Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came to the living room this AM to find this:

The hubiscus spends many months outdoors but despite living in lower sunlight - delivered a winning bloom on Christmas morning.

Family will be here for brunch shortly.

Let the schmaltzy stories begin!!! :D

*edit: stand up straight my flowering friend (rotated it!)

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
The Hibiscus is my plant hero. We got a gift of a potted hibiscus and when it became root bound I transplanted it in front of our home, fully expecting it to be dead within weeks just like all the other "Hardy, drought-tolerent, Florida Xeriscape" species that I have put in the sand. (Any good soil found on our island has been imported.)

Now, many years later, it towers over me and is in full bloom this Christmas Morning!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep - I love to walk among them not only in FL (where I have a lot of family) but also the Caribbean where my dad resided on and off for many years. It is a favorite flower!

This is one was a gift last year to my ailing MIL from a dear friend earlier this year. She passed this summer and we 'inherited' it. I did re-pot it and it has already quadrupled in size. I think we will have it for many years to come.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
That hi??? Errr hu??? Plant just wanted to say Merry Christmas mingaa.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
31,748 Posts
And to think, I left mine outside to freeze and die! The wife has a brown thumb anyhow.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I just knew it was going to be another Glock when I opened the thread. :D

I was surprised.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
That sue is a beauty, mingaa! thanks so much for posting - it's a good omen for the next year! Merry Christmas to all!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And to think, I left mine outside to freeze and die! The wife has a brown thumb anyhow.
Merry Christmas you cruel man!!!

Actually, I like gardens more than house plants but this one has a special meaning!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just knew it was going to be another Glock when I opened the thread. :D

I was surprised.
Well, maybe the plant should have a name?!?!
G...L...

:p

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

·
22,034 Posts
That. Is. Amazing. It's really hard to mount a pot to the wall like that, much less get the plant to grow perpendicular to gravity. Wow.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That. Is. Amazing. It's really hard to mount a pot to the wall like that, much less get the plant to grow perpendicular to gravity. Wow.
I'm a pretty handy guy with a quirky sense of interior design!! :)

Actually i shot it and uploaded directly from my phone AND the orientation was fine all AM and the last I looked. I'll give it a spin in Photoshop. That is odd?!?! :eek:

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Nice Hibiscus. As you are aware they grow like weeds around here. Flowers are pretty rare any more since we are over run with iguanas and they love to eat them as quick as they appear.

Reactions: mingaa and darbo

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd say it looks like in a day or so you will have another blossom on top!
Yeah - I'm really surprised that after coming inside it is not dormant. It lost a few leaves initially then put out some new growth and buds. I plucked them off to save energy but it is going to flower more!

It was pretty chilly when I brought it in. Maybe it thinks 68 degrees IS spring?! :)

Reactions: darbo
1 - 16 of 16 Posts