Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how it goes, go into a gun shop to pick something up and the lonely pistols start dancing and yelling your name..Well maybe its just me. So this story starts innocently enough - My fav LGS also sells fireworks, went there yesterday to pick up more ground works for my Grandkid's stash. Bought up a bunch of half off stuff, and made the mistake of getting too close to the gun cases.

Meet the Bersa TPR-9, this is the full-size variant. The TPR-9 is an all metal DA/SA pistol with a de-cocker. All the controls are ambi ( mag release can be swapped to the other side ). These large, flush mount controls are so easy to operate, and do not interfere with my grip.

One of the first features that grabbed me was the very simple take down.. From the position the pistol is above,first verify is empty, let slide go home. Rotate the little forward lever 90 degrees down and the slide comes off. That's it! The color scheme was my second draw. I imagine my camera isn't showing it correctly, but this shade of FDE just looks like it belongs on a pistol. The finish is evenly applied both inside and outside, and after 8 - 17 round mags, there was no finish wear.

Next surprise is the DA/SA trigger. Out of the box is equal to a SIG SRT. This out of box trigger in DA mode is a 1/2 inch unbelievably smooth travel to a wall and breaking fairly crisp, then just under an 1/8" reset, with a 1/16" pull back to the wall. DA pull is 7lb 8oz's, SA pull is 3lb 2oz's, a very sweet trigger. The de-cocker acts like 92 or 75 de-cockers, and is pretty easy to manipulate.

This is how it looked after the 124 round run yesterday. All the staining is oil/carbon, once wiped down, the finish was still perfect. Here are some specs: 4.25" polygonal rifled barrel, 5.5" high, 7.5" long and 1.45" wide at controls ( the slim slide allows it to fit in some of my Glock holsters ). It comes with 2-17 round Italian ( mec-gar?? ) mags, a 2 slot pic rail, and Sig compatible sights in the three dot pattern.

The TPR9 has an uncaptured RSA with a steel guide rod. The alloy frame and steel upper combine for a 30.7oz unloaded weight.

Not my best outing, and if you have looked at the grip you can probably figure out why. The one piece grip module has almost no friction, the backstrap has some horiz texture, but the side and front have useless vertical lines. As you can see from the strings above I couldn't quite find the bull as the pistol moved a bit, those outliers were rapid fire trying to figure out the right cadence. I finally got some good strings towards the end of the run, but I was strangling the pistol with my left hand. .Easy fix - talon grips on the way. Now lets talk about shooting impressions, smooth baby smooth!! It ate all my reloads, runs like a good Beretta 92, easy rack and very little recoil. Is it worth the $419 I paid?? Not sure. Time will tell. Thanks for dropping by.

Administrator
Congratulations on your new Bersa TPR 9 and may it serve you well! :)

Ah yes, the LGS, also known as the local temptation store. Very nice review and a very very interesting Pistol you have there. 馃啋
I had been interested in the earlier "Thunder 9" version a long time ago, but never seen one for sale.
The newer version, the TPR 9, is even more interesting. Thankyou for reminding me of it's existence! :)

Btw, some of this Pistol's design heritage can be traced back to the Walther P88. Walther P88 - Wikipedia

Also, here is another review:

Reactions: silverstring

Super Moderator
Very interesting new offering from Bersa! Congrats on the new gun.

Premium Member
Wow, what will they think of next. It came with two magazines and a keyboard!

What is that ATF (or AFT for the mentally challenged) notice in the gun case? I've never seen one of those when I purchased a gun. Is that something unique to your jurisdiction?

Discussion Starter · #5 ·

What is that ATF (or AFT for the mentally challenged) notice in the gun case? I've never seen one of those when I purchased a gun. Is that something unique to your jurisdiction?
The ATF pamphlet is common around here in some of my new pistols. youth safety stuff

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

Premium Member

Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The keyboard will cost extra 馃お

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

Registered
DA/SA I'm interested. All metal DA/SA, I'm very interested.

Looks great. ...but they could tone down the slide release and safeties a little.

Thanks for the review SS.

Registered
I've heard nothing but good things about the big bersas. I'm waiting for them to release a threaded thunder plus. I think that would be a sweet little can host.

Registered
Nice surprise and thanks for the review!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts