Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was chatting with a buddy this past weekend and somehow we got onto the subject of the semi-recent New Orleans gun confiscation related to hurricane Katrina. They basically went door-to-door taking all the guns. He suggested buying a gun or two from an individual, so it wouldn't be on a list of things to be taken from you....since you don't have to register firearms in Texas and the least documented way to legally buy one is from an individual.

What is your opinion: Could it happen elsewhere? If so, would you want something stashed away so that the bad guys (looters, crooks, whatever) were not the only ones left armed?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I've thought about the very same thing. Should I stash a gun or two (long gun & hand gun) and ammo away somewhere in case of some sort of Post-Katrina like confiscation? I have a few family members that have passed away and did not will their guns to anyone. There was a spoken agreement between them and the rest of the family as to who would inherit those guns. So technically the paper trail on them is literally dead. Might be prudent to oil em up real good and seal them up in a wall somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
The Govenor of TN tryed saying he had the right to confiscate our guns in an emergancy and was alnost ran out of town soon our state congress adopted a bill saying under NO circumstance could the Government ever take away our right to protect ourselves this all happened in around a 30 day period so speak up folks. Governors don't like loseing there jobs!

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
You know, as I do not have to say what I am going to CCW, and the records are alledgely gone after so many hours from the insta checks. :rolleyes: Keep your least liked gun ready for confiscation, :p and move the rest into storage however you chose to do it, :D if the brown matter hits the circling wind maker and stuff starts to fly all over us. :mad:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Robby said:
Yeah, ship my guns to my son's, have them ship theirs to me. :) No paper trail, :D but about your wall sir. :rolleyes: Remember metal detectors work everywhere. ;)
True. But if they are serious enough to start waving a metal detector through my house, then they will find the guns wherever they are. That being said, it won't do you any good if you have your son's guns instead of yours. The gubment won't care whose gun it is. They'll take it anyway.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Many States have passed laws forbidding the confiscation of weapons during an emergency.

I highly doubt that if the govt is going house to house taking guns they will be spending the time using metal detectors to check inside all the walls or ceilings of your house. Besides, there are things like wiring, water pipes and chimney flues (depending on the type of house etc) that are all made of metal and already inside your walls. Unless you have already attracted the wrong type of attention from someone....

However, if you feel that the govt. (State or Federal) might do something like this then it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a few items stashed away. Don't forget extra ammo, spare magazines, cleaning supplies and a spare holster if its a handgun. There are many places on the internet where people discuss where, how etc to stash weapons.

Steelheart

·
Administrator
39,384 Posts
I think a lot of what took place during Katrina was governmental burglary. People had evacuated and weren't home. :bang:

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
There were a lot of people murdered and worse during katrina that nobody is saying anything about they are still finding bodies with bullet holes in them, OH excuse me Hurricane driven objects . In other words a historical cluster f.........! When Andrew hit Florida there were armed people patroling what was left of there neighborhood with signs posted trespassers will be shot posted at the front. This was clearly shown on the news and the police and national gaurd did not have a problem with it neither did the Govenor.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Dotto to what Steelheart said concerning the passage of new laws. The Texas legislature passed such a provision in their last session. The law went into effect on September 1, 2007. I have seen on the NRA website where there are the same provisions pending in several states. Theft by government fiat is more than a high crime. :mad:

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Smokewagon said:
I think a lot of what took place during Katrina was governmental burglary. People had evacuated and weren't home. :bang:
You do know they took guns from the cars of people who were evacuating, and took guns from occupied homes of people who did not evacuate, leaving them defenseless.

·
Registered
959 Posts
paulrabe78,... +1

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I did a report on New Orleans about 8 years ago, at the time (and i bet it still stands) the Police there was the least paid in the country, it's no wonder then that they was also found to be corrupt.

how many of them went Awol during the storm? how many was looting the nearest wally world?
I heard most of the "nicer" guns that was confiscated just disappeared.. hmm wonder where they went.

I dont think anyone else will try this stunt in the near term, but people have short memories so im sure it'll be tried again in areas that did'nt enact laws forbidding this.

I once heard someone say "the day you need to bury your guns, is the day you need to dig them up" or something like that..

If they come for my guns, they'll get them but i'll be handing over the ammo first, 1 round at a time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
When a NICS check is run for a purchase, the federal law says the "FBI" can only keep the record of the purchase for less than 48 hours and only for statistical purposes. A list of gun buyers is nothing more than gun registration, which the feds are prohibited from doing. Many, if not all, NICS checks are run through the local state police and there is nothing in federal law that says the state cops can't keep records.

I became aware of this before retirement, when I overheard an officer on the Gang Task Force calling the state police to see if whats-his-name had purchased any guns.

There is only one reason for gun registration, and that is for confiscation. "They" have to know where they are before "they" can round them up.

Some of my colleagues and I discussed this issue years ago, and we all agreed that we would refuse an order to confiscate guns. Most of us are retired now, and unfortunately there are many eager-beavers out there who will fall in line and follow orders, no matter how wrong they are.

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
here's a surprise for everyone when they build your nice new gun they test fire it several times well one of the bullets is sent to the FBI along with the serial number on your nice new gun and its entered into a really big data base so when they find a bullet in someone and its ran through the scanner they can match it to your gun and bingo thats how they keep track without haveing to keep the paper trail. So once you sign the insta-check the guns serial # is recorded along with your name into the bullet data base. So its just a matter of words do they keep your records no. They destroy the insta-check but have an original bullet with all it markings and the original buyers serial number.
its like the DNA,fingerprint data base just one more way to track you down. Don't forget Homland security and the unified drivers lic. That will eventually have a chip in it that will have all your info just like your bank cards do except these will have the ability to track your movements anywhere. BIG BROTHER IS HERE FOLKS.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
no i was not aware they sent a fired round to the FBI for cataloging, YES i did know the guns is fired at the factory but i thought only for testing..

the thing is my understanding is it's a lot more difficult to match a bullet then they show on TV and is actually a fairly low success rate.

btw got a bigger picture of those rusted out guns.. that one looks like a hi-point.. ha you coudl just send it in and get it replaced lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
as far as the bullet fingerprint, just be a little rough on it w/ your brush when cleaning it if your worried about that, the sucess rate is low because barrels wear.

i truelly think when they get serious about confiscating guns, it will be by tracking ammo purchases, a simple swipe of your drivers license "to verify the age for the protection of the cashier" will provide the evidence needed. they then know that they are looking for a gun of a particular caliber. tracing down a 50 yr old gun is tough, but an ammo purchase from a few months ago would be easy.

estates and handshakes are the best way to get guns, but the key to the confiscation issue is common sense, you are not worth anything to anybody sitting behind bars, several people here have made very wise statements.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts