Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to do a little trading at one of my favorite LGS's, sold my old Walther PK380 to fund the purchase of a new M&P Shield 380 EZ. While we were doing the paper work I noticed a shiny thing out of the corner of my eye. Aw yes the old crow in me was cawing about this old shiny 22 revolver. I have been looking for a cheap, easy to shoot 22 da/sa revolver for awhile since I sold off my Ruger LCRX 22lr, while that trigger was smooth the DA pull was atrocious.
P1030222.jpg
This 9 shot 22 H&R was made in 1953, it is two years older than me, and is now the oldest functional firearm in my collection.
P1030225.jpg
It weighs in at 26.7 oz's, the DA trigger pull is a very smooth 11lbs, the SA pull is a crisp 4lbs. With the six inch barrel the overall length is 10.5", height is 4 5/8", and the width is 1 1/4" at the cylinder-1 1/2 " at the bottom of the grips. The rifling is deep and shiny, so to are the cylinder chambers. The action is smooth, the trigger blade is wide and serrated, and feels great. H&R sure knew how to make good revolvers back then.
P1030227.jpg
I ran about 120 rounds of mixed 22LR through it yesterday. This old fart revolver ran perfect and shot pretty dang good.
P1030233.jpg
Sure the nickel plating is wearing off, and the sights are...well minimalistic at best. The front blade sight is very thin and tall, but matches perfectly with the rear notch. At the distances I shot at, I just put the top of the blade into the notch, at longer distances simply walk the blade up above the top of the notch. This mature gentleman set me back $180 which was probably a bit high, but it shoots so good for a senior citizen.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
65 is young. I’m trying to keep one from 1870 on life support. It’s my oldest semi-functional firearm, and my only Colt. I intend to change both of those points in my collection. I really want a trooper and I want period pieces from the major American wars. Not necessarily military guns, but guns with personality. Like a Smith #1-1/2 would have been an affluent officers personal gun on many battlefields during the war of northern aggression. My 1896 S&W 38 safety hammerless would have been at home in the trenches of ww1, and my grandfathers single shot 22 kept the family eating through the Great Depression and gave him a way to escape from stateside ww2 after his brother Ted was killed. Honestly I’m not too sure that I own more than 4 or 5 guns that the designs are newer than your old revolver.

for that price though...Well bought.

·
Registered
981 Posts
H&R's are a decent, well built revolver. My 660 Gunfighter was made for only one year, 1960-61. I like its heavy 11 lb. D/A pull for cheap DAO practice in .22 lr.

Many parts are interchangeable and still widely available.

P1110571.JPG

·
23,101 Posts
Nice revolver! Do I see a small lever at the rear of the triggerguard? What's that?

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
981 Posts
That little lever thingy (exposed sear) acts somewhat like a safety.

Pull the hammer back to full cock,
006 (2).JPG
Then let the hammer down easy to half cock. The action is now locked up. Cylinder bolt, hammer and trigger are now frozen.
009.JPG

To release this lock, lightly pull back the hammer, whilst pressing the sear. This releases the lockup, allowing the hammer to fall & reset the trigger.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice 22 and some good shooting as well. Congrats for both!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
H&R's are a decent, well built revolver. My 660 Gunfighter was made for only one year, 1960-61. I like its heavy 11 lb. D/A pull for cheap DAO practice in .22 lr.

Many parts are interchangeable and still widely available.

View attachment 427287
now that is a beauty for sure,i'd like to add one to my family someday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts