Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
8,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I say unbiased because I have shot/owned almost every S&W semi auto during the last 10 years, and I feel I can give ya'all a real review. What they did right with this update, and what they got wrong.

The new Shield is presented as previous M&P's, So-So cardboard box, manual, nice wrap, and in this case two magazines. One is 13 round and one 10 round. The magazines are the usual exceptional quality that S&W is known for. This model is the basic package with their normal 3 dot sight system, which are great basic sights. The 13 round mag extension spacer fits well and I can't feel the gap when shooting. My right hand blocks the mag from ejecting smoothly, so I have to adjust my grip some. Both mags are a little hard to load full, but with an uplula no problem. Also both mags seat when full without having to give them that extra love tap. The pistol cycles normally when 13+1 or 10+1 are loaded,,not too tight. Which is a complaint I have for some other manufacturer's micro hi cap pistols.

Here is how the shield looked after its initial 60 round run today. This version of the Shield + weighs 20.2 oz's holding the 13 round mag unloaded. With 13+1 of 124grain 9mm ammo it weighs 27 oz's. The new Shield is about 1/16" wider at the palm swell when compared to the Shield 2.0. I measure it 1.032". It is also a bit taller, but not enough to notice. Other spec's from big blue:
Capacity 10+1, 13+1
Length 6",Width: 1.1", and Height: 4.6"
Front Sight White Dot
Rear Sight White 2-Dot
Striker Fired
Grip Polymer
Barrel Material Stainless Steel with Armornite® Finish
Slide Material Stainless Steel with Armornite® Finish
Frame Material Polymer
Slide Finish Matte Black
Frame Finish Matte Black
Barrel Length 3.1” (7.9 cm)

So what's different? Obviously the magazine capacity is increased, and this re-engineering of the frame/magazine was done very well, both with a smart magazine design and a hardly noticeable width increase. +1 for S&W. The trigger - WOW! way to go blue guys! It looks like a small change, but it made a real difference. Out of box trigger pull was 4.3 lbs. The pull is smooth, about 1/8" until you hit a fairly solid wall, then pull though to an excellent break. Reset is short about, 1/8" to a tactile set. +1 for S&W. Oh and another thing I noticed about the trigger, it is faster, triple taps just seem to flow almost on automatic. I imagine my split times will be quicker. But my only complaint is about something that most users would say was much better than the previous Shields. The grip texture! Now don't get me wrong this revised textured surface feels great against the skin, But so does smooth plastic. Well... I have large hands and an aggressive grip texture in sub-compact's and micro's is a must for me to keep that little grip from torquing. -1 for S&W.

New Shield on the left, almost new sub-compact on the right. You can see the difference in texture.

Here is a view to compare the SC with the new Shield. Similar capacity and both are very good shooters. But I shoot the SC better. Well that should not be a surprise as the width and texture of the grip is more tuned to my paws. That's not to say the new shield is a slouch in the accuracy department.

I only ran a few rounds through the sub-compact as this review is about the Shield plus. The targets look good, so what am I griping about...right!..or left actually. Because the grip moves a bit, I was shooting the old its going left pattern. Had to move to Kentucky to find the right windage. It's not bad, however when my box of Sig V crowns come in, I will do another test and adjust the sights accordingly. Oh by the way Sig is selling 50 round boxes of 115grn Vcrown defense ammo for about $70 shipped. They ship fast, ordered this am, got shipping this afternoon. So how to end this review? Can I sell my subcompact and replace it with the new Shield? Hmmm. At this point I am keeping both. Probably going to order a compact 15 round mag and use the provided spacer to up my mag capacity for the sub compact. So I now have three in carry rotation. For cold weather the CZ P01 omega, mild weather the M&P SC and summer it will be the Shield. I know ... I am soooo spoiled. Was this new pistol worth the $529+tax I paid. Well heck no! But if the crisis ever ends $429 would be a good price. But then every firearm I want to own is about $100 or more too high these days. Sigh...

·
Administrator
35,561 Posts
Great review ! I'm not sure I would part with my regular Shield, but it's nice to know the gun is solid. What struck me is the fact that Smith and Wesson looks like they went with a blade-type trigger safety on their new gun ! What the heck....there was a huge lawsuit back in the 90's about that, and S&W's solution was the trigger safety that made it look like the trigger was broken in half....you can see it in your picture of the old Shield. I wonder if they're getting away from their own design solution.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Thanks for the review, I'd like to shoot one someday.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
81 Posts
It looks like there isn't much room in the trigger guard in front of the trigger. Did you notice that at all when shooting? Just wonder if it might be a little bit of an issue.

·
8,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like there isn't much room in the trigger guard in front of the trigger. Did you notice that at all when shooting? Just wonder if it might be a little bit of an issue.
I hadn't thought of that, I had no issues, but if wearing winter gloves maybe....

·
Administrator
18,181 Posts
Very Interesting and thoughtful review! :) Wonder if S&W got jealous of seeing Apex Triggers installed on their Pistols? :unsure:

Congratulations on your new S&W Shield Plus and may it serve you well! :)

Oh by the way Sig is selling 50 round boxes of 115grn Vcrown defense ammo for about $70 shipped.
$70 for 50 rounds? o_O Glad I stocked up on Defensive Ammunition a few years ago! Yeeesh! :rolleyes:

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice review. I bought a Plus a month ago and like seeing others are liking it as much as I. I was somewhat lucky that the Dealer I bought mine at sold me a 100 round box of Winchester 115 gr ball ammo go $60. I was hesitant at first because I more than 1000 rounds stacked in my closet but then I figured, who knows how long this ammo drought will last. Anyway, I am pretty happy with this Shield Plus. Nice shooter....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts