. It packs a lot of punch in a small subcompact package. 10+1 of .45ACP is no small matter. That's why I carried the PT-145 in the first place. I got tired of trying to justify the effectiveness of carrying the 9mm with all sorts of arguments for "shot placement" and links to 9mm expansion tests. However, I had just taken on the mindset of consistency in training is of high importance. If I had three other pistols that worked just like the PT-145 and that's 99% of what I shot at the range, then I'd still carry the PT-145 without reservation.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Hey Prop'Head:

Just out of curiosity, what was the distance from that target? That be one DEADLY group!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was actually a target I shot with 50 rounds with my XD9 Service at 7 yards. I've put over 10,000 rounds through it in the first year of owning it so it's become an extension of my hand. :) I just needed a quick background for the photo.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Now, let me get this straight, propellerhead: that's a subcompact XD by Springfield,
the barrel is what, just three point something inches? It's also a DAO firearm.
Geez, makes me feel like going out & getting one for myself!

And how does it handle? Did you have any kind of problems with it, FTF's, FTE's or whatever?
Any more info & feedback you can pass along on that firearm would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really impressed with the XD line. This one is my third XD. They are really popular and the Cabela's near me can't keep enough of them in stock. Come to XDTalk.com for all the XD info you can handle.

Here's a thread about my XD9. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=827.0

PS. I've been to Tulsa a few times. Always loved spelling it backwards. ;)

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Yeah Prop., roger on that reverse spelling of Tulsa! (LOL)
Thanks for that info. I will check out that link.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Hey Propellerhead:

I checked out that link about your XD's. Very interesting reading. I was impressed.
In fact, I'm gonna take a ride over to my local Bass Pro shop to see if they have any XD's in stock.
I'm sort of deciding between a .40 & a .45acp.

I'm a bit of a .40 caliber freak, having no less than four pistols in that caliber! I have two
Taurus pistols in forty: the PT101SS, the PT940SSPRL, a Llama Mini-max, & a Glock 27. If I DO
get the Springfield XD, it will be either the .40 or the .45. And, I'm still not sure whether to get
the subcompact, or the compact with the four inch barrel.

Give me your thoughts on that when you get the chance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not a fan of the XD45 compact. I got the Taurus PT-145 because it didn't look like Springfield Armory was coming out with a subcompact .45 anytime soon. The compact to me is a lame compromise and it hasn't really been as popular as they had thought. The Service model has been really popular. Even 1911 fans like it.

I like both the .40 and the .45. It would be a tough choice but since you have several .40s already, I'd get a .45 Service. But that's me and I have one.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Hey Prop. Which one is the service model? I'm still checking them out. Is that the full five incher, or what?
I went to Bass Pro this afternoon; & looked at a four inch model in the showcase. I did not handle it; but
after looking at it, I think perhaps I'd like the subcompact model for carrying.

I think I'm gonna break down & get one. It'll most likely be in .45 caliber.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are the options:

XD45 Tactical (5 inch)
XD45 Service (4 inch)
XD45 Compact (4 inch with short grip)

XD40 Tactical
XD40 Service
XD40 Subcompact (3 inch)

XD9 Tactical
XD9 Service
XD9 Subcompact

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm somewhat surprised that the Compact isn't selling well. You get the longer sight radius and extra velocity with the easier concealment of the shorter grip. I'm hoping that they come out with a Compact for the other calibers as I currently carry an XD9SC but would like the longer slide.

But then again, the Compact size 1911's (Officers size frame with a 4" slide) never seemed to do well but they didn't sit long on the dealers shelves the few times I saw them.

Steelheart

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm guessing it's because those who want a range/competition gun want a regular size pistol. Those who want one for carry want a subcompact. I can't carry a 4-inch barrel. It stabs me when I sit down and the longer slide influences the grip and makes it stick out more. I guess most gun owners own more than one gun, each serving a different purpose.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i have been very drawn to the xd's as well, i bought my 24/7 mostly out of money concerns, i was unhappy with my hardballer and needed something different, i shot another guys pt145 at the range and it left a good impression. i went the direction of getting a pt140 as my compact so that the feel of the compact was the same as the 24/7, i will probably stick with these two for several years and then switch to the xd's and put these in the night stand. the xd compact is the only other compact that fits my hands decent. i was also amazed at how much more comfortable the compact was to carry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I looked into the XD-9 before buying my PT111, but it was too wide. I have a 30 in. waist and concealing anything thick is incredibly hard for me to do without looking like I have a tumor on my hip.

Good choice for your training, though. If you train with guns that do not have safeties, then you must train even more to get used to the extra feature. My home defense gun is a Sig P220 DA/SA with a decocker, but my carry gun is the PT111. I train with my carry gun much more than the nightstand gun, and you have no idea how many times I've drawn the P220 at the range and swept my thumb over the end of the slide.

Train how you fight.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Thats not a bad thing to have happen in training. I've heard of many 1911 guys who have that same habit and the same thing happens when they practice with other guns, even revolvers.

Steelheart

·
Registered
178 Posts
I carry my XD45 Service backed up by my PT-145. I would probably change that if SA ever comes out with a true sub-compact XD45, it will probably replace my PT-145. I too would prefer to have both guns be the same make & caliber.

tex

1 - 20 of 27 Posts